Petition

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Petition

Post by Lou78 »

Hello all,

Hope this is allowed; if not please remove.

There is an interesting article on the BBC news site about a lady who was sacked from her job for not being able to go to work when her dog passed away as she was so upset. She has set up a petition to try and make bereavement leave/rules for employers for when pet family members pass the same as humans.

Not sure how successful it will be but i have signed it as i dread the day anything happens to Ollie as i know i would be a total wreck. I know there are people on here who have experienced that grief so maybe interested in signing.

https://www.change.org/p/emma-mcnulty-a ... 91c51337ba

Not sure this link will work but i just googles Emma McNulty Change.org and it will come up. Thank you.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Re: Petition

Post by schnauzer »

Have signed this as I know when I lost my Suzi I could not of gone to work fortunately I wasn't working at the time but I was devastated & cried non stop for days, took me weeks to venture out as every time I thought about her I had a lump in my throat,& the tears just flowed it was awful. Two weeks later Suzi's groomer (who used to breed Schnauzers) insisted that I joined her for lunch & introduced me to her friend (a Schnauzer Breeder) who's dog was having puppies, I didn't think I could go back to having another new puppy but it was the best thing that I did as bringing Gino home helped me so much he will never replace her but he is so loving towards me I swear he knows I need him.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

It is difficult as people who have never owned dogs don't quite understand what we feel when we lose a dog. I remember when I lost Oscar I emailed work, couldn't speak on the phone, to say I had had a bereavement of a close family member. They didn't ask any questions as being British we don't tend to ask too much when we know someone is upset. It's a shame we have to have such rules as a little compassion for fellow dog owners would fix it. In fact I would go as far as saying that losing my dogs hurt more than losing close family members. I hope she gets her job back or gets a better job with a more compassionate firm.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It is a situation which affects many people with dogs and other pets too, I am sure and the petition is certainly getting lots of publicity - the Vet Times had an article about it as well. Currently even bereavement leave for loss of a family member is not a legal right even though most employers do offer this. Apparently there is an intention to introduce a law in 2020 in the UK to mean parents who lose a child under the age of 18 years will be entitled to 2 weeks paid leave but currently compassionate leave is up to the company's discretion.

I have also read of people campaigning for "pawrental" (!!) leave to give them time off to settle in a new puppy. I can imagine that there might be employers who fear that some people might abuse these kind of "rights" if they were introduced. I do think much depends on the nature of the company and their willingness to respect the grief of a bereaved pet owner and, if anyone feels their employer may not be sensitive to this, maybe, as Julie says above, just say it is a close family member which is true.

I have signed the petition :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/