Fearful puppy

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Sanek007
Puppy
First Name: Anna
Dog #1: Harold
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 12 Jun 2015

Fearful puppy

Post by Sanek007 »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but trying to find some advice/suggestions from Giant owners how to help my 6 month Harold to overcome his fear of people...he's been socialized since we brought him home at 9 weeks, going out and about everywhere with me, graduated advanced dog training class, he's very obedient,well behaved and extremely attached to me...like a velcro. He's great pup, however his extremely shy with people, jumps away from strangers on the walks or in other public places. Anyone had this problem? Will be very appreciate any advice :o3 Image
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Fearful puppy

Post by Dawnspell »

Is it actual fear ? by that I mean if he sees a stranger does he pull on the lead to try to get away from them or show submissive behaviour when approached by strangers. Or does he just prefer not to be near people he doesn't know ?

Barney isn't a people dog he never has been. He will duck his head out of the way if anyone tries to stroke him and he has never gone up to a stranger wagging his tail off wanting attention like you see some dogs. It quite embarrassing sometimes if I'm making a fuss of some ones dog and they try to make a fuss of him. He just looks at them as if to say, "You're not touching me I don't know where you've been" =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Sanek007
Puppy

Post by Sanek007 »

First thank you for your reply!! Before he did pull away from everyone and submisively urinated, it was when he was about 3- 4 months old. Obedience training, daily exercise, and constant socialization by walking downtown, parks etc.helped him a little, he approaches some people ( if they have a treat!), takes treats from them, but won't let touch him..if someone tries to pet him his trying to nip...but not every time, sometimes when his distracted he doesn't care if he is being peted. He loves kids and is so gentle with all the kids ( he goes to boys scouts meetings with my son!), even he doesn't know them...not sure if this is some kind of fear stage maybe? Or just his personality..
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

He's 6 mths and will be going through adolescence soon (not sure of age for a giant) when their behaviour can change. Although that tends to be more testing of boundaries to see what they can get away with and can become very deaf and defiant :))

I just tell people Barney doesn't like to be stroked by people he doesn't know if anyone wants to pet him. After all people don't like their personal space to be invaded by a stranger never mind being touched by one :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Sanek007
Puppy

Post by Sanek007 »

That's true, his trying to push my buttons, but just at home..in public places he's obedient heels nicely ,sits and stay everytime ( at least for now..)But at home...knocked down a Xmas tree yesterday and pretended that wasn't him X( ...he's good with that...Bought him a treadmill and he loves it!!, He uses it before walks in public to burn some of his energy and come him down.Some people do not listen when asked nicely to not pet him....and I'm afraid that it could turn into fear aggression in the future...
Sanek007
Puppy

Post by Sanek007 »

Update on the shy puppy....is not a shy puppy anymore, not at all !!!☺ At 8,5 months his a social butterfly, just different way.He will run howling at people with waging tail (thank God docked) , scares them to death, and wonders why they stand still terrified :D Then he would sit ( with his little tail still going100mph) waiting for someone to play with him...Now he needs to learn how to greet people politely, without scaring them away first :ymdevil: