A thread for Rosie and Edie

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

A thread for Rosie and Edie

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I'm not ashamed to admit that this afternoon I cried for the first time in many years. I didn't cry because I was unhappy, rather they were tears of happiness and relief.

Rosie was born on 6 July and I collected her when she was just short of 12 weeks old so I have owned her for almost one year. She is the most wonderful companion and friend but she has the most dreadful anxiety with strangers and other dogs.

We have had consultations with an animal behaviourist, Rosie Barclay, which was very helpful for us in understanding how Rosie was feeling and how we could help her. I also met up with a schnauzer group here in Guernsey who meet up on an occasional and informal basis for a group dog walk, usually on a Sunday morning.

Rosie has always had to be encouraged to take part in these and my wife would not attend any after the first walk as she found it too upsetting to see Rosie unable to join in due to her anxiety. I watched her closely and could see glimmers of hope although in all the time I've owned her she has never interacted with another dog. Those of you who've read my previous posts will know of my concerns regarding Rosie's background.

I considered getting another pup but was determined to ensure that I could trust the background of the dog. Many of you on the forum thought I should wait until Rosie was around 2 years before taking that step. After consulting the animal behaviourist and considering what an "old soul" Rosie is I chose Edie to be her companion and we collected her on Friday morning from a KC assured breeder.

Rosie was curious but was terrified of Edie and on Friday evening I did wonder what the hell I had done as I had to feed Rosie in my bedroom where she had gone to hide. On Saturday things improved slightly and we kept a firmer control on Edie. On Sunday, Edie was kept on a collar and lead to prevent her from rushing at Rosie and I saw Rosie becoming more comfortable with Edie and Edie in return was calming down as she was submitting to the control.

I was feeding Edie at lunchtime today and Rosie came over to Edie's bowl for a mooch around. I was astonished as it was so out of character for her to act in that way so after lunch, I took Edie onto the grass to play, still on her collar and lead and my wife brought Rosie out. They played independently, then I slipped Edie's lead off and threw a toy for her to chase. Rosie chased too and play bowed, tail wagging, then the two of them exhausted themselves running around taking turns to chase.

My big girl has finally found out how to play and I couldn't be happier for her.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: A thread for Rosie and Edie

Post by Oscar 12345 »

What a great day for you all and no better confirmation that you have made the right decision and Rosie has her play mate. Now you have shared your story I can absolutely understand what a difficult decision this has been for you but so pleased for you all. I will now have a glass of something cold and sparkly to toast and celebrate your fine judgement and the arrival of Edie.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

What a lovely post,I am so pleased this is working so well for you all and especially Rosie. Nothing wrong with a tear or too,this is a huge hurdle that you've all passed today,it's fantastic news.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

That's brilliant news Sam - I know I don't know Rosie but I promise you, they sort things out amongst themselves and I am sure in a few weeks/month you will wonder what you even worried about :)

Oscar was quiet and submissive, Sasha joined us all confident and like a bull in a china shop, tear-arsing around the place and it took Oscar a couple of days to get used to her but after that, they were and are inseparable.

The thing I still struggle with is ensuring I give them both equal attention and play time - so you may well face that anguish too.

Good luck but it sounds like things are ticking along nicely :D
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Just the two girls, chilling out today.

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Lovely picture and I'm liking your new profile picture too, with both Rosie and Edie :D
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 09:31 Lovely picture and I'm liking your new profile picture too, with both Rosie and Edie :D
Thanks Mike. I think Edie must have Sasha's traits. She's full on, all the time then suddenly the batteries run out and she goes off to her bed for a recharge so she can do it all over again. :D

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam lovely photo and really like your profile picture too.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Hi Sam

There's nothing to be ashamed of shedding a tear or two. I'm shedding a tear or two now just from reading your post.

Absolutely wonderful.

Gill
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Thanks for your comments, they're much appreciated.

The two girls continue to develop their relationship and are comfortable with each other. The main issue we have is at meal times, Rosie is a grazer whereas Edie is a gannet but I expect as she matures she will slow her eating down as there's no sibling competition for food.

I've started basic training with Edie. We do a few minutes twice a day on her own and then bring both dogs together for a couple of minutes. She is very secure already with the sit and the down is coming on well too. If you're at all interested I've put some video's on a youtube page which is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU15tu ... 84X01Jyq1g

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Sam,

Firstly the eating. Sasha was exactly the same at that age. I always fed Oscar and Sasha together, next to one another and Sasha would gobble up her food at a quick rate whilst Oscar was still slowly eating his. At first she would try and pinch his food so I then took her away for some training sessions (obedience) until such time Oscar finished. As time went on and she presumably realised no one was going to take the food off her, she slowed down and now they both eat at the same rate.

And the videos are lovely, my favourites are playing in the garden, where Rosie takes the soft toy and runs around with it, then Edie makes a claim and the training one. That training one is lovely and at one stage, Rosie did something Oscar did when I trained them together. You ask Edie to sit or down, and Rosie raises her paw to you as if it say, "I am, so where is my treat".....with Sasha and Oscar, if I asked her to sit or down and Oscar was already doing it, he would huff at me wanting his treat for being a good boy.

I put together a YouTube site for my boy ages ago but have been a very bad owner and not updated it in a while and have not put any videos of Sasha on there :( it's reminded me to do so at some point: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoyXxs ... Puw/videos

Cheers
Mike
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 14:04 I put together a YouTube site for my boy ages ago but have been a very bad owner and not updated it in a while and have not put any videos of Sasha on there :( it's reminded me to do so at some point:
Really pleased you added the link - and updated the videos too :)

Nice to see two dogs of similar age interact and know that mine are acting in much the same way. The playing really does look rough at first but Edie usually instigates it and more than holds her own with Rosie. It's lovely to see that even though she's no play experience, Rosie "knows the rules" and doesn't try and take advantage of Edie.

More pics taken today and I'm having a bit of me time as both girls are having a snooze between play sessions :)

Image Image Image Image Image

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Beautiful pictures :D
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Lovely photos, I just love the way a schnauzer pup sits with the bottom to the side....
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

So when the vet wants to check your teeth you need to open wide like this. OK?