Puppy Biting

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Einsteins Owner
Puppy
First Name: Michael

Puppy Biting

Post by Einsteins Owner »

My little one bites a lot. I'm hoping I'm doing the right things ( putting chew toys in his mouth, redirecting energy) also taking him to puppy classes after his shots. Any other suggestions
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Puppy Biting

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Michael,

All mini's (perhaps all puppies) go through a phase when they are more like crocodiles than dogs. Just keep on doing what you're doing but if he gets too rough then stop the play and walk away. Make sure he knows when the biting has become painful so he learns to ease the pressure.

The good news is that this will stop, in my case it was when all the adult teeth came in, usually 5-6 months. Rosie still likes to play using her mouth but she no longer puts any pressure on and just likes to mouth with my hands.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Michael,

You will find if you keep doing all the right things, popping a toy in his mouth, distracting with something, high pitched squeal and NO then this phase of biting lasts about 2 weeks. My Oscar gave me a real hard time, little Otto not so bad actually but he is a much stronger chewer than Oscar was so chewing was preferred to biting.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Einsteins Owner
Puppy

Oscar 12345 wrote: 31 May 2018, 09:05 Michael,

You will find if you keep doing all the right things, popping a toy in his mouth, distracting with something, high pitched squeal and NO then this phase of biting lasts about 2 weeks. My Oscar gave me a real hard time, little Otto not so bad actually but he is a much stronger chewer than Oscar was so chewing was preferred to biting.
Ya I just keep on doing the same things all experienced people tell me and what I read. I feel bad because I have tons of kids in my neighbourhood and I know he'll bite in a lot of the situations. The worst is when he nips me when on the lead.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Michael, try giving him a job to do when on the lead. Otto absolutely loved walking with my glove in his mouth (or a little loved toy). I think it made him feel very important.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Einsteins Owner
Puppy

Oscar 12345 wrote: 31 May 2018, 14:54 Michael, try giving him a job to do when on the lead. Otto absolutely loved walking with my glove in his mouth (or a little loved toy). I think it made him feel very important.
I'll give it a shot. Although the biting almost always comes during personal interaction
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

As above..when playing gets boisterous,redirect with a toy,give plenty of alternatives to chew etc...but if the pup is being groomed or on your knee etc..then a stern vocal correction will usually so the trick,then put the pup down( if she was on your knee)
I remember my first week with my very full on pup,Robin,on the grooming table.she actually bit ,and bruised,the back of my arm! I was not amused and told her off.She never did it again...she had a hard bite and I reacted with a loud verbal..I think we shocked each other..LOL..but she never tried to bite me again.
Violet Turner
Puppy
First Name: Violet
Dog #1: Olive
Born: 13 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Doris
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 10 Jan 2018

Post by Violet Turner »

You could try timeouts.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It sounds as though this you are doing all the right things with distractions, chew toys etc. As said above, puppy biting is almost always just a phase pups go through while they are teething. It will pass even without a great deal of training but better if you can encourage him to use chew toys rather than fingers! Some pups have a lower pain threshold or may experience greater discomfort from teething than others and it can make them grumpy and nippy.

When you are at home and anyone- especially children - want to interact with the puppy, make sure they understand he is teething, that he may be nippy and that they must be careful, gentle and keep a chew toy to hand for him to bite on. When you are out and about there is no need for anyone to interact with your pup if you are really concerned that he may be nippy. Also make sure that he is not getting overtired. It is very easy to forget how much time puppies need to rest and that mental stimulation can be even more tiring than exercise. The rule of thumb for very young pups is two hours rest to every hour of activity through the day. A puppy that is overtired will get hyper, noisy and more inclined to nip at fingers or feet so do let Einstein have plenty of rest too :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Einsteins Owner
Puppy

Thanks for all the advice. I find when he goes crazy with the nipping I give him a chew toy and pet him to death. It usually calms him down