Im New

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Violet Turner
Puppy
First Name: Violet
Dog #1: Olive
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Doris
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 10 Jan 2018

Im New

Post by Violet Turner »

Hi, I'm Violet.
I have 2 miniature schnauzers. Olive who is a salt and pepper schnauzer she is 2 years old, and Doris is a black/chocolate schnauzer she is 4 months old.
Olive is Doris' mum and Olive had 3 other pups *excluding Doris* 4 in total.
Samson, Ollie, Fudge and Doris. They are so cute and Olive is such a great mum.
I hope to find some great Schnauzer lover friends
Last edited by Violet Turner on 29 May 2018, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: Im New

Post by jacdales »

Hello Violet, Olive and Doris. Welcome to this very friendly forum, I'm sure you will make lots of friends
I have Hamish A 5 yr old min s&p and Suzi a 1yr old s&p They are great characters.
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

jacdales wrote: 29 May 2018, 21:21 Hello Violet, Olive and Doris. Welcome to this very friendly forum, I'm sure you will make lots of friends
I have Hamish A 5 yr old min s&p and Suzi a 1yr old s&p They are great characters.
Yes they are great characters :)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hello violet..
Everyone is truely welcome here..this is a forum promoting good breeding ethics and a warm welcome to everyone who has the breed's welfare in mind.
Your first post is so open I hope you don't mind if I ask if you if you health tested your girl before breeding..PRA testingfor the parents,prior to breeding, is so easily available now and costs little .It is a real step to ensuring a healthy future for your pups.
Most breeders,and you are now a breeder,having bred your girl,also test the litter for hereditary cataracts....this is another easily done test and will give peace of mind to the future puppy owners.
I hope you have done these tests and if not,by coming here will test before you breed anothe litter..it is a huge step is giving your puppy buyers some hope that they will have a healthy pup ,free from some of the genetic issues that do affect every breed.
And for colour..I've not heard of black and chocolate..do you have pics?
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

Hi, so i really want to be honest. No we did not health test mum but the vets did do a health exam, the dad was health checked also. The puppies were also healthchecked after they had gone to their new homes for circumstances that occured. I know i will get bad feedback on this but i know i didnt do enough testing. Yes i have pictures i will upload them when i get back home. I will not be breeding again. but would have liked o but it takes so long and the costs and every thing. Als would likew to add we did not sell the puppies, we gave them away to close friends and family.
Robin black mini

Hi Violet..I appreciate your honesty and hope you stay with us.This is a friendly board and we are passionate about the breed.
We see so many untested litters that the aim here is to educate the potential breeder as to the ready availability of health testing prior to breeding ,the ease of doing the test and the huge impact it has on the future of the breed.
A vet health check as you now know is little more than confirming the dog is not running a temperature,in apparent good health and probably up to date with its vaccinations etc..no more than that.
Health testing is so important prior to breeding as dscribed here..
http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/health.php

In the meantime,as you say breeding a dog is a costly / stressful business, and many don't realise the implications involved in breeding and rearing a litter.
It is not too late to test the pups for hereditary cataracts..and you may well get a discount if all four pups can go to see the occultist on the same appointment.
I hope you stay, and post pics..I have a black mini..the description of "black and chocolate "you mentioned leads me to wonder if she's ready to be stripped ,as older coat does turn brown on a black dog... So post away..grooming is my passion, and if you need it you will get lots of encouragement.
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

Thank you, i don't know how to post pictures. How do you post pictures? Her dad is a chocolate brown and mum salt and pepper.
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

Robin black mini

Lovely pup..that's quite a grooming set up behind her..is this your grooming area or is she at the groomers?
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

She went to the groomers for a bath and a trim around her personal areas, but we also do grooming at home as we have clippers, brushes, blow driers and a whole range of shampoos. They don't want to properly cut her yet as she is too young, when would you say is okay for grooming?
Robin black mini

This is one link from the grooming section.do have a read there as there are many good posts which will help you decide if you want to home groom,and strip or clip your dog...
As you know,you can choose to strip the coat or use clippers.This link refers to stripping coat.,which I do for my girl.She is a black,like your pup and stripping will keep her black colour.
If you use clippers ,the black coat will become greyed out as you get the undercoat left behind.
You should get your pup on the table as soon as you can ,to gently let them get used to being groomed,have their feet etc handled,nails cut ,and so on...I start carding when the pup is as young as eight weeks and gently stripping from three to four months..

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23038
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

Robin black mini wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 18:19 This is one link from the grooming section.do have a read there as there are many good posts which will help you decide if you want to home groom,and strip or clip your dog...
As you know,you can choose to strip the coat or use clippers.This link refers to stripping coat.,which I do for my girl.She is a black,like your pup and stripping will keep her black colour.
If you use clippers ,the black coat will become greyed out as you get the undercoat left behind.
You should get your pup on the table as soon as you can ,to gently let them get used to being groomed,have their feet etc handled,nails cut ,and so on...I start carding when the pup is as young as eight weeks and gently stripping from three to four months..

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23038
Thank you! do you groom dogs? if so what type of clip do you do on schnauzers?
Robin black mini

Can you stop notifying me...

Violet..
You have now sent me two notifications,if I don't respond to a reply you have made..
If you read the reply above I have just told you I strip my dog,I don't clip( shave) my dog.
I don't think you need to notify me ,as I have already replied to your question.you have my answer in the quote you made of my reply to you.

Also,the link I posted "when to strip enquiry " ,was to show you a series of replies in a prior grooming post (that answered your question in detail.)
If this link which was made by by another poster is posted again,las you did in posting the link as your own post),then it is considered bad form..i.e. the post isn't yours to use i.e.you must put up as a new post in your own name,with your own question...
I know you are new board,but all new posts should be your own.
Violet Turner
Puppy

Post by Violet Turner »

Sorry :(