Another new mini owner...help!

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Lorfal
Puppy
First Name: lorraine

Another new mini owner...help!

Post by Lorfal »

Hello, I’m from Scotland. Our wee cutie is coming up nine weeks and we have had her for really only 2 whole days. All I can say for the moment is help! And wow. She is salt and pepper and her name is Lupin. So far she seems to be adjusting rather well to her new home, and I am amazed to say brilliant with the toilet training. She is going out and letting us know she needs out....amazed at how clever she is.

We are at home all,day with her and she will never be left alone. We have 2 other dogs, both male cockapoos at 4 years old. They are not brothers, but are very in tune with each other. They are neutered and have good temperaments. We did not get them as new borns, but ‘rescued’ them both (not from shelters) when they were 6 months old, and 6 months apart.

I am looking forward to contributing ....through time of course as I know nothing lol. I also know I will get the help I need from this forum.

Having a puppy is a very new experience and quickly finding out exhausting, but soooo rewarding.

So I’m off to browse for help from everything to feeding, sleeping (for the humans) and help with problems with one of our dogs loving her and the other not so much .........I am hoping it’s only temporary .

Thankyou in advance to you all.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Another new mini owner...help!

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to you and Lupin.

Regarding the relationships between the dogs; they will eventually work it out. When I introduced a second one, the first one took 3 days before coming to terms with the fact she was here to stay and now they really look out for each other. The dog's are great at working things out and in almost a year I've never had to intervene; the instinctively know when to walk away and how far they can push things.

Love to see some photo's of Lupin. It's a compulsory condition of membership :))
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Lorfal
Puppy

Post by Lorfal »

GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi Lorraine

Lupin is gorgeous. I have a mini puppy, Monty (18 weeks old) and have found the forum to be invaluable. The people on here are really kind and have some great advice. :)
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Lorraine from another Scottish owner of a wonderful breed. Lupin is gorgeous, enjoy as they grow so fast. My Gino will be 2yrs old soon and cant believe how the time has gone since he came to us.

Hope you enjoy the forum.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum, Lorraine and Lupin :-)

Hope you find it helpful - there are lots of members who can share experiences and advice for you.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lorfal
Puppy

Post by Lorfal »

Thankyou all! I’ll be asking lots......and I’ve ordered a bottle of gin lol😜
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Welcome Lorraine and Lupin, Lupin looks a cracker :D
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Lupin is gorgeous. I suspect the gin will be for those quiet moments ... hope it keeps well, 2021 might be the year!! 😜
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Benfold1
First Name: Tracey

Post by Benfold1 »

Hi there,

I am new to this site and have been reading through a few of the posts. We picked little Mabel up at the weekend and I was interested in your post as we also have two male neutered cockapoos (and another Schnauzer), isnt that funny? Hope things are sorting themselves out - always takes a bit of adjustment for the rest of the pack. Sometimes the one who is slowest to accept the necomer, ends up being the closest playmate!! Look forward to reading how you are getting on.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Benfold1 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:54 Hi there,

I am new to this site and have been reading through a few of the posts. We picked little Mabel up at the weekend and I was interested in your post as we also have two male neutered cockapoos (and another Schnauzer), isnt that funny? Hope things are sorting themselves out - always takes a bit of adjustment for the rest of the pack. Sometimes the one who is slowest to accept the necomer, ends up being the closest playmate!! Look forward to reading how you are getting on.
Hi & welcome to the forum from me & my boy Gino
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Wizard_Dog_Harry
Puppy
First Name: Tj

Post by Wizard_Dog_Harry »

Lorfal wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 10:04 Hello, I’m from Scotland. Our wee cutie is coming up nine weeks and we have had her for really only 2 whole days. All I can say for the moment is help! And wow. She is salt and pepper and her name is Lupin. So far she seems to be adjusting rather well to her new home, and I am amazed to say brilliant with the toilet training. She is going out and letting us know she needs out....amazed at how clever she is.

We are at home all,day with her and she will never be left alone. We have 2 other dogs, both male cockapoos at 4 years old. They are not brothers, but are very in tune with each other. They are neutered and have good temperaments. We did not get them as new borns, but ‘rescued’ them both (not from shelters) when they were 6 months old, and 6 months apart.

