Rosie and Edie go on RAW

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Rosie and Edie go on RAW

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That should have read unexpected benefit....
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Otto was poorly last night/early morning both ends. Has some blood in poo this morning but stools are still reasonably firm. Fine in himself. I will be trying the raw green tripe as a recovery diet later when tummy has had chance to rest. Will report on how we get on with it. First time I have had to deal with an upset tum whilst on raw.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

I've had to deal with 2 tummy problems with Rosie and one with Edie (not at the same time) since going on RAW. All occasions were caused by scavenging something and never extended from one poo to the next.

I think you've had the same problems with Otto as I had with Rosie and to go from something that happened every other day to once or twice in 5 months is nothing short of miraculous.

I hope Otto's on the mend soon :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Sam. 5 months without a problem is amazing. I know Otto ate something off the ground yesterday morning and I wasn't quick enough to get at it. Did you feed as normal Sam or do something different?
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

oh and I might have said that tripe didn't smell so bad... scratch that boy it smells rank and worse it takes ages to get the smell from your hands. Just as well I love the little guy... wouldn't do it for anyone else :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

With our dogs, if they have a dodgy poo, I mix some Yudigest-plus powder into their normal food and a teaspoon of Tree Barks Powder which together should help boost the good bacteria, help to get rid of some of the bad bacteria and soothe any inflammation in the digestive system. I am sure with a minor issue such as just eating bird droppings or similar, they will probably get over it anyway but I feel it just helps ward off any chance of it going on for a bit longer :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 27 May 2019, 11:27 Thanks Sam. 5 months without a problem is amazing. I know Otto ate something off the ground yesterday morning and I wasn't quick enough to get at it. Did you feed as normal Sam or do something different?
IHi Julie,

the Nutriment has pro and prebiotic mixed in to the complete meal. That said, on the 3 occasions we've had, I give them Yudigest (just the ordinary tablets as I've a batch of them :) to use up)

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks both. He hasn't been sick today which is good, poop still has a little blood in it but little chap is still full of beans. Best of all he gets to spend a night upstairs so I can keep my eye on him. :)
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Completely back to normal. Green tripe worked well although we did have dark green poop yesterday.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 29 May 2019, 09:38 Completely back to normal. Green tripe worked well although we did have dark green poop yesterday.
Great to hear Otto's back to normal.

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

So seven months now on Nutriment and everything is going well for both girls but I still haven't got Rosie's weight under control.

She weighs in at 10.7kg and is obviously carrying too much weight. I am giving her 2% of her weight each day in food (actually 105g twice a day) and I think I need to adjust this down to maybe 90g. She started off on 125g twice a day.

Edie weighs in at 9.9 kg and could probably do with losing about 500g - anything more and she would be scrawny. She also gets 105g twice a day.

There's no way that either girl would be able to get to even the upper end of the breed standard :) (about 8kg)

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 11:19 So seven months now on Nutriment and everything is going well for both girls but I still haven't got Rosie's weight under control.

She weighs in at 10.7kg and is obviously carrying too much weight. I am giving her 2% of her weight each day in food (actually 105g twice a day) and I think I need to adjust this down to maybe 90g. She started off on 125g twice a day.

Edie weighs in at 9.9 kg and could probably do with losing about 500g - anything more and she would be scrawny. She also gets 105g twice a day.

There's no way that either girl would be able to get to even the upper end of the breed standard :) (about 8kg)
Try not to fret too much about the girls' weight as long as they seem fit and active. It is easy to get hung up on exact figures and, if you can still feel their ribs, they should be fine. It depends too on their height and build as to whether you would be aiming for "breed standard" weight which is also only a guideline anyway. The percentage should be based on ideal weight for the individual dog and not their actual weight as this could be too much or too little for that particular dog but it is also only a general guide and some dogs burn off calories much faster than others which may mean, even within a family, that one dog has 3% or more and another only 2%.

It can be a nightmare trying to fix on the perfect set amount of food for some dogs. Our Magic was terrible for going up and down in weight as I tried to find her ideal amount. She is now on 70g approximately twice a day which seems to be working out OK. She weighs around 6.5 kg and is just over 30.5 cm to the shoulders and quite a petite build. Her daughter and granddaughter (living with us ) have 125g twice daily and are around 7 - 7.5 kg, a slightly heavier build and 31.5 cm to the shoulders. All three are spayed. Magic is definitely less active than the other two girls and is of a more laid back nature which means she expends less physical and nervous energy and may explain why she is fine on less food. Magic is now 9 years old, Trilby is 7 and Pip is 5.

If you think that Rosie could do with dropping down a bit, it would be a good idea to try her on 90g twice daily but, with both girls, I would only adjust amounts if they really seem to be carrying too much weight rather than just in order to bring down the figures when they are formally weighed. We rarely have our dogs weighed actually as we visit the vet surgery so infrequently which is why the figures I quoted are a bit approximate based on their last weighing and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference from then. As long as they look fine, are active and not struggling with exercise appropriate for their age, I try to be as relaxed about their weight as I am for myself :D
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Thanks for the advice, Leigh.

I pass by the vets every day on one of our walks and, every month, will call in to weigh them. I'm not bothered about aiming for the breed standard of 8ish kg anymore than I want to get myself to an acceptable BMI :) By that standard, Edie is fine but Rosie is a little portly though I'd never tell her. She is very active but I think her metabolism may have slowed since her spay. I've cut her down to 95g and will assess again in a couple of weeks.

Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Another two months down the RAW road and can't imagine offering anything else. I've cut both girls down to 85g, twice a day now, around 1.7% of body weight. Edie has steadied at 9.9kg and Rosie's weight has dropped to 10.3kg from 10.7kg so she's moving in the right direction.

Edie is a little taller than Rosie but has a smaller frame and if you you were told Rosie's weight and had to guess Edie's you'd go for a kilo or so less.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ditto here Sam, so glad that you started this and I followed. Otto is just under 9kg and has 280g per day in two meals. (The difference is amazing isn't it with the different gender/metabolisms). Best thing we ever did.