Bikes and dog baskets??

Found a nice dog coat? Found a cozy pub that's Schnauzer friendly or even a Schnauzer friendly B&B. Feel free to share it here. Basically anything that we would want to buy for our Schnauzer goes here.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Bikes and dog baskets??

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Every now and again I do come up with some ideas that I think might be good.... garage and storage room is full of hardly used products and provides evidence of this. Have recently found myself thinking that it would be a good idea to get a bike with a doggy basket on the front so that Otto and I can go for a ride on quiet roads. Be honest now, what do you think? Good idea or silly idea, not mentioned to OH yet as I know what his answer will be. =))

PS not been on a bike for 20 years :-\
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Bikes and dog baskets??

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Sounds like it would be a fun thing to try. If you do go ahead - you must post some pics or video.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

It looks like I have exceeded all expectations. OH thinks it is the daftest idea I have had to-date =))
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

OH wanted to do that with Barney but he was too big for the bike baskets. Yes specific ones do exist for dogs. I think you'd best get a bike first see how you like it :D

If you live in Lincolnshire brilliant idea anywhere else has hills not good =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I had an image come in to my mind about this today Julie. It was of you free wheeling down the country lanes, with Otto gazing out of the basket, your legs off the pedals out on each side with Sacha Distel singing Raindrops Keep Falling on My 'Ed.

I had a chuckle to myself wondering how these things run through our heads :))
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam =)) you missed the bit at the end where I casually turn my head to look at what Otto is barking at and end up ploughing into the back of something. Have been told there is no room in the garage for any more rubbish :(
Harley
Puppy
First Name: Gary

Post by Harley »

My last 3 miniature schnauzers all enjoyed bike rides in the cargo basket of my 3 wheel adult trike... loved the wind in their face!! My newest mini is Harley... with a name like that he was born to ride!! Might have to get him some goggles... B-)
Last edited by Harley on 06 Nov 2020, 01:30, edited 2 times in total.
Valentin01
Puppy
First Name: Lucey

Post by Valentin01 »

I had a bad close call. I put my dog in a basket secured with a leash which I thought was short enough to keep her from jumping out - WRONG! Instead of leaping forward like I thought she might, she flipped over backwards and managed to hang herself out the side of the basket. Her legs got scraped by the front spokes before I could stop. I was lucky. If I'd been going faster she could easily have broken her leg or worse. Needless to say, the rest of the ride was nearly as traumatic for the both of us. I did realize after this that you can tie off the BOTTOM of a dog's HARNESS - don't even try it with a collar - and indeed make it impossible for them to climb or jump out of the basket. Of course they won't be able to move around much. to You also have to ride within you and your dog's combined limits. I wouldn't do it in traffic of any kind. And besides, my dog hasn't been bugging me to go for a ride.
Garyy
First Name: Gary

Post by Garyy »

The best dogs you can go along with while biking are those already leash trained. So, if your dog is not accustomed to using a leash, you must leash-train your pet. Before you introduce the biking activity with your dog, make sure that your pet does not pull, stop, or immediately run ahead while you are walking.