Advice please

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Ideal76
Puppy
First Name: Delia
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2018

Advice please

Post by Ideal76 »

Hi everyone our boy is nearly 18 months and is not neutered and we were not planning to have him neutered. However , he has embarrassing problem ... I have experienced mini schnauzer friends and they have not come across this problem before . Hence I thought worth asking on here . Once or twice every 6 weeks or so approximately he wakes up and his lipstick ( not sure what to refer to it on here ) is stuck . He has not been humping anything prior to this happening but it does not go back with out assistance . First time was a vet visit . My questions are is will neutering completely prevent this , and has anyone experienced this before . His happiness and health come first and if neutering him is the solution then of course we will . Thank you in advance .
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Advice please

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Delia, it is not that uncommon for male dogs to have part of their penis protruding from the sheath on the odd occasion but it is more of a worry if it is unable to go back without assistance. Did the vet offer any advice when you took your boy in to the surgery about this?

There is a link here which gives some information you may find helpful:

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet ... ment-30463

I can also tell you about our experience with one of our male dogs and a similar issue although in his case this did become very serious but may well not be the same situation as with your boy. Our dog has been neutered for over 4 years so neutering is very unlikely to be of any help at all and would not be a solution to the issue. Apologies for the lengthy tale but it does highlight potential issues for any male dog that does have difficulty retracting his penis and it can be more than just an embarrassment.

With our boy, from adolescence onward he frequently had the end of his penis protruding when he was resting and awake and, as I was worried about potential infection etc. we took him to the vet. We were advised at that time not to worry about it as it was just "one of those things". Then, a year or so back, I thought he was not right in himself and, as he had been constantly licking at his private parts, I thought he might have a urinary infection. Watching him when he pee'd I saw blood dripping from the end of his penis - too much blood for this to be just an infection. He was taken to the emergency vet (weekend) who thought he may have scratched his penis and this was causing the bleeding. A return visit to the vet when the surgery re-opened and an examination under sedation revealed that hair had been drawn down inside the sheath and wrapped round his penis and was cutting into it like cheese wire. I cannot imagine how much pain he must have been suffering. The vet removed the hair and all was well for a while until, earlier this year, I was sure the situation had recurred although there was no bleeding to see. A further examination confirmed that hair was again wrapped around and cutting into his penis. It seemed that the end of the sheath in his case was inverted and hair was growing on the inside which meant it was not accessible to us for trimming - he would need to be sedated to cut it. Although the vet was happy to deal with the issue, we were reluctant to just leave it at that, given it may keep recurring and we made the decision to allow the vet to cut open the sheath and remove part of it to allow us to monitor and deal easily ourselves with any hair that might get caught, although the surgery was intended to help prevent this. So far all is well thank goodness!

I do know from the vet that this is a pretty rare event so I don't want to alarm you that anything quite so serious might happen with your boy. If the vet has not given you any advice, I would just monitor your little one to make sure if there is a problem you can get him to the vet quickly. If it is just a case of you helping to retract the penis and you can do this, it may just be a bit embarrassing but may eventually resolve itself.

I would add though that if your boy has had an "erection" in that his penis is fully out and swollen in size, this is something that can take quite a while before it will retract anyway and is quite normal. It happens most frequently with entire adolescent dogs although usually when they scent or are in the vicinity of a female dog in heat. You would just need to give him time to calm down and it will resolve without any need for help.

As regards neutering, it may depend on the individual dog as to how long it would take to reduce the sexual urges which can contribute to incidents of humping / getting an erection but it will not have any effect on how easily (or not) a dog can retract his penis as this is a physical issue rather than a hormonal one so neutering would not help in this situation.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

H Delia,

I've no personal experience of this having only ever had bitches but is something I've read about when researching whether to get a dog or bitch when I got my first mini.

Firstly, neutering will not prevent this from happening as he will still have erections.

The most common cause is hair at the tip of the prepuce and you must ensure you (or his groomer) keep the hair in the area around his penis short so that it can't prevent the gland from returning inside the sheath.

If this is happening frequently and does not sort itself out then you must go to the vet and get advice on how to deal with it in the future.

I'm just adding an edit as Leigh replied to you as I was typing my response and didn't see it until I'd posted. So in summary my response it "what she said" :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Ideal76
Puppy

Post by Ideal76 »

Hi...

Thank you both for these responses. For some reason I have only just seen them . Must contact admin as I no longer get weekly emails or any notifications. Our groomer in Essex has always kept him short in that area. Sadly I have had him neutered on Monday as the vet advised me this would reduce his testorerone and his penis would not keep getting stuck out . We did not want him neutered however him being happy and comfortable is obviously priority, it was happening more frequently and causing him discomfort . I must confess if it does continue to happen I will feel I have let him down and neutered him for no reason : (
Thank you for your replies much appreciated and baffled as to why I have only just seen them .
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Ideal76 wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 16:07 Hi...

Thank you both for these responses. For some reason I have only just seen them . Must contact admin as I no longer get weekly emails or any notifications. Our groomer in Essex has always kept him short in that area. Sadly I have had him neutered on Monday as the vet advised me this would reduce his testorerone and his penis would not keep getting stuck out . We did not want him neutered however him being happy and comfortable is obviously priority, it was happening more frequently and causing him discomfort . I must confess if it does continue to happen I will feel I have let him down and neutered him for no reason : (
Thank you for your replies much appreciated and baffled as to why I have only just seen them .
Sorry that you had not seen the replies sooner and I do hope that the neutering does help resolve the issue. Although you had not planned to neuter your boy prior to this, there is no reason to think he will not live a full and happy life going forward, especially as he is well over a year old, and do let us know how things work out re his "problem" as it is always useful to know of different experiences to certain issues faced by schnauzer families with their dogs.

Ideal76
Puppy

Post by Ideal76 »

Since being neutered in August he has not had any more issues so it was obviously the right thing to do for him . So although not planned it was right for us to neuter him and thankfully no more problems in that area ..thought I would do overdue update !
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Ideal76 wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 23:02 Since being neutered in August he has not had any more issues so it was obviously the right thing to do for him . So although not planned it was right for us to neuter him and thankfully no more problems in that area ..thought I would do overdue update !
So glad to hear the issues are resolved - thank you for the update :)