Oscar attacked

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Oscar attacked

Post by mikegoodson1 »

My poor boy was attacked by a Rottweiler today. My wife was walking both our Schnauzers, on the lead, when a lady with a Rottweiler (who my wife has seen previously on other walks, struggling a little to control it), walked by, the Rottweiler slipped her control and went for Oscar (Sasha, who is much smaller, was left alone).

My wife took Oscar to the vet, they cleaned the bite and gave us some antibiotics, pain relief and a solution to dilute and wipe over the wound (they kept it open and have not covered it in any way). My wife said she was in a right state when it happened but calmed down by the time she got home from the vets.

These things happen right. I mean I have heard loads of stories about dogs being attacked and I always felt blessed that our two had travelled their dog path without incident - until now.

We have been in contact with the owner of the Rottweiler (she gave us her number straight after), who was mortified and offered to pay for any vet bills, which we declined. We just asked her to keep her dog muzzled if walking it in a public space as she knows it's "temperamental".

Anyway I just wanted to ask, do I need to do anything different with Oscar from now on? Or do we carry on our walks as before and just keep an eye on him in case it's affected his confidence or God forbid, his temperament. Of course, until his wound has healed I will be careful where we go and the next couple of days I may keep them both in, just letting them use the garden etc.

I was just after some advice please on how best to handle this. Oscar 'seems' okay, a little sorry for himself but relatively normal - if that is such a word you can use when describing a Miniature Schnauzer :)

Thank you.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Re: Oscar attacked

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi Mike

As a newbie mini schnauzer owner, I have no advice to offer, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about Oscar. What a terrible experience it must have been for your wife. I really hope the bite heals quickly and Oscar is back to his confident and spritely self soon.

'Temperamental' is certainly one word for the rottweiler. Sounds like some training and muzzling is vital for the safety of other dogs. I hope the owner heeds your suggestion.

Sending best wishes.

Emma
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh Mike, that is awful and truly your worst nightmare. I am so upset to read your post. Like all the regular posters on here I really feel that I know your dogs. In terms of advice, I am a member of the Reactive Dog UK facebook group and hear lots of stories about dogs that have turned reactive following an attack so I have read the advice given. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that Oscar is going to be reactive, my Oscar got bitten many times and I was always amazed as to how he seemed to brush it off. Me on the other hand found it very difficult to brush off.

So the advice usually given is to let Oscar rest for a day or so, try walking him in places or at times without seeing any other dogs so that stress levels go right down. Cortisol levels in dogs can stay high for days in some dogs. Hopefully he is fine and doesn't seem scared. If ok then start to reintroduce other dogs slowly and watch carefully for any reactions that are different. For example, freezing/stopping when he sees a dog, wanting to walk in opposite directions to dog, barking when he sees a dog, staring, anything you feel is different and if you start to see him doing any of that then high value treats when he sees a dog and let him relax, slow down, sniff etc. without getting near to other dogs. Most importantly is that your and your wife stay relaxed and loose lead if you feel him tensing and talk in a chipper way as if the whole thing hadn't happened. From what I have heard of Oscar he is just like my first schnauzer, easy going and I really think he will get over this, just be alert to any differences. (Fyi, a staffie got my Oscar's head in his mouth once and didn't affect him). Let us know how he is Mike, I am absolutely gutted for you and actually I really hope little Sasha hasn't been affected by what she saw, but again watch the body language around other dogs in a couple of days or so when they have had time to completely calm down. Thinking of you all and feel for your poor wife who had to witness the horror in front of her eyes. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

GoEmGo wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 20:20 Hi Mike

As a newbie mini schnauzer owner, I have no advice to offer, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about Oscar. What a terrible experience it must have been for your wife. I really hope the bite heals quickly and Oscar is back to his confident and spritely self soon.

'Temperamental' is certainly one word for the rottweiler. Sounds like some training and muzzling is vital for the safety of other dogs. I hope the owner heeds your suggestion.

Sending best wishes.

Emma
Thanks Emma, yes my wife said she was shrieking at the dog and the owner - we contacted the owner afterwards (as I think I mentioned) and she said that her dog rather than being aggressive was more an anxious dog. Quite why it decided to attack Oscar though, when my wife/pooches were walking past (not near one another apparently but my wife gave them a W I D E berth) I don't know. Hopefully it will be muzzled in future, just in case.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 20:22 Oh Mike, that is awful and truly your worst nightmare. I am so upset to read your post. Like all the regular posters on here I really feel that I know your dogs. In terms of advice, I am a member of the Reactive Dog UK facebook group and hear lots of stories about dogs that have turned reactive following an attack so I have read the advice given. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that Oscar is going to be reactive, my Oscar got bitten many times and I was always amazed as to how he seemed to brush it off. Me on the other hand found it very difficult to brush off.

