Mini schnauzer puppy weight

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Kirbyclip
First Name: Kerry

Mini schnauzer puppy weight

Post by Kirbyclip »

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and been looking through some of the discussions on puppy weight. My Rosie got weighed last week at 18 weeks and is 3.4kg. is that on the small side?? Just after seeing people saying their dogs were 7kg etc at her age.

She's happy and seems healthy so not worrying too much but wanted to compare ๐Ÿ˜Š
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Mini schnauzer puppy weight

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Kerry and welcome to the Forum :-)

Miniature schnauzers do seem to vary a great deal in weight depending on their parentage. I would expect a miniature schnauzer adult bitch to be no more than 7-8 kg. One of our adult mini girls is slightly small in height at 32cm rather than 33 cm to the withers (shoulder area) and she is around 6.5 kg. The UK breed standard guidelines for ideal height are 36cm to the withers for a male and 33cm for a bitch. Weight will be in accordance with height so a much taller dog / puppy will be likely to weigh more than a smaller dog.

Do not worry if Rosie is fit and well - her weight seems fine to me for a puppy of that age.
I would not expect her to be a small mini from that weight now. You should have a good idea of her likely adult size from those of her parents but it is not always certain. Health and vitality are more important than size though as you say. Do post a photo too - we all like to see puppy pictures :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Kerry,

Leigh's advice is spot on, I would just offer my own observation. I go on a few organised Schnauzer walks and it never ceases to amaze me how different the shapes and sizes are of mini-Schnauzers. Some are tiny little things, some are more chunky, some are tall some are shorter so don't worry too much how about Rosie.

As long as she is happy, well exercised, played with and loved, she is fine :D

Mike
Kirbyclip
First Name: Kerry

Post by Kirbyclip »

Thank you for replying ๐Ÿ˜Š
I don't mind if she ends quite little but panicked a bit when I seen the weight of others.
The vet wasn't bothered by her weight and did say she's a dainty wee thing.
I'm just more excited about her getting passed the teething stage, wee nipper defo has sharp teeth, lost her first two today tho ๐Ÿ˜€x
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

What a lovely looking puppy :)
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Kerry welcome to the forum to you & Rosie, she is a lovely puppy. You have made a good choice having a Mini Schnauzer as they are super little dogs. They give so much & make you laugh every day, don't worry they grow so fast so she will soon be over the nipping stage, plenty toys to play with.

I have Gino who will be 21 months in two weeks, he's grown so fast, he's our second we had Suzi before him, but when we lost her we just had to have another to fill the huge gap that she left. He's definitely not a replacement but sure easing the pain. At 19 wks he weighed 5.5kgs but now weighs 7.3 also weighed the same this time last year. our Suzi was 8.5kgs for years
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to you and Rosie. I have a Rosie too - she's now 18 months old and also an Edie and she is 7 months old. They really are the perfect dog and I love the pleasure and laughter they bring me (thay've also taught me patience :) )
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/