The Titer Test

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

The Titer Test

Post by zeta1454 »

Titer testing is now becoming more usual among concerned dog owners both those who have experienced adverse effects damaging the health of their dogs and those who simply prefer to be certain that their dogs actually need a vaccine before routinely having it administered.

For anyone who has not come across the titer/titre test before it is a simple blood test that involves taking a very small sample of blood from the dog and testing it in a laboratory for the presence of circulating antibodies. The blood sample will usually be taken at the veterinary surgery and sent to a laboratory for testing although in-house Vacci-check kits are now readily available if a vet practice wishes to do it in-house at a much reduced cost to the client. The price may vary from £30 for a Vaccicheck up to £100 or more depending on how much the vet practice wishes to make on the service. However should the test reveal a positive result for your dog the current view is that the test need not be repeated nor further vaccination required:

http://truth4pets.org/2012/06/titer-testing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a copy of the certificate with results for one of our dogs:

You may find that some vets will advise that a result of 40 or more is the minimum to demonstrate there is no need for vaccination but, as indicated in the above linked article, the immune system once effectively stimulated to recognise and destroy the viruses against which the core vaccines have been given will store the details of the virus for future identification and antibodies will be produced as and when needed. Antibodies against disease do not circulate in high numbers when not required but are produced when the body is under attack. Diseases such as parvovirus which may be prevalent in the environment nowadays will be reflected in the higher antibody reading for this showing the dog has encountered and defeated this in the not too distant past. Diseases such as distemper that are much more rare may often be denoted by a low reading as the dog has not needed to counter this. Expose the dog to the disease and the antibody reading will rise.

Puppies vaccinated at a young age i.e With the last shot being before 16 weeks should really be titer tested a couple of weeks post vaccination to establish if the vaccines have actually worked as otherwise it is an act of faith whether they have immunity or not and, if not, can lead to those situations reported not infrequently where previously vaccinated pups have actually gone on to contract the disease. Maternal antibodies to infection can continue to circulate up to 16 weeks and if still strong will counteract the vaccine although most will have waned by 10-12 weeks and vaccine manufacturers do claim their product is effective with just one set of vaccines administered at 10 weeks.

Before repeating any vaccination against the core vaccines a titer test will help to establish whether further vaccines are actually needed and prevent any unnecessary stress being put on a developing immune system. Older dogs are rarely in need of vaccination if vaccinated at 16 weeks or later as, if fit and well, their mature immune system should be well able to withstand infection by the core diseases and, if they are chronically ill, they should not be vaccinated anyway.

Not all insurance companies insist on constant vaccination for covering illnesses unrelated to the vaccinated diseases and not all training classes require it. Titer testing post successful puppy vaccination is by far a safer way forward to keep your dog healthy and is gradually becoming widely known and accepted in veterinary circles here as in the USA where much of the research has been carried out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
lesleyn
First Name: Lesley
Dog #1: Alan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 Mar 2013

Re: The Titer Test

Post by lesleyn »

Thanks for posting Leigh, really helpful. We're just deciding whether to get Alan's year booster done and I'd read about the Titer test but this explains it really well.
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie

Post by Cat M »

:-bd Great post Leigh
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

It is quite a few years since I originally posted this topic and titre testing has become better known and more widely available for a reasonable cost at a growing number of vet surgeries. It is a shame however, that many of those who do offer the service are still resistant when it comes to promoting it and, in many cases, seem to actively ignore the advice of the Vaccination Guidelines Group (VGG) of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association. Rather than advertising the titre test as the recommended way to establish whether or not revaccination is needed and whether a puppy has gained immunity from its puppy vaccination/s , too many surgeries are instead promoting annual or triennial vaccinations without a test via inclusive monthly payment plans, "healthy pet clubs" or simply via regular "booster" reminders and "vaccination amnesties" based on no evidence at all when it comes to Distemper, Hepatitis and Parvovirus. The VGG advises vets that titre testing is the best currently available evidence-based method of establishing whether or not a dog has immunity to Distemper, Hepatitis (Canine Adenovirus) and Canine Parvovirus, and should always be used rather than automatically giving possibly unnecessary "boosters". MLV (modified live vaccines) are known to provide long term if not lifetime immunity to a dog once successfully immunised.

From the VGG Guidelines for Vets:

"Testing for antibody is presently the only practical way to ensure that a puppy’s immune system has recognized the vaccinal antigen. Vaccines may fail to induce protective immunity in a puppy for various reasons."

