Spay question...

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Spay question...

Post by mikegoodson1 »

My beautiful girl Sasha (below) is going in for her spay operation on Thursday (she has had one season already), I'll be taking one or two of her toys with her to keep her company. *She will be a week short of being one years old.

I just wanted to ask about whether a baby grow type thing is better than those horrible neck collars? Also, I'm sure the vet will direct me but any things to look out for post-op?

I'll need to fit a child gate on the bottom of the stairs so she doesn't run up/down stairs and I plan to sleep downstairs with her (she has always, from her 2nd night, slept upstairs in our bedroom along with Oscar) for a few nights, to keep her company (I cannot bear to leave her on her own).

I know many of you will be raising eyebrows, I don't mind :D but we don't have children and Oscar and Sasha are our world.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Spay question...

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Mike,

Rosie wore a baby grow and was more or less back to her normal self two days after her op although we were careful to keep her tummy dry for 5 days if she was out walking in the rain.

To be honest, the wound didn't seem to bother her at all and she was happy to be out walking or with some gentle playing though I know that when Edie is spayed I'll have to be with her for a few days as she doesn't seem to know how to play calmly :)

As for sleeping with her? No raised eyebrows from me and even though I do have children I'd be doing exactly the same as you.

Don't worry about it too much Mike. She'll take it all in her stride.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Mike, we have found the dog vests (medical pet shirt / suitical) excellent for post-operations. They fit snugly which has a similar comforting effect to the dogs (at a time when they may be feeling vulnerable) as a Thundershirt and because they are specifically designed for a dog they are a better fit than trying to adapt a human garment:

https://www.dfordog.co.uk/medical-pet-shirts.html

It is difficult to limit exercise once they start feeling better though as we have found our girls recover quickly from a spay and have wanted to be doing everything they use to rather than resting. You will need to keep a close eye on her and maybe use a crate when you can't be watching her (if she is used to a crate?).

Does Sasha sleep on your bed or in a crate or bed of her own in your bedroom? If it is just a question of her not running up and down the stairs, you could carry her up and down to keep to your usual routine but, if you are worried about her jumping off your bed, maybe it would be best to stay with her downstairs ( she may want some privacy anyway immediately after the operation). Don't feel embarrassed about your dogs sleeping upstairs - I know very many people whose dogs sleep with them. We have 4 of ours on the bed, four in crates in the bedroom and the schnauzer girls have their own bedroom with sofa and a choice of other comfy beds too.

Good luck re the op. but I am sure Sasha will be fine as it is a very routine veterinary procedure and being young and fit she is sure to bounce back very soon :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Sam/Leigh,

Thanks for your messages, I think I will order one of those suits, they do look like they are better than the collar.

Sasha sleeps on the bed with us mostly but she is like a jack in the box to be honest, off the bed/on the bed/back off the bed :) so I will keep her downstairs for a bit with me. I'm sure you are right regards the op in that she will be fine but it will be horrible around the house without her for the day and I'm sure Oscar will wonder where she has got to.

Thanks
Mike
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Mike,

My vet provided me with the post op "babygrow" and it was around £8 I think. You might want to check with your vet as it will save you the trouble of sourcing one.

I hated coming back to the empty house when Rosie was having her op - it was as if the heart of the home was missing. My favourite part of the day is opening the back gate and the dogs running down to greet me. I always feel loved and appreciated.

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Well I managed to pick Sasha up from the vet around 5pm today, everything went well. She seems very groggy (as expected) and didn't want to walk out of the vets (she just would not move) so I have carried her to the car then inside and into her bed, she is resting now.

Hopefully she will perk up a little by the morning :(
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

She looks very comfy there, Mike. She'll sleep the anaesthetic off tonight and will be much livelier tomorrow. I'm amazed at how quickly Rosie picked up after her op.

Don't be afraid to spoil her a little more than usual :)

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Bless, hope she perks up soon.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Hope that Sasha is feeling better now. The anaesthetic can really knock out some little dogs but once it wears off they should be fine.

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thanks everyone. She seems to be doing a little better but she is still very quiet. She's eating and drinking a little better and wants to play a little, so we gently played. I want to get her back to normal as soon as possible whilst appreciating the enormity of the op for her and understanding how much discomfort she must be in. She seems to be letting out little whimpers now and again, hopefully she isn't in pain but I can check this Monday morning when we see the vet for a check-up.

A few pics below of my beautiful girl.

In her tent bed along with Oscar...

Wearing her neck collar :(

In her recovery suit :)

zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Love the photos of Sasha and Oscar in their tent beds :-)

A spay is a major operation even though it is a routine one for vets to perform so it can take a while for some dogs to feel fully recovered. Pain thresholds are always difficult to measure as like in humans individuals vary as to how much they "feel" pain and some may be more in need of TLC than others. We have used Arnica with our dogs post-operations as they can be a real help for pain relief and do not interfere with any other medication or cause side effects in dogs. You can get the remedy as tablets, pillules or liquid. We use the tablets and crush to a powder to tip into the mouth but you can also dissolve the tablets in drinking water if the dog is really reluctant to take a pill.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements ... ets-p-9919

http://www.denes.com/homeopathic-remedies/arnica.html

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Lovely photos Mike. I especially like the first one with Sasha in usual schnauzer style head over the side of the bed. Your living room looks like mine, flipping toys everywhere. OH has said we should limit the number of toys outside the toy box to 3. Such a spoilsport. :D
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Nice to see her up and about Mike. Love the pics too :)

How is Oscar coping? He must be wondering why she's not launching herself on him?

mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

To be honest, Oscar has really surprised me. The day Sasha was out having her op, it was like Oscar was in 7th heaven - loving being home alone and having me all to himself. Even when she came home and we were fussing around Sasha, he was sort of put out. He seems to be loving the walks on his own and having attention just focused on him, during the walk time.

I guess because he was on his own for 2 years before Sasha arrived, he is used to being alone. Where as Sasha, I am sure, would really miss not having Oscar around as she has only ever known him being here.

Hopefully when Sasha is back fighting fit, Oscar will re-adjust and be happy to have her back as normal.
Hil54
Puppy
First Name: Hilary

Post by Hil54 »

Hi, Luna was spayed on Tuesday and is still hardly moving(Thursday pm). She is eating and drinking and has done a couple of wees and several poos. However in the garden ( on a lead) she is behaving really strangely. She is running in a sort of crouched position and trying to get into bushes and scrabbling around furiously. Also going round and round in circles. Inside she is either asleep or standing staring into space. No reaction when someone comes home infact she will hardly look at us at all. Should we be worried? She has a check up tomorrow at the vets.