A brief history of the Annual Schnauzer Walk

Our members organise Schnauzer walks and Schnauzer Events all over the country and you will find all the details here. Join in and make some new friends for you and your Schnauzer. Feel free to share your travel tips here too.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

A brief history of the Annual Schnauzer Walk

Post by Dinkum »

In December 2011, one of our members, Riiseni, made a suggestion about organising a big get together of Schnauzers. There was even talk of a Guinness World Record attempt. The original thread is here. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After drumming up interest, Elaine (Caramomo) finally suggested that we hold the walk over a weekend in May and the game was afoot, although we still did not have a venue. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10109&start=75#p163037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; By this time, the idea of a schnauzerfest had already been muted. This was to spin off into another great fundraising idea by Janetta (BeeBee). BeeBee was also the first poster to suggest we look at Dovedale. By this time, it was clear that the dates were going to be 19/20 May for the first Annual Schnauzer Walk and that the Peak District would be a good central location for everyone.

The hunt was still on for a venue. Lots of suggestions, but we didn't manage to firm up anything until the end of January. Jacob (Jacob123) suggested that the walk from Dovedale to Milldale would be quite nice, with some stunning views of the Peak District and the river Dove.

By the end of January, it was all pretty much sorted. We had the dates, the venue, toilets had been discussed, camping sites critiqued, tearooms sampled and we were all ready to start what would turn out to be an annual event.

After arranging all the walks, we had to think of food and where to stay. Most people opted for camping, either in tents or caravans. Some took the easy option and booked into a local B&B. They must have known how wet it was going to be. An evening meal was also arranged by Elaine and me for the Saturday evening.

The first Annual Schnauzer Walk was a great weekend away. I think there were over 50 dogs on the Saturday for the full walk to Milldale and back. We were 18 people for the evening meal and there must have been about 40 dogs on the Sunday walk. The Sunday walk was a shorter version of Saturday walk.

2015 will be the 4th Annual Schnauzer Walk with people and dogs coming from all over. There has been no formal organisation as such and everyone is free to join in as they see fit. The hope is that it will remain loosely organised walk amongst friends, furry and otherwise. Keep your eyes open for posts on here and if you are on Facebook, then there is the Annual Schnauzer Walk Facebook page. There are some photo's from last year's walk here. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See here for details on this year's walk which is taking place on the weekend of 16 and 17 May. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=20552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.