"Vaccines should not be given needlessly. Core vaccines should not be given any more frequently than every three years after the 6- or 12-month booster injection following the puppy/kitten series, because the duration of immunity (DOI) is many years and may be up to the lifetime of the pet.

A dedicated owner may wish to confirm that a puppy is protected after the course of primary vaccinations when these are completed at 16 weeks or older (Figure 1). A serum sample taken at least 4 weeks after the final vaccination may be tested. This interval will ensure that MDA is no longer present and that even ‘slow responder’ puppies have seroconverted. A seropositive puppy would not require a 26 or 52 week booster and could next receive core vaccine 3 years later."

I have checked various vet practice websites of those which do offer titre testing and found none (apart from our current vet practice) that list the service on their web page. With our own vet practice they actually included the titre test six weeks after the vaccination of our new puppy as part of her Puppy Vaccination programme to confirm that she had gained immunity from the vaccine. There was no additional cost for the test and we were told that she now should have immunity (according to the vaccine manufacturer) for 3 years minimum but probably much longer and we could, if we wanted to, have her titre tested again in 2021 - no need for a "booster" at a year old although she would like to see her for a general health check.

The practice use a Vaccicheck type test which differs from the test as pictured in my initial post above. This test uses a system whereby results are marked from 0 to 6 depending on the levels of antibodies detected. In our puppy's case the results were the highest possible. In an older dog, as mentioned above, the titre result may fall depending on whether or not the dog has been exposed to the disease in the environment. The test measures circulating antibodies in the blood only and cannot measure the "memory cells" where information on the virus is stored and which will stimulate the release of more antibodies to fight infection when needed. This is why an older dog might have a low or even undetectable antibody score but still be able to mount a defence against disease.

As the Vaccination Guidelines state:

"...... the principles of ‘evidence- based veterinary medicine’ suggest that testing for antibody status (for either puppies or adult dogs) should be better practice than simply administering a vaccine booster on the basis that this would be ‘safe and cost less’."

"The presence of antibody (no matter what the titre) indicates protective immunity and immunological memory is present in that animal. Giving more frequent vaccines to animals in an attempt to increase antibody titre is a pointless exercise. It is impossible to create ‘greater immunity’ by attempting to increase an antibody titre."

And one important reason why this matters to anyone who cares about the health of their dogs, as recognised by the WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines Group:

"Vaccines should not be given needlessly, as they may cause adverse reactions. Vaccines are medical products that should be tailored to the needs of the individual animal."

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Thanks for all the helpful information Leigh.

I have no desire to pump unnecessary vaccines into Rosie. She will be a year old in a couple of weeks and will be due an annual health check. I have no idea what protocol her veterinary practice has with regards to vaccines but it will be interesting to see whether they will offer a bloodtest first or simply push for a "booster" or say she has another 2 years.

Regarding insurance; she's insured with Petplan who say that:

"Vaccinations – your pet must be kept vaccinated against:
For dogs - distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvovirus.
If not, we will not cover any amount for the illness
which has not been vaccinated against".

There is no guidance on what they mean by "kept vaccinated". I think I'll seek some guidance from them.

I'll update in a couple of weeks when I hear back from them and have been to the Vets for the checkup.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam I am at the same position as you. I was going to get Otto neutered and have a titer test done at the same time but Otto had an upset tummy so I cancelled the appointment and now I am undecided again about whether to get him "done". My vet wouldn't recommend not vaccinating/boostering and I do accept that if I choose not to then I will not be covered for those things my vet would have vaccinated for. I had to get my vet to make a special purchase of L2 because they were only offering L4. Also have a problem in that I will have to get Otto sedated for the blood test - it really isn't easy when you are trying to make the very best decision for your furry pal. I have decided I will not vaccinate for lepto because it doesn't last a year any way. So any boostering would be individual vaccines - another conversation with my vet.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Regarding Leptospirosis vaccine, this is shortlived in effect and so would need to be repeated regularly if you are getting this one done and the titre test does not cover this. When we had our puppy tested yesterday, the vet put a sticker on her vaccination card to state that she had been tested and did have immunity for Distemper Parvovirus and Hepatitis which actually should be more convincing than just saying she has received a vaccine but not knowing whether it worked! So re the insurance company I would have thought a positive titre test should be fine, it will be interesting to know what they say :-) The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health have now agreed that a titre test certification is acceptable instead of a vaccination stamp for boarding kennels (at the owner's discretion):

"Certification from a veterinary surgeon of a recent protective titre test may be accepted in individual cases as evidence of protection against adenovirus, distemper and parvovirus."

