New babies

Had enough of your Schnauzer for one day. Then sit back, relax and put your feet up. You can let off a little steam here about things unrelated to your four-legged schnauzer.
Bgmusick9118
First Name: Brandie

New babies

Post by Bgmusick9118 »

Can someone please tell me when and if my babies coats will change any. Ie: lighten/darken... I’m not a breeder and i don’t really know a whole lot about these babies as I’m fairly new to the schnauzers.. my white schnauzer Dozer and his mate Penelope salt and Pepper Parti have had some beautiful babies but i don’t know how to classify their colors!!! Help!!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: New babies

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi Photos of pups would help, we just love puppy photos really.
I'm guessing you are in US as parti colours aren't very common in UK,

Whites generally stay white unless stripped when they can change to a wheaten colour. The other colours generally maintain the colour they are if stripped but if clipped will change to the colour of the undercoat. Which is more often then not lighter. Hope that helps.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: New babies

Post by zeta1454 »

Why do you need to classify the colours?
I would just enjoy watching the puppies develop and not worry about their coats. When two pure bred dogs of the same colour are mated it is usually much easier to predict or identify colouring but with a blend of colours as you describe it is almost impossible.

If you are wanting to know the colour in order to register the puppies with the American Kennel Club, I imagine you will find that they just have a "catch all" description for non-standard colours as does the UK Kennel Club something to the effect of "colour not recognised" so no need to worry about trying to work out a description. If you want to know for advertising the pups for sale, I would just describe the parent's colouring as you have above.

As Dawnspell says, colours can change quite radically even in adulthood depending on whether a dog is stripped or clipped so I would just wait and see how the puppies' coats develop as they mature :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/