I am looking forward to contributing ....through time of course as I know nothing lol. I also know I will get the help I need from this forum.

Having a puppy is a very new experience and quickly finding out exhausting, but soooo rewarding.

So I’m off to browse for help from everything to feeding, sleeping (for the humans) and help with problems with one of our dogs loving her and the other not so much .........I am hoping it’s only temporary .

Thankyou in advance to you all.
Hiya Lupin,
I know the struggle. I haven’t had a puppy before and I am finding it a little overwhelming if Im honest 😕 I suffer from a number of illnesses and some days are better than others however, Harry has no comprehension that his hoomum is sick. I need help with his separation anxiety, he screams so loud even if he is with my partner and I go into a shop. Im hoping as he gets older this will ease as its not great at the minute.
Lovely to meet you and hope things are improving for for you and Lupin ❤️
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi TJ, sorry to hear about your problems. Schnauzer bellowing when one of the walking party disappears into a shop is very very common and will not get better as he gets older I'm afraid without some training. Your partner needs some lovely treats to distract and keep him calm, do a few tricks with him, some sits, leave it, go find it etc. etc. to keep him entertained and get him to turn away from watching you go and you might be able to get him used to this but it needs work. The schnauzer motto is "who starts on the walk stays on the walk and no disappearing". I talk to Otto and OH goes wandering off I tell him "he is coming back if you sit nicely" and he does but absolutely cannot take his eyes off where they have gone. If I disappear that is a completely different story and I can usually hear him from inside the shop. Maybe someone else can give you some good ideas how to help this, I have always struggled.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi TJ - sorry to hear that you are struggling with Harry. Puppies are very hard work in the early months as they have much to learn while coping with teething (pain), getting used to new routines, house training and, of course, hormone surges as they mature.

Establishing routines is important in the early weeks so that a new puppy learns the pattern of rest times, meal times, play times etc. and begins to feel comfortable knowing what happens when in a kind of mental timetable. You also need to get a puppy used to being separated from you for some periods of time every day. Even if it seems that the puppy would never need to be apart from you (for example if you are home all day), it is absolutely certain that an occasion will arise at some time in the future when he cannot be with you e.g. at the vet for a procedure; if you or your partner have to be away from home at the same time for a hospital visit, special occasion, etc. It is vital that you work out a schedule of leaving Harry alone in the house, or in a separate room for short periods building up to longer so that he can gain confidence and settle when he is not with you. Leave him with a Kong or a snuffle mat or similar to entertain him and try initially to leave him when you know he is ready for a nap, has toileted and is comfortable.

It is quite natural for a social / pack animal like a dog to be unsettled when one of the pack/ family "disappears" when on a trip away from the home environment. As mentioned above, you could try to distract and calm him in situations where his anxiety is leading to him screaming. It would also be worth trying to accustom Harry to this kind of situation by taking him somewhere you can go in and out of a shop (or other building) returning quickly and gradually extending the time until he learns that you will return and have not gone forever! You can reward him for keeping quiet while you are away. Also does your partner spend time with Harry without you or is he primarily your dog? It could be worth trying to make sure (if this doesn't already happen) that you and your partner alternate spending one on one time with Harry so he has a good trusting relationship with you both.

The more enriching activities you can both do with Harry, the better your relationship should become and the less likely he will react by screaming or other "anti-social" behaviour. Communication between dogs and their humans is so important and often this is not given much thought and can lead (especially with intelligent dogs) to frustration on both sides. The dog wants to communicate his or her needs whether pain, hunger, playfulness, tiredness etc. and the human expects the dog to understand their needs and wishes as regards behaviour. Even without formal training classes, spending time fully engaging in play, adding training activities into every day and paying attention to a puppy can improve communication to a great extent and let your dog feel s/he can let you know what they want and you can help them to understand what you expect with rewards whether praise or treats.

There is a link here to some indoor games you can play with your puppy / dog - some interactive and some less so but all useful if it is too cold or wet to spend much time outside :)

https://positively.com/contributors/10- ... -your-dog/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/