Thinking of getting a Giant

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
SnailPorridge
Puppy
First Name: Margherita
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 2012

Thinking of getting a Giant

Post by SnailPorridge »

Hi all,
We own a 6 year old standard, moves to the country and after having met a few giants, are thinking of getting one. Everywhere I read it says they are great if well trained but not suitable around young children. I have a 4.5 year old and looking to have another one. Looking for real life tips and examples of how giants are around children in the family and with other children, my hose is basically the village playground so we always have 2/3 ormore children ruining about in the garden. Would I have to separate the dog, will he chase the kids? What is behaviour like with youngsters? Lottie tends to do running around with them then just goes somewhere to watch her young owner from a distance. Any advice/real life experience welcome.
Thank you
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Thinking of getting a Giant

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I know nothing about Giants other than I think they are magnificent. I know you are looking for real life examples but the info from various web-sites suggests this isn't a good idea where small children are concerned....

Giant Schnauzers are among the more dominant breeds and not recommended for homes with young children. In fact, the suggested age range of children is 12 and older.
Read more at https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/giant-sc ... LSKYJFc.99

Although they will make a great family dog, they should not be in the same home as very small children. They have a tendency to be very hyperactive in their youth and may inadvertently hurt a small child. The Giant Schnauzer may bite small children. Great caution should be taken with these animals when there are small children around. They will need to be taught that certain behaviors are not appropriate around a small child. There is a steep learning curve here, so proceed at your own risk.

Many individuals are too spirited for small children, and some become overprotective of their own kids when a group is engaging in rough-and-tumble play.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Re: Thinking of getting a Giant

Post by Riesen16 »

I would not subscribe to the fact that Giant Schnauzers should not be in the same home as very small children.

The Schnauzers, mini, medium and giant are all a handfull to train.
The Schnauzer (medium) is the only Schnauzer that has never been crossed with other breeds. It is very often difficult to train.
With small children, any breed will be a challenge and Schnauzers are not worse than many.