New from the states!

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
gobigred
First Name: Gwen

New from the states!

Post by gobigred »

Hello all,

I'm coming to you from the states. I'm presently a data wizard for a university research and community outreach center. However, I have previously lived in the UK (Canterbury) where I studied at Kent Uni. Not a lot of giants around here but we are in talks to get to know more about the breed and are trying to get more connected to the community. I want to know more about giants because I'd like a smart running partner who will play with our family and be a good companion to our Scottie. She's wonderful but not the brightest (she's also a rescue and is pretty quirky). Wants to please at times but also very stubborn. And her legs keep her from running too far these days. She is so in need of a buddy! She took a lot of work at first but has three years later become very reliable. With the exception of recall. I don't think that will ever be her thing. She will find a scent or a rodent and will only return when she feels like it.

We've been talking to a breeder and a rescue. I kind of fell in love with the breed and since I lost my dog two years ago, we have put it off. Schnauzers (standards and giants) have been on my wishlist since my husband decided on the scottie. She is mostly my toddler's dog these days. She's hook line and sinker for that kid and that kid feels the same. Right now she likes to declare "I'm a dog" and she won't hear otherwise haha. We're just about to move into the house we bought and my husband says I'm nesting. TBH, I was just too heartbroken to search until now. I lost my old man (a chiXterrier mix) to dementia. He had to be PTS when it got so bad he was terrified to leave his crate or eat and couldn't understand day/night cycles. I still feel terrible about losing him. He was a remarkable dog.

Anyhow, looking forward to getting to know more of you and more about Schnauzers! Not sure when we will get a dog but we are open to rescues and those from breeders - adults and puppies. We are just looking to find the right dog for our family.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: New from the states!

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome :-h

Sounds like any size schnauzer would be good for you. "I want to know more about giants because I'd like a smart running partner who will play with our family and be a good companion to our Scottie." Don't be put off by the minis size for a running partner one would keep pace with you.

There a big difference in size between a scottie, chi mix and a giant schnauzer. Have you had large breed before?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

My first mini Molly, who is now 15 years and 4 months old, was my regular running buddy from when she was 2 years old to 7 years old. I did about 20 miles a week with her, all on grass or bark but never on the pavements.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
gobigred
First Name: Gwen

Post by gobigred »

Thanks all!

Yes on the big dogs. My husband and I have both dealt with them before. I had a grey years ago and he only ever had GSD’s. Of course, when we had to go to apartment living, we couldn’t have such dogs. Thankfully, we didn’t have those large dogs by that point. It is nearly impossible to find housing for a large dog if you don’t own.

That’s good to hear about the size thing. We are open to standards. I’m not too crazy about a mini due to my own experiences with them as a child. The ones I knew could be nippy. Standards are nearly impossible to find here, sadly. We’d be looking at a 6 hr drive to even meet a breeder and sadly that’s just too far right now. This area is rife with minis but they aren’t legitimate breeders from what I gather. Lots of “super mini” and many litters our of one bitch quickly sort of things going on. Sends up red flags for me. The rescues never have standards but do have minis but the minis always say “no children”. This is what really gives me pause on them with our youngest (we have 2 older bonus kids but they don’t live with us during the school year).
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sorry to detract from the thread... Sam do you have a third schnauzer - Molly? I missed this.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 20:32 Sorry to detract from the thread... Sam do you have a third schnauzer - Molly? I missed this.
Hi Julie,

Yes I do. She's a P&S. Born on 8 April 2003 and lives with my ex in Belfast. Apart from being deaf and a little arthritic she is still very well.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/