Toilet training

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
LeoTitus37
Puppy
First Name: Samantha

Toilet training

Post by LeoTitus37 »

I am hoping for some advice with our two pups. They are 7 months old and really good during the day with their toileting. Our problem is at night, they are both still pooing and wee. We walk them 3 times a day, their last walk is between 7-8 at night and are put out in the garden just before bed between 10 and 11 but they don't do anything then. We've stopped using puppy pads and paper at night as they just shred them to pieces. Has anyone got any advice as to why they aren't dry yet and what we can do? Is it because there's 2 of them? Or is there something we can try.
Thank you
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Toilet training

Post by Oscar 12345 »

My advice would be to stretch out the breaks so that the last break and 3rd poo if you like is before bed-time. Then get up early in the morning (I would say about 6 am ish on the first morning) to see if they are dry. Take them out then. If they are dry then the next morning you could leave it until 7 am etc. etc. If they weren't dry at 6 am then you need to get up a bit earlier. Get them in to this routine of knowing that outside means going to toilet. It might take some time to do because they are 7 months old but I am convinced this will work for you if you keep it up. Thankfully it is the time of year that will make this more bearable. Good luck
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

As said above, seven months is late to be starting toilet training even just at night. Any training which starts after about 16 weeks of age will take longer as bad habits have had time to settle and puppies are less receptive as they pass into adolescence.

Are the puppies confined in any way at night such as in a crate or playpen? It is usually much easier to toilet train a puppy if they are in a crate to sleep overnight as most will prefer not to dirty their sleeping area (although this does depend too on the conditions in which they were raised at the breeder's).
It is also much harder to train two siblings together because if one poos or wees the other will almost certainly follow suit. If you have not been keeping them apart up to now, you may find it hard to separate them at night in crates so you may have to decide either to go through the stress of starting crate training from scratch or allowing them free space together but, as suggested above, getting up early to try and establish when the poo and wee is happening and pre-empt it by taking the boys out to the garden. Either method will take time and patience but crating over night may perhaps speed things up.

The best way with two siblings to instil any training is really to work with each separately as it is hard to concentrate on two at the same time and the behaviour of one will affect the other. Take them out for the last walk separately and see if they poo then and certainly put them into the garden before bedtime separately as you do need to try and get each of them to toilet before they go to bed as they will then be able to hold on until morning. Two puppies in the garden together are far more likely to play than concentrate on going to the toilet and, if you have a very large garden, I would even be tempted to limit the area each puppy has to go outside to focus their mind on what needs to be done! With very young puppies, we have set up a wire pen in the garden for the puppy to be in when they need to go to the toilet so they are not distracted by scents, sounds and general exploring if it is time to pee or poo! Everything is fun and exciting for young pups and you need to encourage them to focus on what you want them to do as much as possible and distractions from a large garden or enjoyable walk especially with a sibling are not going to help.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
LeoTitus37
Puppy
First Name: Samantha

Post by LeoTitus37 »

We don't crate them at night they have the kitchen which thankfully is tiled. We have done all the house training and they got it very quickly for the daytime. They are always clean, it's just night time. We get up at 6 every morning with work commitments for my husband . We haven't tried taking them out separately that certainly might be helpful.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Only thing I noticed in your op was "put out to the garden" Do you mean you take them out and encourage and watch them. I didn't come back in with Milla until she at least did a wee (a poo too if she hadn't poo-ed after her last meal at 5.00pm) Many a night I stood in the rain or snow for 15-20 mins.
Also try taking them out last thing individually and wait until they do the business. You may need to start separating them time wise when taking them out the back.

Other than that I agree with the advice above.
Get up early and don't retire until they have done something. Do you give them treats for performing? I did with Milla and I think it is a good encouragement. You have to make them realise why they are out there. I always said the same thing "Do a wee wee" and "do a jobbie" (Billy Connoly fan:)
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I agree with the above, Rosie learnt very quickly that last thing at night she didn't get back into the house until she'd performed and was always rewarded with a small treat. The time taken got shorter until now at 10 months it's usually all done in under a minute and then she stands beside the cupboard where her treats are kept :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Schnauzer Sam wrote:I agree with the above, Rosie learnt very quickly that last thing at night she didn't get back into the house until she'd performed and was always rewarded with a small treat. The time taken got shorter until now at 10 months it's usually all done in under a minute and then she stands beside the cupboard where her treats are kept :)
Exactly my experience with Milla Sam.
I don't even take her water away now at night and haven't done for about 4 months.