Rehoming a Standard Schnauzer

If you have recently taken in a rescue Schnauzer or rehomed a Schnauzer and need some advice, then please feel free to ask here. Whether it be about integrating your new dog into your home, health or behavioural issues, someone is sure to be able to help.
Essjay
Puppy
First Name: SJ

Rehoming a Standard Schnauzer

Post by Essjay »

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while while trying to find out all I could about the
Schnauzer breed as I was considering buying a Schnauzer puppy in the future after falling in love with
the breed.

Things have been fast forwarded a bit and I'm hopefully about to adopt a 9 month old standard!
His current family have had to put him in kennels for due to a fight with another dog in the family
probably due to the fact they were both intact males.

Although I grew up with dogs in the family and looked after my ex partners dogs this is my first
experience of adopting a dog that didn't come to us as a puppy straight from the litter and my
first Schnauzer! From what I know he hasn't had much training so we're probably going to
have to go back to the start on that side of things.

At the moment I'm looking for advice on helping him to settle in to his new home given the
circumstances is it a good idea to have a blanket, bed etc from his old home or would we be better
to start anew? I'm not expecting the perfect pup overnight whatever happens good or bad we'll get
through it I just want to make the transition to our family as easy and stress free as possible for him!

There's also the question of neutering him although obviously I don't want to go ahead with this
immediately as I reckon ending up in kennels then a new home he's had enough to deal with
without losing his puppy seed pouches as well :)

Sorry for the long post and the fact there's probably going to be plenty more dumb questions
to follow but any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Rehoming a Standard Schnauzer

Post by Robin black mini »

Welcome essay.
First of all well done for adopting a schnauzer,and you will get a lot of support and advise here.
I don't know what your prior experience is but you have taken a LOT of dog on....
He's an adolescent ,with his hormones in full flow...so be prepared to set clear rules,get him straight into an obedience course and be prepared to work with him.

He will be able to go for long walks too so this too will help you two to bond and get to know each other.

let him settle in to your home,but have clear rules,give him his place to go when it's quiet time,and don't over coddle this dog..this can comein time ...first of all he has to know you want a certain behavior from him and HE can't push your buttons.
It really doesn't matter about his blankets..start anew ..what he really he needs is you,new leadership and lots of input re training, keep it consistent and you should be seeing HUGE improvement within six months of his arrival.

i would let him settle in before you consider neutering him..I've never heard of the term puppy seed pouch.. :) ...we can let that one drop for a while,figuratively speaking.. :)

He's had his first experience of fighting,male to male...be sure to control his off lead meetings...best to have female or really tolerant males at this point...better still when he's with your trainer so you have a second set of hands to step in.

Consider Lowering his dietary proteins too...this can be a big influence on his behavior.

And finally PICS very welcome..
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

Hi Robin Black Mini, Thanks for the reply!

I'm aware that I'm taking a lot on and I realise that this is probably the worst age to take any dog let alone a Standard Schnauzer but we'll get there no matter what happens.

So far my experience of dogs amounts to 2 German shepherds, a beagle and a westie. I also look after my friends guide dog if he's away from home so I'm used to sticking to strict boundaries with him as any step away from the way he's been trained can cause a lot of problems when he's working.

I've been looking into training classes and for now he'll be on a lead when there's other dogs around. There's a few small fenced and gated parks nearby which aren't used much so my thought is to use one of them to practice his training and let him play and run free without any worries about other dogs to start with.

There's no pics yet as we're still trying to arrange the logistical nightmare of getting him from one end of the country to the other but I'll get some on here once he comes home :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Well done and welcome to the forum. Hope it all goes well, but, as you seem prepared, there's a lot of work ahead for you both.
I'd definitely be getting some classes, or one-to-ones with someone knowledgeable who can help guide you as to how best to help him settle and get the most of your life together.
Good luck and I can't wait to follow your journey.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

Hi BeeBee thanks for the reply!

I realise we've got a lot of work ahead for both of us but I'm looking forward to
it all good or bad we'll manage to get through it and hopefully have a lot of fun
along the way!

I've phoned a couple of places about training classes today and one of them seems
perfect for us so we're going to go along for a chat next week and take it from
there.

I've just found out today that everything is going ahead and he's coming home this
weekend. I'm now trying to sort out all the basics like insurance and vets plus
buy the few things he needs to start off with. :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

What part of the country are you? Might be some owners nearby you could meet up with for some walks and support and fun?
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
rich 40
First Name: Richard

Post by rich 40 »

Well done and enjoy him .the thing with these schnauzer s is they love to be with you and involved in your day to day life can't beat a schnauzer greeting when you get in from the dreaded work !
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

BeeBee wrote:What part of the country are you? Might be some owners nearby you could meet up with for some walks and support and fun?
I'm in Edinburgh BeeBee! I'm in touch with his breeder and know the family
who own my boys older brother but would love to meet up with some more
Schnauzer owners if there's anyone local to here!
Essjay
Puppy

Post by Essjay »

rich 40 wrote:Well done and enjoy him .the thing with these schnauzer s is they love to be with you and involved in your day to day life can't beat a schnauzer greeting when you get in from the dreaded work !
Thanks Rich 40! Lol He's certainly going to be involved in day to day! The plan at
the moment is him coming out to work with me for a few hours during the day
rather than staying home on his own! I drive for a living so there's plenty of
opportunities for walks and play breaks throughout the day!

Obviously we're playing it by ear if he doesn't seem happy with this we'll look
into arranging a dog walker or daycare to break up his day!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Hi and welcome

You do seem to have done your research and seem well prepared for the challenges ahead :)

I don't know of any standards in Scotland but I know of a fair few Giants. Donald will know for sure though.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Welcome :-h & good luck for the weekend. I look forward to hearing how it goes ;;)
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts