Rupert the Bear

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Rupert the Bear

Post by lj_thorne »

So after losing Barnaby in December two just wasn’t working in this house so Rupert the Bear arrived home just before Easter at 9 weeks

He is an absolute star, the sweetest little lad. He’s very like Sherman but in less of a tank way. I describe Sherman as coming through the door whether it’s open or not but Rupert would knock first 😂 they have the same Mum and Sherman’s Dad is Ruperts Grandad. So same clown like happy nature.

He came home completely toilet trained something I still find hard to believe!!!! And his dog language with the lads has been amazing. Sherman took a couple of weeks to be less tank with him and now they spent most of the day bearding. Albert doesn’t mind him but is happy doing his own thing.

And some up to date photos

Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Rupert the Bear

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

What a lovely set of photo's and astonishing at how much Rupert has grown between the first and second last photo's. When I look at photo's of schnauzer pups, it always brings a smile to my face.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Oh my word, WHAT a cutie Rupert is. I love that first picture where he is so tiny in the middle of his brothers, then more recently he is around their size :)

It looks like he loves the chase too :D

So a couple of questions - sorry.

One of your b&s Schnauzers has a much longer beard than the other, is that by design? Or just one of those things where the short beard just doesn't grow?

How did they take to another Schnauzer joining their family? Or was the introduction quite straight forward as you were a three-Schnauzer family previously - sorry :(

I have two now and Sasha is coming up for two years old in Sept and seeing pictures of both Jasper and Monty (white mini's) I wonder whether three would be a good number OR if it would be too much for us to cope with. I'm thinking of food/insurance/vet bills/grooming costs/holidays then the care/love/attention you can dedicate to each one.....

lj_thorne

Post by lj_thorne »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:06 What a lovely set of photo's and astonishing at how much Rupert has grown between the first and second last photo's. When I look at photo's of schnauzer pups, it always brings a smile to my face.

I have been taking photos initially weekly and now monthly of Rupert and his mate Edward the elephant ! I’ve learnt how quickly they grow so I was determined to have the photos this time !

This is 11 weeks to last week

Barnaby 🌈

lj_thorne

Post by lj_thorne »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:36 Oh my word, WHAT a cutie Rupert is. I love that first picture where he is so tiny in the middle of his brothers, then more recently he is around their size :)

It looks like he loves the chase too :D

So a couple of questions - sorry.

One of your b&s Schnauzers has a much longer beard than the other, is that by design? Or just one of those things where the short beard just doesn't grow?

How did they take to another Schnauzer joining their family? Or was the introduction quite straight forward as you were a three-Schnauzer family previously - sorry :(

I have two now and Sasha is coming up for two years old in Sept and seeing pictures of both Jasper and Monty (white mini's) I wonder whether three would be a good number OR if it would be too much for us to cope with. I'm thinking of food/insurance/vet bills/grooming costs/holidays then the care/love/attention you can dedicate to each one.....

So beards.... it’s completely just down to how I groom them. Albert with the shorter beard has much fluffier fur so it actually keeps nicer shorter, he tends to look like a street urchin with it longer although I am considering growing it again!

Sherman’s was actually much longer pre Rupert he has been puppified!!! I have had to trim off about 2 inches from that first photo as he had been left with a stringy goatee 😂😂😂😂

I would say introductions were no easier having been a three before as yet again everything changed. Albert was still not right after losing Barnaby so as expected he needed time to get used to Rupert. He was exactly the same when we added Sherman to the mix. Albert likes routine so any change is a big thing for him and he takes time to accept it. His way is to watch and when he’s ready join in. Sherman is much more of a wade in think later ! So I spent about 2 weeks watching everyone like hawks and giving everyone the time and space they needed. We had the puppy pen set up in the living room so when time out was needed from anyone pup went in there. About 2 weeks after we had him Sherman suddenly clicked that if he was a bit calmer Rupert played so I could relax a little.

The trick is to find a breeder who knows their dogs and puppies. We didn’t choose Rupert the breeder choose him as the right puppy for us. She was also Sherman’s breeder so knew exactly what he was like. We needed a quietly confident puppy who was polite with adult dogs to give Albert his space but also tough enough to be Sherman’d!

Overall I don’t see much diff going from two to three and I am so pleased we had three as I don’t think Albert would have coped if we hadn’t had Sherman.

