Rosie and Edie go on RAW

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Rosie and Edie go on RAW

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Leigh. My order is placed with delivery in the new year. I am trying the Chicken, Turkey, Beef with Tripe and Rabbit with Venison. The beef will be interesting because both my schnauzers have found cooked beef meals too rich and itched afterwards. I wonder if it is the same with raw beef??

I am confused about the qty though. At the moment Otto is on a fresh lightly cooked mince with veg and has 400g/day and is a good size at 8.5kg. The guidelines for raw say 2-3% of bodyweight and that would mean a max of 250g/day. That seems a really big reduction. I am a bit worried the poor lad will be starving. :-s ??

Sam, do you think you will keep Rosie on the YuDigest?
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 13:29 Sam, do you think you will keep Rosie on the YuDigest?
Hi Julie,

For the foreseeable future, yes. ( I just had a box of 300 delivered) :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Julie, re the beef, you may find the same problem with raw as cooked where the itching is concerned but just monitor if they do have an issue and, if so, try to avoid beef meals. Paleo Ridge have started offering more lamb tripe based meals due to issues people have found their dogs to have with beef so it must be quite a common problem.

The quantity will also need you to see how they manage on the 2-3% which is fairly reliable as an estimate and I would be surprised if Otto would need as much as 400g of raw. I would start him on the 200-250g amount and see if he does lose any weight or condition before deciding whether to increase the quantity. He may find the raw meals more filling than cooked anyway (?) but just see how it goes. Ours spend ages licking their bowls clean after meals and would no doubt eat more but they are just fine weight-wise on the quantity and, if any of them do start to look as though they are needing more weight on (having more exercise for example in summer can have an impact on their bodyweight) I just increase the amount to a level which keeps them fit and healthy.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks for that Leigh. I will feed in the range that is recommended and watch and weight. =))
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Edie is still on the raw food for puppies and absolutely loves it. I started Rosie on the turkey and have since added chicken and duck as protein sources. My intentions are to concentrate on chicken and turkey as they have the lowest fat but will break it up with lamb, duck, beef and rabbit to add some variety. Although they both love fish, I'll pass on the salmon as all reports are that it's sloppy and unattactive as a fashion statement when worn as an accessory in the beard.

They have started a funny little ritual since going on the raw food. Both bowls are put down at the same time and Edie immediately dives in to hers. Rosie has a sniff at hers and then watches Edie eat hers. Once she's finished Rosie then eats hers while Edie watches then as soon as Rosie finishes, they swap bowls and polish them up. They do this every time and oddly, neither dog encroaches on the other.
Last edited by Schnauzer Sam on 27 Dec 2018, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Nice to hear things are going well. They both sound wonderfully respectful of each other when feeding, loving the image of them switching food bowls, I bet the other's always tastes better I know that's what happens whenever me and the OH go out. =)) Edie sounds like Otto, he will eat anything, it doesn't touch the sides and he always acts like he hasn't eaten in weeks. I forgot to put his YuDigest in his food this morning so just popped it on his mat afterwards and he snaffled it down without hesitation Otto's food is lightly cooked and I am assuming there will be less of a smell with raw (except with the tripe :ymsick: ) but I am not sure he bothers smelling it. I am eagerly awaiting our first frozen delivery. One of the varieties, I think the rabbit and venison, has no bone in it so if he takes to that at least one day a week will have no bone. I have also been reading through the BARF section on the forum, very interesting threads. I wonder whether he will get constipated but I am thinking that a bit of apple on a regular basis will sort that if it is a problem as it tends to make him looser. Anyway, I really hope he settles to it as I am sure that a 17 month old schnauzer shouldn't need a digestive supplement if fed on the right food.

I can't remember whether you said that you fed any raw bones like wings etc.?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Great to hear how well Rosie and Edie are doing :-)
I can't imagine any of ours waiting for the others to finish eating before tucking in!

Julie - I agree with you that digestive supplements on a regular basis shouldn't be needed if a dog is having a good diet. Raw tripe contains a range of probiotics naturally as well as other nutrients. There is more information on this link (luckily we can buy ready prepared tripe so no need to chop up a whole one):

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/t ... -on-tripe/

If you do feed raw bones in addition to the prepared meals it will add to the bone ratio per day so you may need to adjust for that. We mainly give the lamb spines and similar bones to teething puppies rather than the adult dogs. This is partly because with bones / necks / wings the dogs become very possessive and to avoid any stress or conflict we have to make sure each dog has their own crate / space to eat in peace and clean up afterwards so quite time consuming with eleven of them...and also they do already have bone in their meals.

Poultry necks (chicken, duck, turkey) are a softer bone if you are concerned about the sharp shards from spines, and trachea is a good raw chew too. We have to be selective here about which dog gets which kind of raw treat as Magic once swallowed a chicken wing whole in her excitement and, although she was none the worse for it, it was scary and also of no benefit to her teeth! She now gets a larger neck or trachea to chew and is carefully monitored. The affens are much less likely to try and swallow anything whole so they are fine with a wing.

Look forward to following your progress :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks very helpful Leigh.

Well we've off.... Otto has had a spoonful of the raw chicken variety with his usual food. I shouldn't have worried about the lack of smell. I couldn't smell much at all but he clearly did and he loved it. Think I may have part wolf part schnauzer by the look on his face :D Fingers crossed for no tummy trouble.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 17:56 Thanks very helpful Leigh.

Well we've off.... Otto has had a spoonful of the raw chicken variety with his usual food. I shouldn't have worried about the lack of smell. I couldn't smell much at all but he clearly did and he loved it. Think I may have part wolf part schnauzer by the look on his face :D Fingers crossed for no tummy trouble.
Are you planning on moving him across slowly Julie or will you try a full meal tomorrow?

I haven't given them any extras yet Julie. My plan is to give then a lamb rib once or twice a week but I'm not sure about the delicacies Leigh offers up :ymsick:

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I will decide in the morning Sam, if he has no ill effects then I will probably just transition fully tomorrow. If there is any deterioration from normal then I will go slowly.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Very happy with this morning's results so today we had a weigh in and he had his first full raw meal \:D/ . I am starting him off on 250g/day which is 3%. The food is a lot more dense than his previous food and it does look like the right amount for him.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Looking forward to hearing how he got on.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Do you let the food get to room temperature? I am getting confused by googling this. Currently I get the defrosted food out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature for 1-1.5 hours whilst I am walking the dog in the morning. Just read an article about pathogens multiplying that has sent me in a tizzy.... :( I really must stop browsing the internet and watch Love Actually for the 500th time !!
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 21:20 Do you let the food get to room temperature? I am getting confused by googling this. Currently I get the defrosted food out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature for 1-1.5 hours whilst I am walking the dog in the morning. Just read an article about pathogens multiplying that has sent me in a tizzy.... :( I really must stop browsing the internet and watch Love Actually for the 500th time !!
Hi Julie,

I thaw mine overnight on the worktop then pop the rest into the fridge for their evening meal. I've found this more convenient than trying to thaw it out in the fridge as 500g of frozen meat takes a bit longer than overnight.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, do you feed direct from fridge in the evening or do you let it get to room temperature?