Sorry if TMI...

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Sorry if TMI...

Post by Oscar 12345 »

My Otto and previous boy Oscar both became an additional Dyson attachment that I couldn't find any instructions for in the manual :) I also have one of those cordless ones and Otto is fine with it until I lift it off the ground and it suddenly becomes a monster.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Monty is six months old on the 22nd June and doing very well. However, since Sunday he has been having odd poops. I wouldn't quite class it as diarrhea. It is less in volume, but very soft (not watery). It also has a yellowy (not bright yellow, maybe much much lighter brown) and a mucusy consistency. He is eating the same food and you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him (which is the only reason we haven't taken him to the vets yet). He has his 6 month vet check up on Friday. He's also straining post-poop and nothing is coming out. The odd poop has been very thin and string like. Sorry for the poop chat but I know people on here are very tolerant of all sorts of descriptions! He's also waking in the night for a poop.

He's playful, boistrous, loving his walks and energetic.

I did give him a Nature's Menu chicken wing on Thursday to try (three days before the said pooping issues began). I know Monty has a delicate tummy, but I thought a wing would be ok, and it'd be good for him to have a bone to chew. He adored it, although I do regret it now I think. We are at Tuesday now. I wondered if it could be the fat on the chicken wing that might have been a little rich, or simply whether he's eaten something dodgy on a walk yet again. We did a worm count which came back negative last Friday so I don't think worms are the issue. This is all coupled with staining on his beard and around his eyes seemingly overnight from his saliva and new found lciking habit. At the moment he is busy chewing his donkey toy at my feet probably wondering why on Earth I am so worried!
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Emma

So Oscar had a similar 'production issue' when he was around 8 months old that was completely down to a stupid owner (me). I decided to change his food in one fail swoop, rather than slowly transitioning him over! It was obviously too much for his tummy, I learned from my mistake and slowly made the change, his poo went back to normal. Anyway, my point being that maybe it was the chicken wing that caused the issue, either a little too fatty or rich for his tum to process.

If it was though, I would have expected the change in output :) to have occurred shortly after eating the wing, not three days later.

Alternatively, like you said, it could easily be something picked up and eaten from the garden.

When Oscar has had a bad tummy in the past, our vets suggested using the Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal wet food, which is apparently quite plain, so we have tins of this in the cupboard for just that event: https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/royal-ca ... g-can.html

Could be worth a try just until his poo returns to normal?
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi Mike

Thank you. Monty is a delicate little soldier. I should've known better with the chicken wing I think. Even if it isn't this, I'm not sure I'll give him another one. He's pretty good with letting me brush his teeth every other day - not sure how well I do it but I am sure the vet will tell me on Friday. Might leave dental chews altogether if they don't agree with him, bones or otherwise.

Monty is getting better on walks and in the garden with picking stuff up and munching on it. I tend to pick my battles and let the leaves in the garden go, but when I see him lunging for an old cigarette butt in the park I do end up fishing it out of his mouth.

Hopefully the poop will get back to normal soon. He's only been for a number 2 once today (after brekkie on our walk) and it was a little yellow and very very soft. :(

Will be getting some of the wet food you mentioned too just in case poop stays the same and doesn't improve.
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

This morning started well... Went outside in the garden at 7.30 for his usual first poop of the day. Very soft but a good and normal colour. Then we went for his walk at 9 after brekkie. Next poop was lots of straining and a few drops of clear fluid then a couple of drops of liquid poop.

I think we will be heading to the vets for more than just a checkup. Appointment on Friday at 9am to hopefully sort him out. He's still full of beans, eating and drinking which is good.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I think that's a good call Emma - the main thing is that he is 'full of beans' but it will not do any harm getting him checked, just in case.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Emma,

You might give some consideration to giving him one Yudigest every day. It's a tablet packed full with probiotic goodies that will help to keep his gut healthy. When Rosie was fed with dry/wet food the addition of this pill helped greatly. Now both girls are on Raw and we get one messy poo every month or so, usually caused by a family member sneaking them something from the table :(

They are available direct from Lintbell the manufacturer but they also sell them through Amazon UK where they are more attractively priced.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Thanks Sam. I'll ask the vet on Friday about the Yudigest when he gets checked out. He's just had a zoomie and is now crashed out at my feet after his post-lunch walk and a play with his donkey toy. Typical Monty. His soft poops don't seem to affect him at all!
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

We were up in the night with him every two hours to do tiny mucusy poops outside with lots of straining. The last one had the tiniest bit of blood in it.

This morning we gave him very over cooked and mushy rice on suggestion of the vet but he threw it straight back up. I think he's starving but we head to the vet at midday today. Again, he's none the wiser seemingly, although he is whining a little now when he strains. Really hoping Monty can get back to normal soon.
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

After a trip to the vets, colitis has been diagnosed. The vet was lovely and very thorough.

We have some Prokolin Advance to give Monty and an antacid treatment as his tummy felt tender. The vet also gave him an antibiotic. Took a poop sample and giardia was tested for. This was negative. And his temperature was in the normal range.

