mixing kibble and wet food

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
JohnB
Puppy
First Name: John

mixing kibble and wet food

Post by JohnB »

Hi All,
Our 2 minis, Oscar and Peppa 5 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl have always been fed on Royal Canin kibble.

Peppa is currently on a daily tablet as she's got doggy hayfever, to get her to take the pill we put a little Canin tinned recovery (Gastro intestinal) food in with the Kibble and she loves it. Obviously Oscar has to have same and he lovers it too.
Question is, what can you recommend instead of expensive vet only Canin tins as a spoonful of wet food to spice up their breakfast? Any old tin from the supermarket or is there something tried and tested by schnauzers? :)

Thanks!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: mixing kibble and wet food

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi John

A really cheap way would be to moisten a piece of kibble and slot it in there. Or you can buy very small cans of tuna in spring water or small cans of fish like canned pilchard or sardine in tomato. The smell is such that they won't notice anything that is put with it. It will last in a airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. My schnauzer smelly fish especially a piece of poached salmon. Or a small piece of apple. I personally wouldn't buy cheap moist food.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
JohnB
Puppy
First Name: John

Post by JohnB »

THanks, THe motivation is to continue giving them an addition to the kibble they really like, the little tabs will not be required after the pollen is gone but both of them really enjoy the wet food. I like the tuna idea..:)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

I don't like Royal canin ..id definitely start with a grain free,or low grain kibble, with a whole protein source ,listed first ,in ingredients...etc..this link says it all..
https://www.doglistener.co.uk/dog-food- ... -and-burns
In which he quotes..re Royal canin...
56.99 for 15 KG: Dehydrated Poultry Protein, Maize/Corn Maize Flour, Wheat, Wheat Flour, Animal Fats, Pork Protein, Hydrolysed Animal Proteins, Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Yeasts, Minerals, Hydrolysed Brewer's Yeast Artificial Preservatives, Antioxidants.
Poultry is acceptable; though it is better to look for meats with named meat sources (like chicken, turkey, duck etc.); Maize and wheat have both been consistently linked to dietary intolerance and digestive problems.

Maize generally called corn in the UK, is certainly amongst the most contentious of ingredients. With the food manufacturers being the most vocal for its use. The ones against it are mainly canine nutritionists and some vets who now recommend avoiding maize-based diets altogether. They claim that it is harder for dogs to digest, and is likely to lead to food intolerance or allergies.

Wheat is often seen in lower-grade dog food; it is a cheap filler and makes forming biscuits and kibble easier. Wheat intolerant dogs are quite common. The gluten protein contained in the grain damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. Wheat intolerance can lead to wide-ranging health issues that most commonly affects the skin, coat and digestive system.

Hydrolysed Animal Proteins this ingredient is contentious for a number of reasons: The process of hydrolysis uses acids or enzymatic action which is severely criticised by natural feeding advocates. Secondly, during this breakdown of proteins monosodium glutamate (MSG) can be formed. MSG is classified as a food additive and flavour enhancer and has been linked with food addiction in humans. But when added to foods in this way it does not need to be declared.

The final issue with hydrolysed animal proteins is that you have no way of knowing what parts or what animals the proteins come from. It could come from parts humans would never dream of eating.

Antioxidants inhibit the destructive effects of oxidation (decay) therefore it is an artificial preservative. There are wide-ranging concerns over their effects on health. Antioxidants BHA (E320), and Propyl Gallate (E310) have long been suspected of contributing to cancer. Another common preservative is potassium sorbate (E202), is listed as a skin, eye and respiratory irritant. These Antioxidants are in some if not all of Royal Canin’s range of dog foods."

"...............
We use Nd kibble by farmina ,ancestral grain..suits both my dogs..I scald the kibble prior to feeding..just two minutes..
Then I add a small amount of either...fish,sardine,salmon,whitefish etc
Or boiled rabbit,or beef..
Maybe boiled veg.eg carrots ,peas,courgettes or beans .. often these foods are on our human menu so the costs are contained..

Both your dogs have red beards and red legs on the photo...both signs of yeast infection caused by diet..id definitely get them off the grain rich royal Canin for starters .
Last edited by Robin black mini on 29 Jun 2018, 12:29, edited 3 times in total.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I agree with Jo get them off royal canin. Have a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk website for ideas.

I would recommend Forthglade. They do wet trays of grain free and if you're wanting a dry food they do a cold pressed food which is easy on tums. I recommend this as Barney is a really fussy eater and he will eat these.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Dawnspell wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 12:10 I agree with Jo get them off royal canin. Have a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk website for ideas.

I would recommend Forthglade. They do wet trays of grain free and if you're wanting a dry food they do a cold pressed food which is easy on tums. I recommend this as Barney is a really fussy eater and he will eat these.
Alison, I've never heard of Forthglade before but I've had a look at their website and have to say that I'm impressed. I'm guessing Rosie would eat 2 trays in 3 days. Does that sound about right? I know Barney's a bit taller (and therefore heavier) and I'm assuming has a tray a day?
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I know some people say that mixing wet and dry dog food isn't great for their tummies but my Oscar and Sasha love the mix.

On the wet food side, we add a little of Natures Menu to their meal. We buy the pack of 8 sachets (4 different flavours) and they last us a fair while:

https://www.petscorner.co.uk/dogs/food/ ... ack-300g-8

On the dry food size we use McAdams Small Breed Chicken, we tried Oscar on the Salmon and he turned his nose up :(

https://www.petscorner.co.uk/dogs/food/ ... in-2-sizes
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

If you are checking out new grain free wet food I can recommend Naturediet. Not sloppy, no mess, smells good Otto loves it. One tray a day for Otto either lamb or chicken with a spoonful of fresh green veg on top. I think it has the same rating as Forthglade but I notice there is a much higher fibre content in Naturediet which I like. It is very difficult to choose a new one though. Glad I don't have that problem.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi Sam. Barney has less than a tray a day but he has the cold pressed as treats through the day. Look on amazon to buy the trays they work out way cheaper then pet shops over here, as depending on which you get the VAT gets knocked off and its free delivery. They sell the smaller bags of cold pressed in Waitrose.

Mike its not recommended to mix extruded dry food with raw as they get digested at different rates. Coldpressed kibble is fine to feed at the same time as wet or raw as it disintegrates a lot quicker on contact with fluid.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Thanks Alison. I'll try a small bag from Waitrose as a sampler :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/