Determined little girl

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Determined little girl

Post by Kazzi »

So Coco has been with us almost 2 weeks & we're seeing a lot more of her personality coming through. She's still pretty loving & can't wait to snuggle beside us on the sofa in the evening, she shadows us carefully until we finally sit.
However, we've also discovered she's one determined little mini. We have several steps down to our garden, the terrace area outside the back door is blocked until we want to bring her down. I'm carrying her up & down but she's now nipping when being lifted as she wants to do it herself - sometimes she races up the steps before I can get to her. I have begun to treat when I carry her down which is starting to help but how long do I need to be concerned about steps for? Also, when out for her walk today I felt she'd done her 15mins & lifted her. Again not happy wanted to be down & walking as obviously lots of smells etc & wriggled & nipped - I did give her treats when calm & praised which was OK for a few mins but she started up again before long. I suppose this is all normal behaviour, maybe I should bring my pet carrier rather than carry her in my arms....
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Determined little girl

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Karen

Is it possible for you to get a piece(s) of wood to form a safe ramp on the steps for her. I can quite understand how she will get frustrated having to hold all that excitement of getting down into the garden. I would try to make sure that your walk includes the time to come back home with her on the ground. I assume the 15 minutes is the 5 min per month rule. That is for constant pavement walking and not musing around sniffing which means you could be out longer with her.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

I wonder if you really need to worry about Coco's running up and down the stairs??

I would have thought that this would be more for Giant Schnauzers as they need far more time to develop.

Even with large dogs, one must show them how to manage the stairs as pups. Afterwards, caution is advised.

I have never had a Schnauzer before and can only guess that the XS variety is ok with stairs, usw.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Karen, if you think she's big enough to manage the steps to the garden then I'd let her. The potential damage to the growth plates is more likely to be done with jumping off sofas and beds and being over exercised on hard surfaces such as roads and pavements.

My new mini Edie, is 8 weeks old today and I allow her to go up the steps herself but do lift her down (there are only 2). She still stops but I know that she will want to have a go very soon as she seems to have a similar personality to Coco.

Having a ramp, like Julie suggested, sounds like a good compromise to me if you still have concerns.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Karen..I also have a bossy girl...my advice is to be equally determined...nipping can become a habit..so ,I would not tolerate the nipping when you pick her up and definitely not treat her after the event ,even if shes settled down..I would verbally praise for doing well,but nipping/biting is something you need to stop whilst they are tiny or it could escalate.
I pick my dog up several times a day...eg I put her on a table to get her harness on,to groom,to have a look at feet or teeth etc..I have done this from day one.I did get one nip the second day I had her when I started to use a slicker brush..I used my voice only ,to tell her sharply that it was not allowed and she's never done it again..
I had the most assertive pup from her litter..she used to growl when picked up and was the last pick..everyone refused her as she was too full on...she has become the most loving dog I've had,really obedient,but is strong character and has to respect you to follow you...our rules are clear and calm,but we have little tolerance here for any nipping..I don't mean play biting,but genuine nipping to get ones way.
Re walks..I would take a bag with you on your walks,and use a clip lead on the harness / bag so she doesn't jump out..so won't need the bag for long but it's a good idea to use one so you can walk far without her getting overtired..
I used follow the five minute,per month age rule too,on road walks,but let the pup have longer on grass to sniff and explore..
We still have safety gates on the stairs here,so I can contain dogs on one level..I didn't put the gate on when she was eight weeks and this tiny ball of determination shocked me by climbing the stairs on her first day here..the stair treads were taller than she was...!!! The gate went on that day...four years later we have one on still !as mentioned,they are very useful.

Just to add re stairs,the biggest risk to a small pup is taking a tumble in their haste to run down stairs...mine used to try to fly two steps at a time to catch up with her ST poodle brother,so we did carry her downstairs until about 5 m as our stairs are granite and she could have broken a leg.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks for the replies.
Yes perhaps she's ok to do the steps, she can certainly get up them easily enough. I think I'll just encourage safe & slow up. We can't really put a ramp so think I'll still carry her down for a little longer as it's 8 steps.

Just to reassure, I'm not treating after nipping. Rather I'm getting her to sit, treat, lift & then treat again if she's good with that & I can carry her down the stairs. I agree any nipping is not to be tolerated & she definitely likes to show if she'd rather be doing something else. She doesn't like being picked up by children, a friend of my daughter's picked her up without asking, a split second move right beside me & Coco was not happy - I don't think she felt secure. So advice on how to improve on that behaviour would be very welcome not that I'm allowing children to just pick her up at will she's definitely not a toy but more for my daughter who she was initially fine with but not so keen now.

She's ok with being handled when she's calm & kinda tired after play & doesn't mind brushing - although I'd like her to actually stand still!

I may be overegging the 5 minute rule. We walk mostly on grass with lots of sniffing about & just a small amount on the road, we were out for longer today as my daughter was practising cycling so I thought she'd possibly done enough. From what you guys are saying actually I could have let her go for longer. I still have a lot to learn!
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks for the replies.
Yes perhaps she's ok to do the steps, she can certainly get up them easily enough. I think I'll just encourage safe & slow up. We can't really put a ramp so think I'll still carry her down for a little longer as it's 8 steps.

Just to reassure, I'm not treating after nipping. Rather I'm getting her to sit, treat, lift & then treat again if she's good with that & I can carry her down the stairs. I agree any nipping is not to be tolerated & she definitely likes to show if she'd rather be doing something else. She doesn't like being picked up by children, a friend of my daughter's picked her up without asking, a split second move right beside me & Coco was not happy - I don't think she felt secure. So advice on how to improve on that behaviour would be very welcome not that I'm allowing children to just pick her up at will she's definitely not a toy but more for my daughter who she was initially fine with but not so keen now.