Our main concern was him eating today. This morning was the only time he hasn't kept his brekkie down. We have some Pro Plan veterinary gastro wet food that the vet recommended. We will see how this goes. We are going for small portions more regularly throughout the day. He's still ravenous and food motivated which is really good. But he has such a fragile stomach, I'm keeping everything crossed that is stays down!

Does anyone have any idea how long the Prokolin takes to work?

We've been told to give it three days to see an improvement and if not to go back. We are hoping this fixes him though. He's got no energy today and is sleeping a lot - probably more lack of food rather than colitis I think.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Emma, sorry to hear that Monty has colitis which is caused by inflamed intestines which is caused by diet and feeding when the intestines are already inflamed. I know that condition very well having to manage that with Oscar for years and it was awful, wouldn't wish it on any one. Tried everything except a non processed raw diet. Such a young dog should not get colitis. Knowing what I know now Emma I would encourage you to consider a raw diet for little Monty or if not then another food because managing colitis is no fun for the owner or the dog. Good luck with it Emma and I hope Monty is back to eating properly soon.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Thanks Julie.

In himself, he is as bright as a button and playing and hungry! He was a little quiet this morning because of the lack of food I think, but is perking up now. He has had one dose of the Prokolin, so one more left today - he has done one poop since his first dose and it is still soft and mucus laden. I am not expecting it to work after only one dose - I am just his examining his poop with a metaphorical magnifying glass every time he goes to see if there is any signs of improvement. At least there were no whines of discomfort this time, although he was still over-straining.

Will see how this wet food goes. I looked at the ingredients of the Pro Plan Gastro and it's anything but ideal; however if it settles him I'll take it for now. The vet also mentioned a probiotic in the future once settled to try and maintain his digestive health. She also recommended a low fat diet, again once he's settled. Will be doing more research into food including RAW.

I've sat with Monty all morning either with him snoozing on my leg, playing with his donkey toy or playing hide the ball. At the moment he is chewing his favourite rope toy and being as gorgeous as ever.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Emma,

As previously mentioned, Rosie used to suffer badly with runny poo and I was forever getting Prokolin and antibiotics from the vet to settle her gut. The Prokolin used to firm things up after 2 or 3 doses but I always felt that I could be doing better for her than giving her clay to bind things up. The other issue is that the antibiotics take out all the bacteria from the gut - good and bad - and so the Prokolin that also contains a probiotic to re-establish the good flora gets wiped out each time he has the antibiotic.

You're facing the same scenario that I had with Rosie. Every 2-3 weeks I was at the vet getting Prokolin and antibiotics and having the difficulty of trying to pick up a liquid from the pavement in a poo bag - never a good look when the world's passing by :)

After going through many cycles of vet visits I made the decision to try Rosie on Nutriment - a complete Raw food that just requires defrosting and weighing out. Rosie (and my second mini Edie) have now been raw fed for 6 months and I have 2 or 3 loose poos between them in the whole 6 months.

I don't want to sound like an evangelist but this really was a life changing moment for Rosie and in the six months since going on the Raw we've been to the vet once and that was because Edie got stung by a bee. I really can't recommend it enough if you have a dog with a sensitive tummy.

GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi Sam

Your first hand experience of this really interests me (and Monty!) And your description of the liquid poop on the pavement resonates, sadly.

Did Rosie get diagnosed with colitis? Certainly sounds similar to Monty's issues. Once he's back on an even keel, I think we will definitely be changing his diet slowly once again. Second dose of Prokolin is later on today. Fingers crossed it starts taking effect soon and we can consider his future eating plan.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I may be sending you a PM tomorrow :)
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Emma,

Colitis is a catch-all for inflammation of the colon, however caused. There are many ways that the problem can be caused but one of the ways that's common is feeding a dog a diet that's biologically inappropriate.

Some dogs seem less tolerant of carbohydrates in the diet than others and I know that Rosie just wasn't doing well on kibble or canned food. The kibble caused her tummy trouble and the wet food wasn't appealing to her for more than one or two meals and then she'd turn her nose up at it. So I started to cook for her instead. I got frozen lamb mince and beef mince (as low a fat content as possible) and added vegetables but I was always worried about how much to give her and nutritional content.

Someone on this forum, suggested I try a raw diet for Rosie and when I discovered that a local couple in Guernsey were bulk importers of Nutriment, I thought I'd give it a go. They actually gave me free samples to try and two days later I went back and bought another few days worth and so on until I was confident that Rosie would continue to eat it.

You can read about our journey here >>>>> viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23982

I can recommend this too for some background reading >>>>>>http://www.rawfeedingrebels.com/raw-fee ... ter-guide/ and this https://dogsfirst.ie/

Finally, I want to say that I'm not knocking anyone who doesn't feed their dog raw nor am I suggesting they aren't doing what's best for their dog. I know that all of us here are devoted slaves to their schnauzer masters and want nothing but the best for them but if, due to some sensitivity, a particular dog has problems with a certain type of food then I think, like you, we would consider the alternatives.

I'm more than happy to give any support to you and Monty that I can.