Aggression towards his cage

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Jane English
First Name: Jane

Aggression towards his cage

Post by Jane English »

My 18 week giant has recently become aggressive towards his cage, but not all the time. He barks, growls and bites, particularly at the door but he will go inside and he is also happy to sleep in it at night.
We have tried another cage and it is exactly the same. Barking and growling, particularly at the door but will go inside and bark!
We are first GS owners to any suggestions very gratefully received 😀. Many thanks.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Aggression towards his cage

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Jane, sounds like he is showing his frustration with the cage and the door being shut. Is he doing it when he is full of energy, tired or over tired, might be worth thinking about. I would just keep using desensitisation approaches. Treating in the cage, on the cage door, making it as nice as possible. I say this owning a mini so not much damage for a mini to do with a cage. It sounds like something he will grow out of but I have never had a GS. Welcome to the forum by the way....
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Jane English
First Name: Jane

Post by Jane English »

Thanks Oscar 12335. It happens when he is full of beans. Quite happy to go in when he is tired and overnight to sleep. I hoe you’re right and he just grows out of it!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Jane, I am very envious of you having a GS. I love them but they are too large for me, I need something I can pick up and remove from any trouble. Hopefully you have got lots of different ways and ideas to keep your magnificent beast entertained and therefore stave off his boredom which can get him into trouble otherwise he might be growling at more than the cage 😀 Would love to see a photo of... what's his name? ...when you have a moment ...
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.