Stripping Puppy Coat

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Minxsil
First Name: Kat

Stripping Puppy Coat

Post by Minxsil »

So, I've been hand stripping my mini and I've run into a bit of a problem. He's about a year old and still has some of his puppy coat around his bum/tail as he doesn't seem to want to sit still and let me strip him. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on removing the hair/keeping him still. I've tried treats, but he just runs off and won't stay still.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Stripping Puppy Coat

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Kat and welcome to the Forum :-)
The area around the bum is normally clippered rather than stripped and the tail hair can be scissored. It is really the jacket only that would be stripped although some people (especially with black schnauzers) may strip the hair on the head rather than clipping it.
Is the problem getting your mini to stand still in any event or just that he is resistant to those areas being stripped?
For the clippering and scissor work you probably need a grooming table with an arm extension to help keep him steady and also so he understands that the grooming is a time to stand still for you and he is rewarded when it is finished. You could set up a blanket or sheet or any suitable table you have at home if you don't want to invest in a grooming table but they can really help if you are home grooming your mini :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Kat,

I strip both of my minis and use clippers on their butt cheeks, top and side of head and ears. I had a grooming table bought as a present and I have to say that this made a huge difference to the process.

Edie, my second mini was a real wriggle pants and wouldn't stay still but once on the table with the noose round her neck, she soon realised that she was expected to stay still. Now, I've no need for the arm and noose as she stands as good as gold for me. I do most of the stripping with them on the floor, lying on an old sheet, and I place them however I need so that I can pull the knife through at a good angle.

Good luck.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Kat, you might be having the same problem as me. I have never been able to do the part of the jacket where it meets Otto's white bottom (at the sides) and in some areas down the thigh. As soon as I tried Otto turned his face towards it and tried to turn round so it must hurt him, I guess the skin is much more sensitive round there. So I rake/card that area so the dead hair does come away and use thinning scissors to keep those areas neat and tidy.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.