Feeding Puppy

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
chrispy179
First Name: Chris

Feeding Puppy

Post by chrispy179 »

We've been feeding our pup (now 14 weeks) Skinners puppy food as this was what the breeder started him on. Going by the recommended amounts on the package seems very off. Hes around 5KG now and it says 225-400g of food per day. This seems a lot to me. We've been feeding him 4 times a day but when I feed him this much (about 55-60g/meal) he gets soft poos and sometimes doesnt finish the meal.

How much should we be feeding him? Does the type of food make a big difference?

Thanks
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Feeding Puppy

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Chris,

Is Einstein really 5kg at 14 weeks? He doesn't look overly large in the photo's you posted. I thought he'd be closer to 4 kg at that age.

Nevertheless, regarding food, I think that the Skinners needs a high volume of food due to the lower quality of its ingredients. If it was my pup I'd be switching to a better quality of food that requires a lower amount per serving - typically 30g-35g per meal 4 times a day. That way his poo would be lower in volume as he'd be having time to process it better. If you do change, be sure to do it over a few days though to let him adjust.

There's a wide range of food available for Einstein and we all have our preferences but have a look at this website https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk and do a bit of research and you can decide for yourself.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Feeding Puppy

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Chris,

I agree with Sam, Otto was 5kg at 5 months are you sure he is that weight?? I looked at the Naturediet puppy feed guidelines and they suggest 390g at 5 kg which is a whole packet whereas at your pup's age Otto was being fed about 260g which is a big difference. If you can get him weighed properly, get the vet to assess size/shape for age. Then once you have that baseline and judgement you can think about whether you want to change food. Whilst I don't think skinners is a bad food it is probably average and there are many others that might be better for your pup. Remember to change over carefully over a few days if you decide to try something else.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.