Jasper's puppy days

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Jasper's puppy days

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sorry thought I had typed HE is built to run and run and run.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

What a lovely post, I just loved reading it, so touching to read that Jasper was with you on the day of your Mum's funeral. xx
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

He is so lovely, his legs seem to go on for ever, when our Boxer used to run and run my husband always used to say - problem is he has too many legs!!!! if you get my drift =))
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

A quick update on Jasper the rascal. I've been doing some calming training to get him to learn to chill. I use a settle blanket. To start with he got treated for putting a paw on, eventually it moved on to him offering a down. The blanket only comes out for a training session to keep it special. Now as soon as I put it on the floor he lays on it straight away. He's given the "free" command, I throw a treat and he can get up. Then of course he comes straight back and lays on it again. Still working on increasing the time he stays in down and proofing the "free" command so he doesn't get up on his own.

However Jasper has his own ideas. The blanket is kept on top of a unit. He managed to get it off brought it to me, dropped it at my feet and laid on it =)) Of course he got treats, now the blanket is out of sight :))

Today he wanted to look out of the kitchen window as I left. OH was trying to get him to jump up in his arms. The direction went a bit wrong he did a vertical jump straight into the sink :-o :ymdevil:

In the car he has learnt to do the button to open the window. It's a good job he's belted in otherwise he'd probably jump out first sight of a dog knowing him :))

He certainly keeps us entertained and on our toes when he's awake, but hes a total cuddle bundle when he wants a sleep
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sounds a super boy Alison. I am always amazed about how high they can jump and mines only got pip squeak legs not super model like Jasper. I threw a treat in the boot of the car the other day so I could wipe Otto down after a very dirty walk. Just about to turn round to give him a hand in and he was in there and the boot is a long way up. I am convinced he has built-in springs, he just springs up on to my lap when I am not expecting it, from seating position to seating position. I don't know whether you are a member of the Canine Enrichment Facebook Group but it is has some fantastic ideas on how to keep your canines entertained. So much creativity out there. Someone even bought a paper piñata and filled it with treats and hung it off a door, it was a number 3 for 3rd birthday treat. What a great idea. Defo doing that next July. :D
AmandaN
First Name: Amanda
Dog #1: Freya
is a: White Mini Bitch
Dog #2: Abbie
Born: 11 May 2011

Post by AmandaN »

I've just been catching up on Jasper's puppy story - he looks an absolute little cracker. Sorry to see he was poorly last week Alison, hope he's fully recovered now. What a gorgeous boy!!
Schnauzer parent for over 20 years RIP Carla, Lucy, Pippa, Daisy, Pepsi & Lucy

Pocketpark Biala Cloud - Freya
Brumist Too Hot To Handle - Abbie
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Not posted any photos for a while. Jasper continues to be a bundle of mischief. The xmas tree got a chewing, thankfully the novelty has worn off. The musical xmas turkey and robin have had to be put well out of reach. He gets so excited when you turn them on its so funny but of course he wants them to play with him as they move and they dont =))
All the bits on the floor are after Jasper was "helping" me open a parcel :ymdevil: :))
Do you like his sidebrows ? I've no idea why they are like that. It makes him look extra cheeky. Maybe I've just grown the wrong bit. It took about 2 years before I got Barneys in the right place.
A rare moment Jasper chilled out on the settee.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Dawnspell wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 11:47 The xmas tree got a chewing, thankfully the novelty has worn off.
We have to keep Edie out of the lounge as she's decided she doesn't like the reindeer on the hearth. She creeps up to him and growls before launching her attack, grabbing him by the legs and taking him off to her bed for a chew. We were alerted because of the growling and watched her at her work :))
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Dawnspell wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 11:47
Do you like his sidebrows ? I've no idea why they are like that. It makes him look extra cheeky. Maybe I've just grown the wrong bit. It took about 2 years before I got Barneys in the right place.
I love the pictures and those sidebrows are great :)
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

He does look a cheeky chap..... Otto sleeps like that bottom photo, his head cocked right back. I wouldn't have thought it was comfortable but he always does it. Saw a white schnauzer today and the owner was quite surprised that I recognised it was a schnauzer as she normally has a chuckle at all the guesses. Glad I didn't have the eyebrow problem with them being a different colour. White and blacks must be more difficult. They look fine, gives him a sort of "hey dude" look. :D
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 16:54 Saw a white schnauzer today and the owner was quite surprised that I recognised it was a schnauzer as she normally has a chuckle at all the guesses.
The most unusual guess I've had is Pumi. Which given jaspers ears sometimes go wild it does give him the look of one.

He's getting quite well known over here. On the beach the other day someone actually said "Is that jasper from the Guernsey Schnauzer Facebook group? " she doesn't even own schnauzers. She also commented he has a lovely wire coat :D
Our first family dog
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I think Jasper is entering a bit of a second fear stage. This past week he's become a bit skittish and woofy when out with runners, noisy kids or anything that takes him by surprise.

He certainly wasn't sure about this goat at first but soon decided it slept interesting =))
Image.
For anyone that's interested in the breed its Golden Guernsey goat. I think they are on the rare breeds list now.
Our first family dog
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Great photo and lovely to see the Golden Guernsey goat too :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I've not posted any photos recently its beautiful today so snapped a few. I maybe should have done them before he stuck his nose in everything :))
Mister wriggler moved while I was clipping his neck so has a bald neck :ymblushing:

Planning an escape route
Image.

Taking labels off bottles is a favorite pastime
Image.

Yes hes as cheeky and mischievous as he looks =))
Our first family dog
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Lovely pictures, he really has grown into such a beautiful looking boy (in fairness, he was a super-cute looking puppy) :D