Sore Bottom

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
Ewoolf
Puppy
First Name: Lizzie

Sore Bottom

Post by Ewoolf »

Sorry to be blunt or indelicate but my 17 month black miniature schnauzer
Freddie had problems yesterday having a poo. He spent ages on the grass pushing unsuccessfully. Today he had a large piece of dried poo stuck to his bottom - commonly known as a dingleberry in our house . I tried pulling it off with a damp rag, then got blunt end scissors to cut it for his hair which he took great exception to and I gave up not wanting to cause him any more distress. But his bottom looks sore. Has he just got constipation/hard stools so needs water and dry foods or could there be a problem with his anal gland? He had a very dry poo this morning.

He is my first dog so I'm a complete amateur. Should I just put him in a warm bath with some antiseptic/

Advice please.
Fergus
First Name: colin

Re: Sore Bottom

Post by Fergus »

If his bottom looks sore you need to take him to a vet.
Ewoolf
Puppy

Post by Ewoolf »

Yea. Normally I would just pop him down to see the vet but were snowed in for a couple of days.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Lizzie

Does it look sore on the outside of his bottom? If so I would bathe with warm salted water and pat dry. Both my boys have had small very firm poops from time to time and it always gets fixed with some fruit in the meal (apple 1st choice). Is he getting enough fibre in his diet or drinking enough? If you are worried that it looks sore inside then I would pop to vet as they will give him something for it. I always make sure that Otto has no hair around the pooping area so that dingleberrys as you call them are less likely to form. We call them clinkers.... :) they cause an OMG freeze moment with Otto while he waits for me to "assist" with de-clinkering. Can't move until that's done, previous male schnauzer was exactly the same. They are very sensitive around there and can feel if something is there and shouldn't be.

Hope it resolves itself.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

If it is just constipation and difficulty passing poo, you could try adding some fruit as suggested or tinned unsweetened pumpkin which is excellent for normalising poo - just add a teaspoonful to his food.

The area around the anus should be kept as free of hair as possible so do keep his bottom clipped close to avoid poo catching there.

If however it seems very red and swollen there, it could be the start of an anal abscess which is a painful condition but should resolve quickly in a healthy dog with appropriate treatment. However, probably best to have a vet check when you are able to get Freddie to the surgery. Bathing with warm salty water as suggested above is a good idea in the meantime. There is a link here with some information on anal gland issues:

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/1101 ... ms-in-dogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Ewoolf
Puppy

Post by Ewoolf »

Thank you everyone who responded with all your help. I managed to get a Saturday morning appointment with the vet who examined Freddie, shaved his anal area, looked at his glands , took his temperature but could not find much wrong with him. Thought it just a sore bottom from being a bit constipated causing the dingleberries. Advised I increase his meat diet. Also said its ok to use Sudocreme in that area for Freddie or Vagicil which I had used as it contains lidocaine which suppresses itching. £38 lighter I was relieved that Freddie's discomfort was nothing worse.

So I have tried to help the little fella by chasing him round the house trying to apply Sudocreme but it's a total pantomime act and he's having none of it. He did go in the sea yesterday on a long beach walk, dried himself off by rolling in the sand.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Ewoolf wrote:
So I have tried to help the little fella by chasing him round the house trying to apply Sudocreme but it's a total pantomime act and he's having none of it. He did go in the sea yesterday on a long beach walk, dried himself off by rolling in the sand.
Re the cream application..
Put the dog on a table,hold him with your left arm around his body...apply cream with right hand..the cream should be rubbed externally and also into the dogs anus..

If you're chasing him around the room,no doubt he will be the winner =)) ...the table will help for grooming too...plusfor all medications etc,..he goes on e table...

Re his food. Add .more meat,more veg eg boiled pumpkin,courgette and scalding his kibble with boiled water,prior to feeding will definitely make his stool less compacted.

If he has persistent anal gland issues ,try ""psyllium "....,added to his food , it will help bulk up the stool,but for his scenario I'd first get the food more hydrated.