Red Bearded light chocolate front legs and yellow back legs.

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Red Bearded light chocolate front legs and yellow back legs.

Post by Bracken 01 »

Hi can anybody help with advice.Bracken has just gone 2, from the beginning he has been fed NI raw and a handful of James Well Beloved kibble in the morning with dried fishskins as treats.
He is beginning to look a right mixture of colours.
I ordered a delivery of NI today and spoke to the man who has 2 Schnauzers about Brackens coat, his advice was, feeding raw should
have the opposite affect and he thinks the problem is the kibble.
Anybody had this experience with there dog. Is the kibble creating the mixture of colour.
Brackens bottom is also red.
I look after my Granddaughter so am very particular with cleanliness I wash Brackens beared twice a day with a warm flannel and a mild liquid hand wash also the same with his feet and lower legs after is walk.
I also wipe is bottom with baby bottom wipes after his walks which I also done with my last salt and pepper I had no problems with her coat colour.Am I creating the problems with Brackens coat by washing him with human hand wash. :( :(
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Red Bearded light chocolate front legs and yellow back l

Post by Dawnspell »

The red is from where he licks. It's something to do with how red blood cells are broken down and are then contained in the saliva which then stain the fur. Think of rusty iron. Some dogs seem to be more prone to It than others. It also seems to suddenly appear and can disappear. It's not that he's dirty in anyway.

You could try changing food and using a whitening shampoo rather than hand wash
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Ollie's beard and "white bits" also used to take on an orange hue...but this was when we first got him and he ate (unbeknownst to us at the time) not very good food. After doing our research and him seeming to have allergic symptoms we changed food to a grain free (Wainwrights). The orange-ness has now improved dramatically. Does that alter his saliva?! I have no idea. He has always just had a kibble though. Can't get my head round raw i am afraid :ymsick: I do mix veg and fruit bits in it though.

He had a patch of reddy/orange on his front leg after his last groom. For a few days before his groom he kept nibbling this leg. Don't know why; we couldn't see or feel anything, he let us touch it so wasn't sore and the colour wasn't noticeable until he had his hair cut. It has grown out/faded again now though.

His beard hardly ever looks orange in the long bits off his face (if that makes sense) but perhaps that is because it is more grey colours that white there. Sometimes i think there is still a tint but just round his mouth, where the beard joins his lip. Maybe this is unavoidable if it is saliva that causes it. Sometimes i also think that inbetween his toes looks a bit orange/pink on the white bits but i can't say i am overly concerned about it.

We use a dog shampoo for his baths but also use baby wipes for after walks etc. I just buy the sensitive ones but usually stores' own brands...nothing expensive! I have seen the whitening shampoo as Alison suggests so maybe that is worth a go.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

There are a whole range of different reasons why dogs can suffer coat staining but as Dawnspell mentions above the primary issue is the porphyrins produced when red blood cells are broken down naturally in the body and are excreted via the saliva, urine and tears. These contain reddish pigment which can stain hair and most especially any white coloured hairs which do not naturally contain any pigment and therefore are more visible when stained.

It is also true that an individual dog at times throughout its life may have a lot of this staining or none at all without any change of water or diet so, of itself, the food may not be an issue. However another cause of staining can be yeast infection which can proliferate on damp hair. One of the most common yeast infections is Ptyrosporin or Red Yeast which causes a deep reddish-brown stain. Low grade bacterial infections are also common and may cause excess staining. Ear infections can also cause staining not only inside the ear but affecting other parts of the body too as can certain allergies or sensitivities triggered by particular foods or chemicals in the environment or within medications that are given to or applied to the skin.

Genetics can also be significant (as with many issues) not only as regards directly affecting coat colouring but also a genetic susceptibility to react to certain foods or chemicals.

It could be worth feeding NI only and leave out the kibble for a trial to see if it does make a difference. Natural Instinct is a sufficiently well rounded raw diet not to need supplementing as regards your dog's health. However, it could be that the staining is related to something else entirely and it might be useful to also speak to your vet to rule out any infection issues and to Bracken's breeder who may be able to offer advice based on their knowledge of Bracken's parents and siblings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Great advice already :)

Rather than use hand wash, however mild, could you make up a dilution of doggy shampoo in a bottle to use for Bracken?
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Bracken 01
Puppy

Post by Bracken 01 »

Thank you everyone for replying. I feel I need to do something for Bracken as twice last week I was asked is he a Airedale terror :( . I have started my mission to try and get is natural colour back.
1. I have stopped his Kibble also stopped using his plastic bowl.Just using his stainless steel ones.
2. I have started using bottled water instead of tap water.
3. I have bought Animalogy white wash shampoo, which I have diluted and will wash his face legs and feet with after his walks. He has always been bathed monthly with Animalogy shampoo since a puppy,wish I had bought the white one for his beard when he was a pup.
4. I have also purchased Spa tropiclean tear stain remover which you can also use on the facial areas so I will also apply to his feet and lower legs.

So folks I will give it a good go. If nothing works I will take him to the vets.

There is one other thing I forgot to say since a pup I chose to go none chemical with Bracken, he his on Billy No Mates, and Verm X for Dogs I wonder if this is causing the problem. I can understand a coloured beard but not a red bottom and coloured feet and legs. If I have any success I will post and let you know.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Be interesting to find out what happens.

One thing I would say is when Barney had harvest mites and was licking / nibbling the fur went red. No matter how much the fur was washed it remained slightly stained. It was only as it started growing and he wasn't licking that the white came back.

So look for the change at the new growing hair don't expect the too much from the already stained fur ;)
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I have been searching through threads on that old chestnut of a stained beard. Otto has been on Billy No Mates for about a week or so now and I have noticed his beard getting more and more orange - almost overnight. I found this thread from Bracken 01. Just wondering whether you did experience that it was the BNM causing some of the different colours. I am considering stopping it now.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Sometimes carrots in the food cn cause partly orange coat.

Also when dogs lick their paws, the bacteria in the Spittel can cause it too.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Testing a beard stain remover at the moment. Will post a new thread if I have found a solution to the nemesis of the white bearded schnauzer. ;)
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Wish you luck :D
Bracken 01
Puppy

Post by Bracken 01 »

Hi Oscar, after trying everything I could with Bracken to whiten him, plus a trip too the vet I am afraid nothing worked (also a spell off BNM). I spoke to the Breeder, her reply was this does happen but in her experience very rarely, also because Bracken is almost black and silver (and he would be if is ears where entirely black) genetics are involved.

I have seen entire black with a red hue in there colouring, so I think this is why he has a deep red beard especially underneath his mouth and up to his eyes. His legs are also still off white. People comment what a unusual colour. I have stopped fretting and excepted he his what he is.
We love him, he is the most layed back loveable dog and like my shadow, we feel privliged too have him.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Annie, I have stopped the BNM and we are back to where we were prior to very orange beard. Must have been something in it that was making him produce more saliva. Looks much better now.
drea97
Puppy
First Name: drea

Re: Red Bearded light chocolate front legs and yellow back legs.

Post by drea97 »

My schnauzer dog Cookie is having same problem as well. Cookie coat are grey/black it turning brownish on her back and back her legs. Everything front of her face, beard and arms are grey/black.
Oscar 12345

Re: Red Bearded light chocolate front legs and yellow back legs.

Post by Oscar 12345 »

It's "old" hair. If you get a rake or coat king type grooming tool and comb through the brown hair, the dead hair will come out and new grey/black hair will grow in its place.