Julie - re Otto, is there a special reason why he would need to be sedated for the blood test? It is a very quick and easy procedure, taking a small quantity of blood from the front leg usually and would not normally need sedation (unless a puppy or dog is very stressed?).

I will try to add an image of the sticker on our pup's vaccination card but as my first time using this new gadget not sure if it will work!

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Actually Leigh, I may be overthinking the blood test. I just had it in my mind that he would be too stressed, I would try and see what happens. When a groomer tried to clip his nails he turned into Rudolph Nureyev on the grooming table. Thanks for all the info Leigh.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Zeta..I took the titer test link re uk laboratory into my vets ...they were really interested and will hopefully be offering this test to their clients..thankyou so much for this...it may well change history here re vaccination..at least In this small part of the the world.

Re revaccination...Robin has had her puppy shots...then was revaccinated at three years( no in between booster).
We will probably give one more vaccine around eight years...

Re lepto...I found a veterinary link in Germany, from the breed club, that states the schnauzers and pinchers are at genetic risk for the lepto vaccine,to have a bad reaction to the vacc.
I have decided never to use this vaccination.
Dr Shultz and dr Dodds ,USA vaccination gurus,also state this is a vaccine that is most likely to have an adverse reaction in small breeds..
This vaccine is short lived...mostly given to hunting dogs at high risk..
If the dog gets infected ,a course of antibiotics ,given promptly,will be more specific and recover the dog. food for thought and we must all decide for our own dogs.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

There's an interesting informative read here from a US Vet

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/t ... it-yearly/

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Just had a chat with Petplan, they are happy to accept a titer test result as proof that a booster is not required so long as it's accompanied by a letter from the vet that they are satisfied that no vaccine was needed as the dog has immunity. They also added that it would be up to the vet to decide when (if ever) to repeat the titer test . They added that in common with the cost of vaccinations, they would not pay for the titer test.

The lepto is different obviously and I would have to take my chances as they insist on an annual injection. If I don't have Rosie done then I'm on my own as far as Petplan are concerned if she runs into any problems with lepto.

zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Good article link - the information is similar to the WSAVA guidance too re Leptospirosis. It is not really a core vaccine although many British vets are pushing it as such. Our vet said that the risk is primarily with dogs that swim or drink from stagnant water during the warmer months of the year. The bacteria is widespread in humid countries such as Cuba and certain far eastern countries where the temperature rarely if ever drops to freezing and therefore can be a more worrying disease there. She said that running water, as in flowing rivers or the sea, were of little or no risk and our puppy could experience these areas with no need for a Lepto jab.
As stated above by Jo, the illness is treatable with the appropriate antibiotics if identified promptly.

Good to know that Petplan will recognise the titre test results too :-)

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I took Edie to my vet for her check up that is a condition of the sale contract when buying a puppy from a KC assured breeder. At my request, the breeder's vet had not given Edie Lepto 4 but had done the 3 core vaccinations.

I brought up the topic of leptospirosis with him and we discussed the duration of the vaccine and he said it's short lived - perhaps up to 6 months and accepted that for at least half of the year there would be no benefit from the vaccination. He also accepted that the strains covered did not offer protection to the full range but he did say that a very young puppy would find it very difficult to fight off the infection and his advice was to go for the L2 (not the L4) and he would be content if she never had it again as she would be older with a more mature immune system and that is what I did.

I also spoke to him about Rosie, who is due her "annual boosters" in October. He advised me that there would be no need as the vaccine manufacturers state that their products recommended repeat doses every 3 years but that I should do a titre test two years from now to see if any vaccinations would be necessary.

The fee for the titre test would be approx £100 plus a normal consultation fee.

Maybe things are changing?

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, thanks for sharing, that is good news. Otto is in the same position as your Rosie and also had the L2 rather than L4. Hopefully my vet will be of the same mind when I take Otto for his annual check up.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Good news Sam :-)

That does sound promising - there definitely are some informed vet practices who are beginning to implement the guidelines which all vets should follow. I really do hope that more will follow suit. I don't know whether your vet practice is an independent one but I think they may have more scope to promote the recommendations of the WSAVA vaccination guidelines than the practices who are part of a franchise like Vets4Pets or owned by a corporation like CVS - practices that, even if they offer titre testing, do not encourage
clients to take this up.

I would urge people to ask about a titre test for their dogs before revaccinating even if the vets do not mention it. Our eleven year old dog was last vaccinated in 2011 and two titre tests since then have confirmed that he his immunity to the core diseases is still fine :-)