Rosie and Edie go on RAW

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Rosie and Edie go on RAW

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Sam, re the quantity of food, certainly I do adjust the amounts for individual dogs if their activity levels go up or if, for any reason, they seem to be losing or not maintaining their ideal weight. I must admit that we do not actually weigh our dogs that often but just go on how they look and how their body condition feels. If I can't feel their ribs or they are getting a bit portly then I would reduce or, if they seem a bit skinny, increase. If you know that your girls will be extra active in the summer months then do give them a bit more. The percentages are a rough guide so don't worry if you are feeding outside the suggested range if Rosie and Edie are looking good on it :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Leigh, very helpful thanks. His raw food company do a plain beef tripe chunk which I could mince in the event he was ill, I will ensure there is always one in the freezer. Hope your dogs are over the nasties... can't imagine what that must be like with the number of dogs you have. All I can say is that you must be incredibly alert to who did what, when and where. :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Julie - all fit and well now thank goodness. It was tiring as I had a couple of sleepless nights up and down with them needing to go outside but luckily not all the dogs were affected. The two that were the worst were the ones that eat grass when we are out and about and may have ingested the bug. Strangely our eldest dog at over 11 years of age and our ten month old puppy both remained well when they might have been thought to be the most vulnerable to catching something like this.

I wanted to add that it is important to make sure that dogs with diarrhoea/ vomiting don't become dehydrated as that is the main cause of them becoming really ill. If they are reluctant to drink water, I offer either slightly watered down plain yogurt and water in which I have boiled a chicken carcass or chicken bones (strained and cooled). The added flavour can sometimes do the trick and encourage them to drink :-)

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Very helpful again thanks Leigh. When Otto had HGE he couldn't even keep water down. Good to know that watered down yoghurt is an option to try.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Rosie and Edie have been on Nutriment raw food now for 4 weeks and I have no concerns at all. I've tried chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and duck and all of them have been polished off without any encouragement being necessary.

I'll probably avoid the duck except as a treat on occasion as it has a higher fat content than the others.

Rosie's on 2.5% and Edie's on 3% and in the month she's been on raw has put on 300g and now weighs in at 8.7kg. She's still a skinny wee thing though so I'm not concerned at the weight gain as at 7 months she's still quite a bit of filling out to do.

The added bonus of the past 4 weeks is that the poo's have been a delight to pick up (if there can really be such a thing) :))
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Great news :-)

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I last weighed the girls in early Jan and on passing the vets yesterday I popped in to weigh them. Edie has put on 500g, now weighs in at 9.2kg and no longer has a skinny, gangly appearance. Her chest has deepened and shoulders broadened and I'd say is more or less fully developed. She has a very obvious waist and is beautifully lean.

Rosie who was 9.8 kg weighed in at 10.3 kg!! She has always been of a different shape to Edie but I was surprised at the increase in such a short time. I do need her to slim down a little as her waist is less obvious to see.

Obviously 2.5% is proving too much. Do I simply reduce it to say 2.25% and see if she starts too lose weight or should I drop it to 2%?
Last edited by Schnauzer Sam on 11 Feb 2019, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Sam - it sounds as though Edie is maturing beautifully and great to know both girls are doing well on the Nutriment.
Re Rosie - probably drop back to 2.25% and see if that makes a difference before going to 2% although you may need to adjust hers down a fair bit compared to Edie who will be using a lot more energy now just due to maturing physically. Also if Rosie is spayed (?) she may need less anyway. We found that Magic definitely needed a reduction in her meals post spay, although Trilby and Pip have not, so it is not a certainty but is worth bearing in mind.

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Thanks Leigh. When I weigh the food out, the difference is 12.5g each meal. It looks so insignificant!. I guess it's the same effect though as an extra Jaffa cake each day :))

mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Oh, I would have to take that extra jaffa cake each day :D
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I've taken Rosie down to 2% a day and she's still hiding her waistline :) Next step is 1.75% ! She was spayed though and perhaps has a lower metabolic rate as a consequence.

Edie, I think, has finished growing and is currently on 2.5% - she's going to be moved down to 2.25% and see how that goes as I don't want her to lose her waistline.

Incidently, so I can't be accused of not practising what I preach I thought I should lead by example and in the past two months have been moderating my eating too. I've been much more successful than Rosie - her weight is still the same, I have lost 30 pounds!! Obviously the Nutriment doesn't agree with me =))

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, Otto is on 3.5% and has not put any weight on. He still looks and feels lean. He has a lunch of some sort of fish - mackerel, sardines or salmon or a raw chicken wing on top of that and then he also has training treats. I will obviously have to monitor carefully over next few weeks because of the suprelorin. Just shows how different the metabolisms are and the percentages are just a general guide.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

An update on Otto being fed raw. I think I have seen a couple of unforeseen benefits - could be purely co-incidental but .... Otto had issues with his eye lashes scratching his eyes when he was very little, some drops and massaging the eye meant that as he grew the problem disappeared. However until the last 2/3 months he often had a redness on the white of his eye which would you would see when he looked from side to side but disappear the next day. He has not had that since about February. It was almost like some kind of allergic reaction, no scratching, no apparent soreness... any way gone now. The other thing is that I used to be able to smell any build up of grease/wax in Otto's ears. I have not used anything in his ears since Christmas and the smell has completely gone. There is no wax build up at all. I would be interested in anyone's view on whether they think this is related to the new diet.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 12:01 An update on Otto being fed raw. I think I have seen a couple of unforeseen benefits - could be purely co-incidental but .... Otto had issues with his eye lashes scratching his eyes when he was very little, some drops and massaging the eye meant that as he grew the problem disappeared. However until the last 2/3 months he often had a redness on the white of his eye which would you would see when he looked from side to side but disappear the next day. He has not had that since about February. It was almost like some kind of allergic reaction, no scratching, no apparent soreness... any way gone now. The other thing is that I used to be able to smell any build up of grease/wax in Otto's ears. I have not used anything in his ears since Christmas and the smell has completely gone. There is no wax build up at all. I would be interested in anyone's view on whether they think this is related to the new diet.
Good news re the eye and ear issues!

A number of minor conditions in dogs (and people) are often related to diet either from a lack of essential nutrients, inability to absorb them from the particular food, or sensitivity to an ingredient or just to the source of that ingredient (meat from poor quality sources such as intensively raised animals, e.g. cows or lamb fed a grain rich or similar inappropriate diet rather than grass-fed and treated with regular antibiotics etc.)

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/s ... fed-meats/

As a result a simpler good quality raw meat diet can naturally eliminate some of these without other medication or treatment :)

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Well it certainly is an expected benefit of going raw. Thanks Leigh.