White Mini

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Stanley Brian
First Name: Nick

White Mini

Post by Stanley Brian »

Hi - does anyone have knowledge of white mini's please? We have been looking for a mini but not a white one. A white one has become available but I am slightly concerned there may be increased risks of health issues - or am I being totally irrational? Thanks
www.theschnauzer.uk
Advice, forums, free training advice and videos
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: White Mini

Post by zeta1454 »

I am not aware that there are any specific health issues as regards white miniature schnauzers compared to any of the other accepted colours. Although white has only recently been accepted in the miniature schnauzer breed standard in the UK, it has been accepted in Europe for many years.

The main issue you do need to be concerned about is the integrity and responsibility of the breeder as those selling dogs with less common colours in any breed can be doing so purely for the novelty value and/ or to get a higher price for their pups. There are reputable breeders of white minis but you will need to be confident that they are doing the relevant health testing (annual eye screen of breeding dogs and litter screening pups) and that they are knowledgeable about the breed, raise their pups in the home in an enriched environment etc. Really just checking all the usual requirements for anyone looking for a miniature schnauzer puppy.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Thank you - we did all of the above with our Standard boy. I have just spoken with the breeder and I have come off the phone with a number of concerns. They are a first time breeder and didnt really appreciate the questions I was asking so we will keep looking. None of the screening had been done and I dont want us to be faced with heartbreak in several months time. We will start to make some calls to breeders and ask i f we can visit and take our time. Thanks for your swift reply. Nick :)
www.theschnauzer.uk
TSITSIRIDES
Puppy
First Name: Joyce

Post by TSITSIRIDES »

Hi we got a white mini in December from a breeder in Essex. He had carried out all tests recommended and gave us good advice. We have 4 other dogs and Lulu has been an absolute joy. What a lovely little dog. Do your research but I can highly recommend a white schnauzer my son had another white from the same litter. I haven’t seen another one since whilst out and about but they are out there.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Nick...you say you were NOT looking for a white, but this one came up....hmm,
So I'd say,be patient and stick with the colour choice/ sex you really want and start contacting serious breeders whose dogs interest you .
THis way,you will be able to get a health tested dog ,from lines you like, and a colour that will please you.
To get to know breeders and lines,visit champdogs breeders and visit their websites.Better yet,try to visit a show or two and see their dogs In action.....you will really get a valid option on what you like .
In contrast if you go with the readily available,untested line pup ,whose colour was not your first choice and live with the dog for maybe a decade plus,I think you may well be disappointed.
Quality is always worth waiting for.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

I never actually wanted a Giant Schnauzer and now I have one!!

I found "her" on Workingdog.eu

We checked out the breeder and were satisfied.

The colour is in my mind secondary. What you want is a healthy, well bred dog.

I didn't want a Briard (Berger de Brie). I saw a "beige" dog at the dog club and said that is what I want. My friend bred black Briards and they were healthy, friendly pups. I ended up with a totally healthy and lively Briard.
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Thank you. I agree with many of the comments and we have started to visit breeders. The colour is not too important to be honest. We have been considering and older dog/ex breeder's so this is why we are slightly unsure. Im grateful of the comments regarding the white mini's as on another forum there were some comments that worried us.
www.theschnauzer.uk
Pennyblack
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Pennie
Born: 31 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Jenson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Aug 2016

Post by Pennyblack »

My friend owns and shows three white minis and they are lovely wee dogs, just as lovely as my two black ones. The negative comments almost always come from those who don’t think they should have been recognised as a breed colour in the UK regardless of the fact that they’ve been accepted in Europe for many years.

Good luck in your search for a schnauzer :)
Kim (Cairn Terrier cross) saved from a puppy farm August 1987 aged approx 6 weeks, crossed the Rainbow Bridge 21/5/1993 - always missed

Ventoso Pennie Black black mini - born 31/7/2015, came home 26/9/2015
Ventoso Severus Snape -Jenson Button black mini - born 3/8/2016, came home 8/10/2016
doughboy
Puppy
First Name: Dough

Post by doughboy »

We have a white mini (will be 2 next month) and he is an absolute joy, very friendly and an amazing temperament. The only issue we had with him was the 'weeping eye' when he was younger, and being a white mini, the brown stains stood out from under his eyes. The weeping stopped over a year ago, probably once his diet settled down. And that's the only other issue we have had with him, that he's an absolutely fussy s*d when it comes to food. He's a small mini (he was the runt of the litter) and probably closer to a female mini in size than a male mini (12 inches to the shoulders, weighs around 6kg) but we knew this, as the breeder had told us that he would be a smaller male. In our case, we had wanted a white mini (under my daughters orders) and we had to wait a while for one to be available. A mini is a mini regardless of colour, if you like him/her, then just get them!
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Pennyblack wrote:My friend owns and shows three white minis and they are lovely wee dogs, just as lovely as my two black ones. The negative comments almost always come from those who don’t think they should have been recognised as a breed colour in the UK regardless of the fact that they’ve been accepted in Europe for many years.

I haven't read any negative comments about white Mini Schnauzers on this thread and I certainly don't have any, apart from the fact that a healthy, well bred dog should count more than colour.
Pennyblack
First Name: Denise
Dog #1: Pennie
Born: 31 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Jenson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Aug 2016

Post by Pennyblack »

Riesen16 wrote:
Pennyblack wrote:My friend owns and shows three white minis and they are lovely wee dogs, just as lovely as my two black ones. The negative comments almost always come from those who don’t think they should have been recognised as a breed colour in the UK regardless of the fact that they’ve been accepted in Europe for many years.

I haven't read any negative comments about white Mini Schnauzers on this thread and I certainly don't have any, apart from the fact that a healthy, well bred dog should count more than colour.
I wasn’t implying there were negative comments here but in the show world there are many who are negative towards them. Personally, I love them [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kim (Cairn Terrier cross) saved from a puppy farm August 1987 aged approx 6 weeks, crossed the Rainbow Bridge 21/5/1993 - always missed

Ventoso Pennie Black black mini - born 31/7/2015, came home 26/9/2015
Ventoso Severus Snape -Jenson Button black mini - born 3/8/2016, came home 8/10/2016
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Picked up our first mini girl she is amazing. A great partner for our Standard. She is a six year old ex breeders dog. Very very different to our boy but lovely.
www.theschnauzer.uk
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Nick and congratulations, would love to see a photo of them both together.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.