She's ok with being handled when she's calm & kinda tired after play & doesn't mind brushing - although I'd like her to actually stand still!

I may be overegging the 5 minute rule. We walk mostly on grass with lots of sniffing about & just a small amount on the road, we were out for longer today as my daughter was practising cycling so I thought she'd possibly done enough. From what you guys are saying actually I could have let her go for longer. I still have a lot to learn!
Robin black mini

I wouldn't let any other children pick up the pup,( risk of dropping pup) but definitely encourage pup to come to your daughter when she sits on the floor.then pup can get on or off her lap as she wishes .this way they can both get used to each other but not feel overwhelmed..its early days so you want them all to be settled and get used to each other.How old is your daughter?
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Hi Jo, my daughter is 8 & pretty sensible. they're getting along like a house on fire & having loads of fun. You're right I don't allow children to pick her up but it has put her off my daughter a little, she'll happily climb into her lap & if my daughter is lying on the floor is all over her licking her. I just don't want it to become a 'thing' for Coco. Perhaps we'll just carry on with that for a little while then progress to handling like she's going to raise her up but doesn't & see how comfortable she is & take slow stages from there.
Robin black mini

I think young pups especially ,live in the moment,so I wouldn't worry about a tiny hiccup.Your daughter is a perfect age to become her best mate..just think ,this pup will see her go to uni ,share her confidences ,I bet they become inseparable.
Ps...we need more puppy pics asthey grow so fast!
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks Jo, we just really want to get it right with her. She's a character which we love but we also want to be sure she's a lovely dog to be with & one we can take out & about with us. We've had two really positive meetings with other dogs out on walks now, whereas before she'd bark her head off these were calm older dogs that had little interest in her & she was equally calm in return & tried to play. Very sweet.
She's still nipping occasionally when picked up, I don't always do the treat approach perhaps I should be consistent & continue for a little longer as my deep voiced No doesn't seem to have an impact. what do you think? Also any tips for stopping her eating my sandals with my feet in them! If I don't have a toy/treat to hand even standing still or high pitched yelp doesn't quite do it & her drop command is not bedded in yet. Still a lot to learn.

Otherwise she is wonderful. Here are a couple of pics: one of her licking my daughter to pieces, the other her enjoying the off spray from our garden hose - this led to a mad puppy moment where she was racing around like a mad hare going to get more wet, then racing off again in excitement. Very funny I wish I had taken a video now

Robin black mini

Kazzi wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 11:42 Thanks Jo, we just really want to get it right with her. She's a character which we love but we also want to be sure she's a lovely dog to be with & one we can take out & about with us. We've had two really positive meetings with other dogs out on walks now, whereas before she'd bark her head off these were calm older dogs that had little interest in her & she was equally calm in return & tried to play. Very sweet.i

All positive here..carry on and be consistent..you are doing great and by one year will have the dog you've put work into..

She's still nipping occasionally when picked up, I don't always do the treat approach perhaps I should be consistent & continue for a little longer as my deep voiced No doesn't seem to have an impact. what do you think? Also any tips for stopping her eating my sandals with my feet in them! If I don't have a toy/treat to hand even standing still or high pitched yelp doesn't quite do it & her drop command is not bedded in yet. Still a lot to learn.

I use the word. Hey! or enough! Clear and sharp...the message will get through.

Re innate objects..eg chewing sandals ,biting on a lead etc.
Try bitter Apple spray on shoes( better still don't leave them down) if you are wearing the shoes,stand still..cuts the chase impulse...say off or enough..if it continues,gently stamp foot as you say enough..careful ! Slow ,exaggerated movements,so it's safe but clear it's a no go zone.
On lead ,we used to put Vicks eucalyptus cream on lead, for my rottie,and she would be auto corrected by the lead not to hang on/ bite lead as a pup..
Nowadays I leave my shoes down,,dog tried a couple of times to walk off with a shoe...I say NOT my shoes..so....
These days she takes hubs shoe...he's a pushover,so kind and sweet...but dog knows she can still run off with HIS shoe to get attention..so here the whole family has to be consistent for results..these dogs have lazerbeam intelligence..they will pick their victims lol.

Otherwise she is wonderful. Here are a couple of pics: one of her licking my daughter to pieces, the other her enjoying the off spray from our garden hose - this led to a mad puppy moment where she was racing around like a mad hare going to get more wet, then racing off again in excitement. Very funny I wish I had taken a video now

these are the the magic moments,they are a lot of fun and it's times like this the pup will choose its person and bond.. Loads of photos needed, it goes so fast!
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Jo, I'm laughing at the fact she won't take your shoes but your husbands are fair game :D
The shoe issue is when we're putting them on or whilst wearing, we are keeping them up out of her way otherwise. She probably just needs a bit more time, the training seems to be working a little sometimes so we'll just keep building & hope I keep my toes intact in the interim! I've realised that she's probably also getting overtired as she won't sleep/rest easily if we're pottering about the house, the desire to be with us is strong. So today I've put her into her crate so even if I leave the room she knows she can't follow, she seems to be happy enough about it.
I like the Vicks tip, do you think peppermint oil would be effective (I have allergic reactions to many things so need to be careful what I use). Thanks for all the advice
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Makes me smile reading about the shoe stealers.... You seem to go from getting them back by grabbing hold of the shoe and not letting go until you have it to now when I say "not Mummy's shoe" he doesn't drop it he literally spits it out for me. If I spot him going to take one I can stop it with a No but it is so tempting for them and you have to laugh at the way they have them in their mouth and are watching your reactions or run outside with them and wait for you to find them. Taken a while to get here though as they so want what they know you don't want them to have.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

For sure Julie, she definitely wants what we don't want her to have. Makes it much more tempting ;)