Neutering 2-yr-old mini

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
fieryhotaru
First Name: Hotaru
Dog #1: Spock
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 18 Mar 2017

Neutering 2-yr-old mini

Post by fieryhotaru »

So, my vet is having a sale on neutering procedures in April and my family is discussing if we should neuter him or not. I'm worried that his personality might change. He's a very active (almost) two-year-old, very athletic and likes to wrestle, and I'm worried that could go away if we chop him. He doesn't roam, hump, or mark his territory (he used to mark but stopped around 5 months old). He's brimming with health, and I'm worried this procedure will change everything. Can anybody weigh in?

Oh, by the way, we're taking him with us on vacation down the shore in June. Relatively short drive (45 minutes to an hour) and we'll be staying at a shore house that allows pets. Will neutering him two months before vacation be alright?

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Neutering 2-yr-old mini

Post by Oscar 12345 »

This is of course a personal choice but here is my view and what I would do. From what you have described you haven't identified any good reason to have him neutered. Good reasons like for health purposes if there is something wrong medically or if there is poor behaviour that is associated with testosterone levels and that will be cured by removing testosterone. Neutering him could alter some aspects of his character, his coat and his metabolism particularly wrt putting on weight. So if it ain't broke don't fix it in this situation imo. :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I would not be persuaded to have surgery or any procedure carried out on one of our dogs simply because the vets are promoting them or putting on pressure to sell them to you. The decision should always come from a considered assessment of why your dog needs the surgery or procedure and, if there is no pressing reason from your perspective, I would not go ahead.

There is a Forum discussion topic on neutering on this link which may be worth looking at:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=24025&p=301080&hil ... ng#p301080

If you do decide to have him castrated, he should have recovered from the actual surgery by the time of your vacation, assuming a straightforward op with no complications (which it should be) and that Spock doesn't react negatively (temperamentally) to the sudden reduction in circulating hormones.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

My boy Gino will be 2yrs old on the 9th May 2019. He has been neutered it was done when he had to have a puppy tooth removed. He started to show signs of Marking when he was around 6/7 months so as the puppy tooth had to be removed Vet said it could be done at the same time so we decided it would be done.

Gino is none the worse, he was fine 24 hours later neither up nor down in fact he is the most loving wee boy, he hasn't changed at all in any way. He doesn't mark now. He is very laid back & a joy to have.. We got him to ease my pain when I lost my precious girl.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

My boy Oscar was neutered at 6 months old, that was my decision based on my own research and not because I was prompted/swayed etc by our vet. My advice to you is ask yourself why you are considering this.

You say that Spock is happy, content, doesn't mark or hump so why are you considering it?

Seems like he is all good as he is :)
fieryhotaru
First Name: Hotaru
Dog #1: Spock
Born: 18 Mar 2017

Post by fieryhotaru »

Thank you, everyone. I've decided not to get Spock neutered thanks to your advice.