First possible major issue for Cleo

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 07 Jul 2021

First possible major issue for Cleo

Post by Frederickdawg »

Have an appointment with the vets tomorrow about Cleo, she's a 3.5 year old miniature schnauzer. Basically, she's always had a 2 or 3 small raised bumps on her back , possible sebaceous gland , never really bothered her as such. But overnight, one grew huge, from a pimple like to a thick shallow bump size of a 50 pence piece. What worried me and still does is her behavior, shes less energetic and looks for small places to go hide in, although this behavior started a few daya before me noticing the enlarged lump on her back.

Shes not drinking water as much but still eating, albeit not as enthusiastically as before. Im currently cooking her chicken breast and white rice with lots of water for hydration.

Im hoping its" just"going to be the sebaceous gland that has turned into an initial abcess.

The other thing I've noticed behaviour wise, is shes rubbing her muzzle on the crate and also using her pads to wipe her muzzle, pain perhaps? Wish us luck, cheers.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Barbarauttley
First Name: Barbara
Dog #1: Billy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 08 Oct 2012
is a: P/S Mini Dog

Re: First possible major issue for Cleo

Post by Barbarauttley »

Hope all goes well at the vets. They are such a worry aren't they when somethings not quite right, but well worth it! Let us know what the diagnosis is, probably what you suspect, an abscess!
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Hi, the doctor drained most of it and prescribed some medication for Cleo. She seems to be feeling a bit better today. Cleo always since about a year old has 2 or 3 comode like lumps ( sebaceous ) on her back, I think perhaps one got infected due to overzealous brushing perhaps and led to an abcess.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

That sounds pretty good. Well done you for getting on to it so quickly.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Eddie wrote:That sounds pretty good. Well done you for getting on to it so quickly.
Im forever observing and checking her nooks and crannies , making sure she is well. :)

Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Don't let it become a habit but well done you this time.
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

There was other smaller shallower lumps on her , there was two near her left hip back area which didnt feel under the skin, and were not identifiable until i gave her , her summer hair cut.
She seems to be her normal self now, no longer panting or acting strange - looking for nooks and crannies to hide or nest in.