Think Oscar needs a haircut

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Duncan67
Puppy
First Name: Duncan
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 14 Aug 2017

Think Oscar needs a haircut

Post by Duncan67 »

Morning run through the grass now in need of a hair cut.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Think Oscar needs a haircut

Post by Robin black mini »

He looks a very happy dog..lovely to see him in the open fields with a grin on his face.
You mention a hair cut..
at seven months his puppy coat will be changing to adult..if you are going to strip him now is the time..all the brown hair on his legs will come out with a coarse stripping knife run through the legs..if you want to know more ,join us on the grooming section.
Duncan67
Puppy

Post by Duncan67 »

We had him trimmed a few months ago which in hindsight was a bad idea. We asked the groomer for him to be stripped but were told his coat wasn't suitable for stripping. The trim left him very uncomfortable and I certainly won't be putting him through that experience again.
I'm not confident enough yet to attempt myself so looking for groomer in Cheshire area.
Will definitely look at grooming forum though thanks.
Last edited by Duncan67 on 05 Jul 2018, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan67
Puppy

Post by Duncan67 »

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Duncan, he is a very handsome boy with a lovely face. From what I can see from the photo, the groom that he had looks nice although they seem to have cut the hair at the front of the beard/next to nose and the front legs a bit too short. His ears are beautifully finished. Was the experience uncomfortable for him? It is a long time for a pup if that is their first experience on a grooming table and can be quite traumatic if not handled gently. If you are wanting someone to strip or at least assess the coat for you, the groomer will want you to get in to a routine of carding the coat between strips otherwise it is just too much to ask of a groomer and hard on the pup/dog. The ideal would be for a groomer who has the experience and time to show you how to card/strip and roll the coat but you need to be going quite regularly initially. As Jo suggests take a look at the stuff on here on grooming and also there are some good video clips that give you an idea of what is required. Now is the time to decide looking at Oscar's coat because it is the ideal opportunity to start if his coat is suitable.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Duncan67
Puppy

Post by Duncan67 »

Thanks Julie, the experience was only uncomfortable after the event, Oscar had been shaved far too close around his rear end which meant sitting wasn't pleasant for him, especially as he hasn't been neutered yet. The groomer said he had behaved very well though and was quite easy to work with for a first timer. My partner definitely wants him groomed as a Schnauzer whilst I love his unkempt appearance, maybe just the nonconformist in me.
I'll take a look at the grooming section as advised by Jo, Oscar is our first Schnauzer and it's a long learning curve. He loves being outdoors in forests and woods where he can dig and sniff for literally hours topped off by a swim in the river, but boy does that coat then need some care.
Thanks for the advise.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I understand completely, running through fields and woods if the coat is long is a nightmare when you get home and then if Oscar has been swimming as well - I can only imagine, I have a schnauzer that won't under any circumstances willingly enter water thankfully. I am fed up with these sticky bobbles on goosegrass I think it is called. I remove about 30 a day at the moment.
Robin black mini

Oscar 12345 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 15:42 I understand completely, running through fields and woods if the coat is long is a nightmare when you get home and then if Oscar has been swimming as well - I can only imagine, I have a schnauzer that won't under any circumstances willingly enter water thankfully. I am fed up with these sticky bobbles on goosegrass I think it is called. I remove about 30 a day at the moment.
Hi Julie. A soft slicker gets then off in seconds..mine are collecting these too,plus the dreaded spiked grass seeds..we even keep a slicker in the car for after their walk..the worst are removed at once..if they clump together into the hair I spray detangling spray in and it all slides out on the slicker.

I've found a lot of the blacks do have soft leg hair,but great wire on the bodies..we also keep the leg hair short as we live in the country .Its really cut drying time down for Robin.Compared to my ST poodle she's a fast groom..his legs can take over half an hour to dry,even with a huge blaster drier.

Re boy bits..we use a 3mm guard to shave around the groin and close to the " jewels" area..and max 2 mm near the anus...my boy will even lift his leg up high for me to clip him there and it's taken time for him to be relaxed about having this area groomed.
Also a bit of medicated talc helps to keep the area calm and avoid any flares afterwards.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Jo, I will have to try the slicker and keep it in the boot room for after a walk. I don't use a detangler, which brand of detangling spray do you use - I am sure there have been some recent posts on that. My sister complains about the drying time on her cockapoo who has very poodle like hair. Thank goodness Otto will tolerate a blaster dryer even if it is on low speed.
Robin black mini

I use decathlon detangling spray for horses...sometimes called mane and tail spray detangler..works a treat.
I also spray it on the legs and skirt after a bath..when I blow dry and brush ,the spray helps to keep the hair nice and straight.
https://www.google.it/search?q=decathlo ... MqcO14uMnM:
I buy the small bottles..500 mls.. I got a bottle today,price has just gone up, this new bottle is stating it adds shine .....perhaps they've changed the ingredients..I I bet they've added more silicone....
Compared to dog detangling sprays it is still cheaper.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Jo I will take a look.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I've used the mane and tail but found its effects only good for one day. What I use is for Hoomans Richard ward anti-ageing argan 10 in 1 leave in spray. Just rub into damp hair works a treat for a few days and smells lovely, not too over powering.

Hasn't Oscar got long ears ! I thought he was a standard at first glance
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Duncan67
Puppy

Post by Duncan67 »

Hi Alison
He's a big lad for a mini weighing in at 13kg at 10 months and standing 16 inches to the withers.
Too big for a mini or too small for a standard?
We bought Oscar from a none breeder in Bristol I only saw his mother and brothers so his lineage could be dubious.
We're asked everyday, "What breed is he?" Especially when we let his coat grow.
When reading other owners accounts of their dogs behaviour and traits it's certainly Oscar to a T. Mad as a box of frogs is the best way to describe him, full of energy loves being outdoors especially in woods and forests where he can run, dig and chase rabbits.
He didn't immediately take to water, it did take a few attempts to lure him in but he now thinks he's a fish.
Robin black mini

Duncan...i have to ask,what is a "none breeder"?
For me,anyone who breeds even " just one litter" is a breeder,with all the connotations( should health test) and consequences( probably didn't health test).
Duncan67
Puppy

Post by Duncan67 »

Hi Jo, probably the wrong choice of words. By None Breeder I meant the person doesn't breed on a regular basis and Oscar isn't KC Registered.