So the advice usually given is to let Oscar rest for a day or so, try walking him in places or at times without seeing any other dogs so that stress levels go right down. Cortisol levels in dogs can stay high for days in some dogs. Hopefully he is fine and doesn't seem scared. If ok then start to reintroduce other dogs slowly and watch carefully for any reactions that are different. For example, freezing/stopping when he sees a dog, wanting to walk in opposite directions to dog, barking when he sees a dog, staring, anything you feel is different and if you start to see him doing any of that then high value treats when he sees a dog and let him relax, slow down, sniff etc. without getting near to other dogs. Most importantly is that your and your wife stay relaxed and loose lead if you feel him tensing and talk in a chipper way as if the whole thing hadn't happened. From what I have heard of Oscar he is just like my first schnauzer, easy going and I really think he will get over this, just be alert to any differences. (Fyi, a staffie got my Oscar's head in his mouth once and didn't affect him). Let us know how he is Mike, I am absolutely gutted for you and actually I really hope little Sasha hasn't been affected by what she saw, but again watch the body language around other dogs in a couple of days or so when they have had time to completely calm down. Thinking of you all and feel for your poor wife who had to witness the horror in front of her eyes. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
Hi Julie

Thanks so much for your reply, that's exactly the sort of advice/guidance I was hoping for - thank you. What you said about Oscar is 100% accurate, he is really easy going/friendly, soppy almost so it's really upsetting that this may affect him long-term but I'm hoping not. As much as we dote on our two pooches, we are pretty relaxed and easy going too so hopefully that vibe will transfer over to them both.

And of course, we need to think about Sasha too, just to check that she isn't too affected, she is more nervous around dogs anyway, so this may not be good for her.

Anyway, feel like I'm rambling now. Thanks again. Will keep you updated.

Mike
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Oh Mike, so sorry to hear about Oscar. Super advice from Julie above and I agree that different dogs can react in different ways and some seem able to brush off experiences that others take a long time to recover from and may always be affected by. Hopefully Oscar is a resilient little dog and will bounce back once his physical wounds are healed.

One of our affens were attacked by a Belgian Shepherd dog about a year ago when they were being walked with two others, luckily the owner acted swiftly enough that no lasting physical damage was done. It was actually one of the affens who witnessed the attack that was the worst affected as regards anxiety so it is a good idea, as you say, to consider Sasha too.

Do keep us updated and hope Oscar heals very soon.

Take care and sending hugs to all :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lindalex2
Puppy
First Name: Linda

Post by Lindalex2 »

Hi Mike, so sorry to read this - hoping he’s comfier today- also that your wife’s recovered from such a nasty experience.
Warm wishes to you all
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thanks Leigh and Linda. He has been very subdued this morning, even staying downstairs on his own when I popped upstairs to do some chores for 20 minutes or so, Oscar would never stay downstairs without me normally. He has had plenty of love and this afternoon he seems to have perked up a little, especially when I mentioned lunch :)

He does seem to be sleeping a little more than normal but I guess that could be the stress and/or antibiotics kicking in.

As I said to my wife, day by day he'll improve and we will see on Saturday if he wants to go out for a little walk.

Thanks for all your kind words and support.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Mike, what a horrible thing for all of you; I think it's every owner's nightmare.

I really hope it doesn't change Oscar's temperament or make him anxious of other dogs. It's probably something that you wife will have some difficulty to come to terms with too.

Best wishes to all four of you.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Mike so sorry to read that Oscar has been attacked do hope he is recovering from the attack I also hope your wife is getting over the ordeal. I’ve been there my last girl was attacked 3 times by the same Staffie also on another occasion she got attacked by a Border Terrier while we were staying with friends for the weekend..

I just kept doing normal walks my girl took it all in stride bless her.

Thinking about you all
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thank you. Oscar is doing really well now, at home he is back to normal so tomorrow we'll take him out, a different walk than on Weds, to see how he gets on. He had a vet check-up today and she was really pleased with his progress.

The only downer is that we have heard from the owner of the other dog and she told us that she will not be muzzling her dog and that her dog is "a guardian dog with a high prey drive", she also said she would "keep her dog under control". I have not responded to her because it has upset my wife again and we don't want to drag this on but honestly, how she can "control" her dog is beyond me. I have not seen her for myself (although I would love to bump into her) but I have been told by my wife and our dog sitter that this lady struggles to even hold onto the lead as the dog pulls and is strong. Anyway, we are trying to let it go but my wife will not be walking over the area where Oscar was attacked.

Some dog owners ~x(
Last edited by mikegoodson1 on 13 Sep 2019, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That's great news about Oscar Mike. Best of luck for tomorrow and hope they both enjoy their walk after their well earned rest. Based on that owner's response to your very reasonable and sensible suggestion I would report it to the local dog warden so it is on record and tell her that. It might make her rethink or at least get some behavioural training for her dog.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Just a quick update on this situation.

First the negative news: I have subsequently heard from others who walk the area where Oscar was attacked and they have told me that this particular dog (and apologies to any Rottweiler lovers, apparently it's a Swiss Mountain Dog and not a Rottweiler) has attacked other dogs too, so this is not an isolated incident. Even more remarkably, the owner is engaged with a trainer already to work on this dogs "prey drive" but it doesn't seem to be working. I intend to report this incident to the Police or our local dog warden, not because I want anything to happen to the dog itself but I want the owner to be more responsible for the safety of other dogs.

Anyway, on the positive side, Oscar is back to his normal self, which I am really pleased about. We took him out on Saturday, made sure we put him back on the lead when we saw any dogs nearby but he was fine. I asked those owners if I could bring Oscar over to them/their dog (after explaining the recent events) and all was good, the usual sniffing then carrying on their walk. Same too yesterday on our walk.

Obviously I'll keep a more vigilant eye on Oscar and what type of dog is nearby but at least it looks like no lasting physical or psychological damage has been done :-bd
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That is brilliant news about little Oscar. Thankfully no lasting effects. :)
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Great news about Oscar, Mike.

Not so good news however about the other dog owner. I think you're right to report - and you're doing it for the right reasons. As always, it's the owners, not the dog.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/