Poor Daisy - feel horrible

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Re: Poor Daisy - feel horrible

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Well we saw a levelling off on the recovery front leaving daisy mobile but wobbly and with a slight head tilt.

That was until today when she’s worsened and her head is literally on it’s side all the time and she’s falling over.

Bless her she’s fighting but I think she’s losing.

Vets suggest no further action due to her age other than the steroids and caring for her at this stage as any diagnosis will likely involve more risky action such as anaesthetic which she might not survive so we’re just waiting to see if she does manage it or whether things get worse and force a decision for her sake.

I feel so sad for her but I do think she’s done really well for the last four years we’ve had her as when she came to us she wasn’t well and we didn’t expect her to make more than two more years.
Gary
Al T

Post by Al T »

Hope she improves Gary, really do...welling up here...you've been a saint to Daisy.
You never know; resilient these mini's; fingers crossed for you.
Bit like us with Norman; never expected him to be still going strong 5+ years after his illness!
Sincerest regards
Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Gary, that's sad to hear. Hope it is a case of good day bad day and that she picks up again. Must be awful for you to see her that way. Fingers and paws crossed here that she improves. :ymhug: :ymhug:
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
GaryThomlinson

Post by GaryThomlinson »

I became concerned and took her to the Vet again yesterday. We continued to explore the issue and are attempting a round of specific antibiotics for a week in case it’s an interal infection we can’t detect and have started the steroids back up (which I hate). Theyre also working on some specific supplements that are shown to rebuild the nerves around the ganglia and vestibular system. We’re doing all we can bar spending thousands on scans that might not tell us anything or will tell us something we can’t fix anyhow.
Gary
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

So sorry to read about little Daisy, she sure has been a fighter, you are doing your very best for her and making her as comfortable as possible, lets hope the antibiotics and steroids help her, sending lots of positive thoughts your way
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Gary, you have nothing to lose by trying something different... really hope it works for Daisy. Thinking of you :ymhug:
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Gary you are doing your best for Daisy thinking about you all , sending positive thoughts x
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
GaryThomlinson

Post by GaryThomlinson »

So not a great night, she woke us around 4am gurgling and coughing and finally being sick. This is either the antibiotics or nausea from the vestibular issues. She’s on the sofa wrapped up with me at her side now having been sick again and not holding down meds or food.

Dreadful.
Gary
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I know exactly what you're going through and it awful.

Barney was given a anti nausea injection to make him feel better. It certainly stopped it. Could Daisy have this ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
GaryThomlinson

Post by GaryThomlinson »

If it continues I’m back to the vet again for sure.
Gary
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It is heartbreaking to watch a dog that you love in distress and suffering.

Sometimes however hard it is to face, if there is no realistic possibility of recovery, the time comes when we have to consider letting a loved one pass in dignity and with those she loves around her.

I have faced this dreadful decision many times and it never becomes easier but quality of life - enjoying food, play, free exercise etc. are the simplest and significant pleasures in life for a dog and once these are no longer being enjoyed, they are just clinging to life and not really living.

One of our cats (21 years old) was maintained on antibiotics for infection for a few weeks but the vet explained that she was just being kept going on these and was never likely to recover; our 14 year old mini schnauzer, a decade ago, became suddenly unwell and after a few days she started gurgling and coughing at night. The vet who examined her confirmed that her lungs were filing with fluid and, given her age and her sudden difficulty with eating, explained that the lung condition confirmed she was seriously ill with no prospect of recovery. It broke my heart to go through with euthanasia but her suffering was evident and she passed so peacefully.

You will know yourself how things are with Daisy (she may not be as ill as our pets were of course ) and whether she does have quality of life and a good chance of enjoying her food and exercise as usual in the near future but, even if she does pick up suddenly and you have your lively, happy girl back, do think through how you will deal with the decision when it does come. Our first loss came as a terrible shock and we had not really planned for it but, having gone through that we were more prepared when our next dog passed and it can make things just a little less traumatic for you and for the one you have loved and cared for over the years.

Take care and sending hugs to Daisy.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
GaryThomlinson

Post by GaryThomlinson »

That’s a very thoughtful response, thank you.

The decision of course is how will I really be sure it’s time and did I make a decision too early.

If only they could express themselves...
Gary
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

GaryThomlinson wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 13:13 That’s a very thoughtful response, thank you.

The decision of course is how will I really be sure it’s time and did I make a decision too early.

If only they could express themselves...
I really do feel for you in this situation, Gary, and hope that you have a good vet that you can trust to give you an honest professional assessment of Daisy's condition. It is so hard to be objective when you are considering this for someone you love. I would say that we were lucky in the past to have a vet that was able to talk through things with a professional and objective eye to our pets' welfare. I don't think it is easy for doctors or vets to have to acknowledge when there really is nothing more that can be done to heal or recover an ailing individual but when you are facing a heart rending situation you need someone with professional knowledge to help you make a decision, whether to continue treatment or not.

I would say with all our older pets that, in hindsight, there were none where I felt we let them go too soon and, with a few, we perhaps waited a little longer than we should have done. A vet's advice can help in making the right decision but sometimes we are just left with trying to sense that they are ready to go. As you say, if only our pets could tell us.....
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
GaryThomlinson

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Another rattling gurgling nights sleep coughing up fluid so looks like we have a chest infection too now.

Back to the vets....
Gary
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Hi Gary, just been reading your post about Daisy and as Leigh says, be guided by your gut instinct and your vet, I had to make the awful decision to have our Boxer put to sleep, and maybe it was a couple days to soon, but, on the advice of our vet and taking into account his problems, we agreed that to let him go on and risk a huge "fit", we both felt it was the kindest decision to make. I was able to take him for his last walk, with my eldest son at his side,( he was his most favourite person), he enjoyed his favourite breakfast, and when the arranged time came, the vet arrived, I was sitting on the sofa with his head resting on my knee, he was looking up into my eyes and I knew I had made the right decision. It was lovely and peaceful, I had scented candles lit, it was as perfect as it could be due to the circumstance. He went very quickly but with no stress or agitation, and when I have to make that awful decision again, I would do it that way. All our other dogs have had to be PTS as an emergency, which is so stressful to both yourself and the dog. My heart goes out to you, but you will know in your heart when the time is right. My heart goes out to you all.