question

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
retlas101
First Name: Richard

question

Post by retlas101 »

We have a 10 year old miniature schnauzer who is now licking her front paws and occasionally limps. I'm thinking maybe arthritis. Any suggestions as to something that helps?
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: question

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Richard

My last dog had very stiff rear legs in his last year's of life. I put him on YuMove and saw a remarkable difference with his walking and trotting. There didn't appear to be any stiffness at all after a few weeks. Interestingly when I mentioned to our vet that I had put him on YuMove she said they had now started recommending it. She also said it didn't work for all dogs. You could try that for a few weeks to see if you have any improvement but I think I would want a second opinion as to whether it is arthritis and not something else. As for the paw licking, I don't know whether that is symptom of arthritis.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
retlas101
First Name: Richard

Post by retlas101 »

Thanks for your input Oscar. Found it on amazon. Will check it out!
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I use Yumove working dog for my 12 yr old Airedale all her joints are stiff. I have used it for other airedales over the years and in every case noticed an improvement. Check out the prices on VioVet I get mine from them now cheaper than buying from Lintbells the producer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Richard and welcome to the Forum.

I would be inclined to have your mini schnauzer checked at the vets - or at a canine chiropractor- to see if there is anything more to it than old age arthritis. A pulled muscle in the back or spinal damage can sometimes cause paw licking from referred pain/ pins and needles in the paws. It could be just a strained muscle or trapped nerve which would settle down of itself with plenty of rest. We had a situation like this wth one of our minis (7 years old) who enjoyed wild running and jumping on a holiday by the beach a year ago and she started licking her paws obsessively. It was almost certainly overdoing the physical activity in her case and keeping her rested led to a full recovery in a few weeks.

Our vet surgery offers free senior dog health checks with a veterinary nurse - you could see if your vets do the same? I took our eldest dog when he was 10 years old. Our surgery also offers acupuncture for pain relief although the vet nurse did also try to encourage me to get some tablets to assist with joint mobility. The brand they used however were almost double the price of the Yumove which we already give our seniors. It was a chance to have our boy checked over though so worthwhile in my view.

We do also take him to a local canine chiropractor who, although she cannot reverse the ageing process of course, is excellent at realigning any imbalance in his spine / pelvis and we can really see the difference after a treatment. He always falls asleep after being "manipulated " and laser treated. She also recommended another product which we are trying out currently. She gives it to her 14 year old Yorkie and said it had done wonders for her dog's mobility. There is a link here to the company that make it:
https://goldenpastecompany.co.uk/collec ... lden-paste" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We just give a tiny squeeze of the paste mixed into his food morning and evening.

Anyway, as said above, do check out first what may be the cause of the paw licking and limping. The products to help mobility are useful supplements but you do want to be sure there is no other problem that needs to be resolved.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/