Are Giant Schnauzers similar to German Shepherds?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Fiona85
First Name: Fiona

Are Giant Schnauzers similar to German Shepherds?

Post by Fiona85 »

Hi

I'm considering getting a Giant schnauzer as my second dog I lost my first dog a female GSD a year ago and she was so special that I could not own another GSD. I went to crufts this and fell for the Giant ( for some reason the Germans knew how to have the best breeds) since march iv been reading as much as I can on the breed from websites to books , iv also spoke to a local breeder who said that Giants are very similar to GSD but Giants are 10x more challenging and mentally stronger than a GSD so are harder than a GSD.

I wanted to ask if you agree that Giants are similar to GSD but are 10x more harder?

Iv read all the arrivals and posts at the top of this section and am still interested in the breed. I am a very active person, who is a confident strong willed woman and I would be getting the help from a dog behaviourist.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Re: Are Giant Schnauzers similar to German Shepherds?

Post by Riesen16 »

Hello Fiona

We have owned several breeds over the years from Landseer, Briard, Fila Brasileiro, 2 German Shepherds from Working Lines and now a Giant Schnauzer Pepper Salt.

With all our former dogs we were very much involved in Dog Sport, i.e. Schutzhund Clubs where we also learned tracking, obedience and Schutzhund disciplines.

To say a Giant Schnauzer is more difficult, I would not subscribe to. However, as with both large breeds, the best advice I can give you is to join a Schutzhund Club of which there are quite a few in England. I assume you would be able to do only tracking, or obedience, not only Schutzhund. However, for dogs such as GSDs and Giant Schnauzers, the added bonus is that, not only must they learn how to behave 100%, but also the Schutzhund element is a way for these dogs to let off steam.

Tracking is an excellent training. The Schnauzers have excellent noses. Tracking is very strenuous and the Schnauzers have excellent noses as do the GSDs. However, I have noticed with my Giant Schnauzer that she is much more calm and collected than any of my other dogs. I was never very good at training my dogs in tracking, Obedience and Schutzhund were my metier. However good my puppies started off in tracking, I managed to "ruin" them.

Enya is oblivious to my nervous dispostion in tracking and is progressing well.

A German Shepherd from Working Lines can be a fantastic dog, often more easily trained than the Giant Schnauzer.

We are now both 75 years' of age, "in charge" of a very lively, very territorial and bossy bitch but she is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, one minute ferociously maintaining her status in the family, and on the other hand, just like my GSD buddies, wanting to cuddle up to us and be petted.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

BTW, I am mostly involved with the dogs and am 1,60 (or less with age) "tall".
Fiona85

Post by Fiona85 »

Riesen16 wrote:Hello Fiona

We have owned several breeds over the years from Landseer, Briard, Fila Brasileiro, 2 German Shepherds from Working Lines and now a Giant Schnauzer Pepper Salt.

With all our former dogs we were very much involved in Dog Sport, i.e. Schutzhund Clubs where we also learned tracking, obedience and Schutzhund disciplines.

To say a Giant Schnauzer is more difficult, I would not subscribe to. However, as with both large breeds, the best advice I can give you is to join a Schutzhund Club of which there are quite a few in England. I assume you would be able to do only tracking, or obedience, not only Schutzhund. However, for dogs such as GSDs and Giant Schnauzers, the added bonus is that, not only must they learn how to behave 100%, but also the Schutzhund element is a way for these dogs to let off steam.

Tracking is an excellent training. The Schnauzers have excellent noses. Tracking is very strenuous and the Schnauzers have excellent noses as do the GSDs. However, I have noticed with my Giant Schnauzer that she is much more calm and collected than any of my other dogs. I was never very good at training my dogs in tracking, Obedience and Schutzhund were my metier. However good my puppies started off in tracking, I managed to "ruin" them.

Enya is oblivious to my nervous dispostion in tracking and is progressing well.

A German Shepherd from Working Lines can be a fantastic dog, often more easily trained than the Giant Schnauzer.

We are now both 75 years' of age, "in charge" of a very lively, very territorial and bossy bitch but she is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, one minute ferociously maintaining her status in the family, and on the other hand, just like my GSD buddies, wanting to cuddle up to us and be petted.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

BTW, I am mostly involved with the dogs and am 1,60 (or less with age) "high".
My GSD was from showlineXworking lines, she was just a family pet , I never did schutzhund with her and am not interested in doing, she was happy doing things like hide and seek games and puzzle toys ect.

If I got a Giant schnauzer I would not be interested in doing schutzhund.
Riesen16

Post by Riesen16 »

I in no way suggested you should do Schutzhund training with your future dog. Please read my post thoroughly.!!

German Shepherd Show Lines even crossed with a Working Line, would not be my choice.

A Giant Schnauzer, just as a Working Line German Shepherd, needs stimulating both mentally and physically. They are not dogs to be fulfilled with games around the house or garden.

I go tracking with my Giant, just like I did with my Working Line German Shepherd. I let her search for articles in the house but I have had advice from a colleague on how to step up the difficulty level as she finds things too quickly.
Fiona85

Post by Fiona85 »

Riesen16 wrote:I in no way suggested you should do Schutzhund training with your future dog. Please read my post thoroughly.!!

German Shepherd Show Lines even crossed with a Working Line, would not be my choice.

A Giant Schnauzer, just as a Working Line German Shepherd, needs stimulating both mentally and physically. They are not dogs to be fulfilled with games around the house or garden.

I go tracking with my Giant, just like I did with my Working Line German Shepherd. I let her search for articles in the house but I have had advice from a colleague on how to step up the difficulty level as she finds things too quickly.
I know you didn't say to do schutzhund I just brought it up so I could mention what my GSD was happy with to see if a giant would and clearly from your reply a giant wouldn't be happy with just garden games and puzzle toys and since I don't have any interest in schutzhund or tracking maybe the giant schnauzer is not for me, as I already know a lot about working line GSDs as if been around them and I know that a working line GSD would be to much for me so maybe a giant schnauzer would be to much for me, as I said before my GSD was a mix of show and working lines and she was very laid back and was contented with just brain games and hide and seek in the garden, her line had more show dogs in it which showline GSD are a lot more calmer and laid back and are not as intense as working lines.

Thank you for helping me in my decision but I don't think the giant schnauzer is for me.
Riesen16

Post by Riesen16 »

Hallo Fiona

Thank you for your reply.

What I said about Giant Schnauzers is true, to my knowledge but maybe there are owners on this forum who have other experiences.

The GS is a large, energetic dog with a will to exert his own way.

Maybe you could find out whre there are walks with Schnauzers and join one of them. I certanly do not want to dissuade you from a Schnauzer, especially on a Schnauzer Forum.

I just wanted you to be aware of these large, energy-filled bombs, often ready to explode when the situation arises.

I wish you luck with your next dog, maybe a Schnauzer. Beware, the Schnauzer (medium) is the only Schnauzer that has not been crossed with other breeds and is known to be "rather" difficult.

Good luck
Gill