Chews for healthy teeth

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Chews for healthy teeth

Post by Oscar 12345 »

What type of chews do you give your schnauzers. My last schnauzer had terrible teeth/gums bless him - had most of them removed. Part of the problem was that he just wouldn't chew anything - only swallow and he had colitis for a lot of his life so I couldn't give him anything that wouldn't upset his tum. When he was younger he did have dentastix but they used to get all over his beard and they were too high in fat for my liking and I didn't know about antlers.

I have recently bought some twizzies but Otto is too young for them at the moment - anyone use these. Otto loves his antlers but I am a tad worried about the impact on his teeth - I am convinced he will grind them down... I do clean his teeth but can't get to all of them all the time.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Re: Chews for healthy teeth

Post by Bodee »

Oscar 12345 wrote:What type of chews do you give your schnauzers. My last schnauzer had terrible teeth/gums bless him - had most of them removed. Part of the problem was that he just wouldn't chew anything - only swallow and he had colitis for a lot of his life so I couldn't give him anything that wouldn't upset his tum. When he was younger he did have dentastix but they used to get all over his beard and they were too high in fat for my liking and I didn't know about antlers.

I have recently bought some twizzies but Otto is too young for them at the moment - anyone use these. Otto loves his antlers but I am a tad worried about the impact on his teeth - I am convinced he will grind them down... I do clean his teeth but can't get to all of them all the time.
They are not chews as such but I give Milla Fish4Dogs Fish Jerky

https://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/sea- ... dlers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-revie ... /fish4dogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.fish4dogs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I was at the vet yesterday with 4.5 yr old Hamish . His breath could knock you out at 20 paces. He has a loose front tooth and bad tartar. He has had the hard wood root chews,antlers, buffalo horns, chicken wings and drumsticks. A good raw diet and still he has rubbish teeth. Elle the welsh terrier nearly 12yrs has had the same diet her teeth are pure white and look almost new.

The vet said if you cannot dent the chew with pressure from your thumb then it is too hard and you should never give marrow bones. He also said all the gels etc are rubbish and you must brush your dogs teeth every day. It takes 48 hours for tartar to form so daily brushing breaks the cycle.
He has recently been getting a dental treat called whimzees which he loves and of course his raw carrot

https://www.petandcountrystore.com/en/W ... f3457ca8dd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Jackie,

The breeder did tell me that I shouldn't be too hard on myself regarding my last schnauzer's teeth as she said in her experience the breed was predisposed to gum disease and she has had over 40 years experience. Whimzees are what I have bought but can't use them until he is 9 months older according to the packaging.
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

Does anyone know why puppies can't use whimzees? I gave Harriet one without knowing, and she loved it, and spent like an hour chewing it and she didn't even eat a piece, just scrapping the surface. It would be a great relief if she could use it.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Annie

I think it is because they can chew off bits of the whimzee and that might get stuck in the throat when they are puppy age (less than 9 months). I might try one under supervision, Otto loves to chew. I also bought some rice bones and they seem to be a hit but again waiting until he is a bit older. So many things to think about, low fat, low sugar, healthy, kind to teeth but help to remove tartar and safe.
AnnieMoon

Post by AnnieMoon »

Thanks Julie!

I gave to her in a particular biting afternoon, but always supervised. If it's nothing about the ingredients I may give it to her when we can watch her, as I do with carrots.

It's true, so many things to think about!
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Suzi has had whimsies since December, she was 7 month last week I always supervise the dogs when they have a treat having lost an Airedale at 9 yrs to a hide chew, I will not have hide chews in the house now. She chews them for ages slowly nibbling them down. They know where the box is and stand looking at it and stomping their feet till they get one. I used to give the rice bones but they were a bit big and hard for Suzi.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Well I have just given Otto his first whimzee. One of the long orange stix. It took 10 mins for him to devour and he did nibble off bit by bit. I have a strong chewer I think.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ha, well whimzees... little Otto is still pooping small bits of his orange stix 3 days after eating it. I think I may have given him one too big to start with. Note to self.. find a healthy chew that isn't fluorescent - on the positive side, easy to find in the dark.
AnnieMoon

Post by AnnieMoon »

Oscar 12345 wrote:Ha, well whimzees... little Otto is still pooping small bits of his orange stix 3 days after eating it. I think I may have given him one too big to start with. Note to self.. find a healthy chew that isn't fluorescent - on the positive side, easy to find in the dark.
Hahahahaha I gave Harriet a crocodile, as she is now like a little crocodile biting everything.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Found a new chew for Otto, made from hardened yak milk. He only gets one every now and again but they last for ages (keep covered in cling film when not being used because they dry up and large bits can be bitten off and swallowed).

They certainly keep him occupied and hopefully are helping keep his teeth clean. Non sticky and very little odour from them.