Barnaby 🌈

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh Lisa you have been holding back on us. What absolutely fabulous photos and a beautiful new little boy you have there. I imagine you have been absolutely shattered being on guard in those early days. I feel really broody.... more schnauzers required here I think and it sounds like Mike is coming up with a cunning plan for numero tres...
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
lj_thorne

Post by lj_thorne »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 19:43 Oh Lisa you have been holding back on us. What absolutely fabulous photos and a beautiful new little boy you have there. I imagine you have been absolutely shattered being on guard in those early days. I feel really broody.... more schnauzers required here I think and it sounds like Mike is coming up with a cunning plan for numero tres...
I don’t know where the time has gone!!! It kind of feels like he’s been here forever but I have to remind myself he’s only 5 1/2 months half the time as he’s such a chilled little dude !

Barnaby 🌈

redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Hi Lisa, what lovely piccies of your pack, Rupert sure looks a cutie, he looks just like my girlies, just a little smaller. I'm glad he has fitted into your routine so well. On a different note - are you still not making your collars any more?
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Lisa what a handsome boy Rupert is, he's gorgeous, loved your photos so glad you have another now to make it back up to three. It does make such a difference when they come home house trained. We got Gino after losing Suzi to be honest I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to the puppy stage, but Gino has been a pure joy, he came home at 8 weeks & went all night from his first day home with us. Took to his crate no bother thanks to his breeder, was house trained within a couple of weeks admit a few accidents during the day just 6 to be exact but wasn't Gino's fault it was down to my other half when I wasn't there.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

lj_thorne wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:57
So beards.... it’s completely just down to how I groom them. Albert with the shorter beard has much fluffier fur so it actually keeps nicer shorter, he tends to look like a street urchin with it longer although I am considering growing it again!

Sherman’s was actually much longer pre Rupert he has been puppified!!! I have had to trim off about 2 inches from that first photo as he had been left with a stringy goatee 😂😂😂😂

I would say introductions were no easier having been a three before as yet again everything changed. Albert was still not right after losing Barnaby so as expected he needed time to get used to Rupert. He was exactly the same when we added Sherman to the mix. Albert likes routine so any change is a big thing for him and he takes time to accept it. His way is to watch and when he’s ready join in. Sherman is much more of a wade in think later ! So I spent about 2 weeks watching everyone like hawks and giving everyone the time and space they needed. We had the puppy pen set up in the living room so when time out was needed from anyone pup went in there. About 2 weeks after we had him Sherman suddenly clicked that if he was a bit calmer Rupert played so I could relax a little.

The trick is to find a breeder who knows their dogs and puppies. We didn’t choose Rupert the breeder choose him as the right puppy for us. She was also Sherman’s breeder so knew exactly what he was like. We needed a quietly confident puppy who was polite with adult dogs to give Albert his space but also tough enough to be Sherman’d!

Overall I don’t see much diff going from two to three and I am so pleased we had three as I don’t think Albert would have coped if we hadn’t had Sherman.

Thank you, three Schnauzers sounds like a good number to me, now I need to convince my wife :ympray:
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 14:46 Thank you, three Schnauzers sounds like a good number to me, now I need to convince my wife :ympray:
My wife is working on me for a third but I'm holding very firm (at the moment) :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
lj_thorne

Post by lj_thorne »

redalert wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 08:38 Hi Lisa, what lovely piccies of your pack, Rupert sure looks a cutie, he looks just like my girlies, just a little smaller. I'm glad he has fitted into your routine so well. On a different note - are you still not making your collars any more?
No I’m not making them anymore, my health took a nosedive after we lost Barnaby so I had made the decision to stop selling them so just making them for me so the lads have more than one each now!!!!

Plus having Rupert I needed to concentrate on the fun stuff like taking him out for coffee 😂

Barnaby 🌈

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

He a lovely cuddly bear :x I bet Sherman is a great big brother. I could do with borrowing him for a week to entertain Jasper =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dancon
First Name: Lesley
Dog #1: Stanley RIP 12.09.19
Born: 05 Jun 2010
Dog #2: Wilson
is a: B/S Std Dog
Born: 08 Oct 2020
Dog #3: Frazer
Born: 05 Apr 2021
is a: B/S Std Dog

Post by Dancon »

I think I have fallen in love! Please don’t post any more gorgeous pics, I will end up getting another schnauzer if I see any more LOL , what gorgeous pups!!!!
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

No I’m not making them anymore, my health took a nosedive after we lost Barnaby so I had made the decision to stop selling them so just making them for me so the lads have more than one each now!!!!

Sorry to hear about your health, I hope you are on the mend now, and enjoying your boys who are stunning.