3 meals or 2?

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
DebS
First Name: Debbie

3 meals or 2?

Post by DebS »

Wilma is almost 6 months old now. We’ve been feeding her Lily’s Kitchen dry food with some chicken mixed in. She’s on 3 meals a day but is getting increasingly picky. I.e. just picks out the chicken! Any advice? Also at shat point should we put her on 2 meals a day?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: 3 meals or 2?

Post by zeta1454 »

You can move to two meals a day any time from now if Wilma is getting reluctant to eat. You will probably have to increase each of the meals she has to make up to the same amount if that is still appropriate. Sometimes as puppies mature their appetite naturally decreases and if they are offered too large a meal or just too much overall they can start to refuse food altogether. I would check that her intake of food (including any treats) is appropriate for her age and her weight and that she is growing well and then adjust the meals accordingly.

Puppies can also become picky with food when they are teething so that is another factor to bear in mind.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I think I cut Oscar then Sasha's meals down to 2 per day (from 3) at around 6 months old. As Leigh said, you are still using the same overall portion but divided by 2 rather than 3.

Saying that (and again backing up another of Leigh's points), the overall daily portion size would be driven by weight of your Schnauzer and whether you want to level off their weight gain or keep it going :)
DebS
First Name: Debbie

Post by DebS »

Thanks both, that’s really helpful! We’ll check her weight today to make sure we’ve got the portion size right and we’ll try 2 meals then.
Thanks again!