Puppy bitting my legs on walks

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
schanuzerber
First Name: Em

Puppy bitting my legs on walks

Post by schanuzerber »

Hello,

My 5 month puppy is becoming a little unruly on walks with a leash.

If I pull him away from an piece of rubbish, or go a direction he doesn't want to go he's begun to really bite into my legs or shoes. I have to pull him off me with a lead, and then he lunges back onto me. Ive tried to ignore him and stand still. But he doesn't get off. The only way I can move on is to make him sit, and give him a treat. But I'm unsure if thats reinforcing his bad behavior?

He does a little heel work with me and is great with that, so I'm guessing its pure frustration on his part that I'm telling him where to go and what not to touch? Can anyone suggest why he's doing it? And how to stop it happening in the first place? any tips would be greatly appreciated! :ymdevil:
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Puppy bitting my legs on walks

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Otto used to tug on his lead when he was tired at the end of a walk. Could your pup be tired?

Have you tried taking a soft toy out with you to distract and pop into his mouth so he has something to do? Worked with Otto.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Violet Turner
Puppy
First Name: Violet
Dog #1: Olive
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jul 2015
Dog #2: Doris
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 10 Jan 2018

Post by Violet Turner »

Do you walk him on a collar if so a harness could be a better option for pulling away from rubbish. Trade, trade the rubbish for something better like hot dogs. To teach him drop it would be a great idea.
chrispy179
First Name: Chris

Post by chrispy179 »

Wow this exactly explains our little guy. Hes 4 months but does the same thing - basically if he doesnt get to do what he wants he throws a fit and starts growling and biting ankles. I honestly dont know whats best but ignoring him as much as possible or doing a stay command tends to get him out of it, at least for a few seconds.