Regular sickness

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Regular sickness

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted although I pop by from time-to-time to read posts and reply to some :)

Oscar and Sasha are doing well, a picture of the pair from this morning...

I'm posting because Oscar seems to be sick around 2 or 3 times a week, pretty regularly. Always first thing in the morning before he has had a drink or his breakfast and it's always like a watery yellow/green bile, not much but enough for us to be concerned. We put him on Yudigest Plus powder around 4 months ago, we give him one sachet per day with food but this doesn't seem to have helped much. He seems fine in himself although a little bit sorry for himself immediately after being sick (understandable) but apart from that, he eats well, he seems to drink a lot more water than we ever remember and he exercises as normal, all his 'movements' are normal too! Diet etc has not changed at all.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or similar experiences?

We did 'Google' the symptoms a little while ago but all we found were articles around him having an empty stomach and acid (I think it was).

Thanks in advance :D
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Regular sickness

Post by Dawnspell »

This occasionally happened with Barney and a few times with Jasper. I found out it happens more often than not if a night time biscuit hadn't been given when going in the crate for the night, and also a little treat while I ate my breakfast, normally dehydrated chicken, before a walk and their breakfast.

This happened only last week with Jasper. I was ill and Dad hadnt given him his night time biscuit, they got up first and he didnt give him morning treat. Jasper started urging on the sofa and went outside bless him and brought up bile on the lawn. I've always put it down tho the empty stomach/acid thing.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Yes Mike it happened regularly with my Oscar. I started to give him a couple of pieces of either digestive or rich tea biscuit right before bed and then immediately when he woke up/got up. Never had the problem again. It was excess acid produced from being hungry/empty stomach exactly like Alison says. Thankfully an easy thing to cure.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thanks very much for your replies Alison and Julie. I guess I'm a bit stumped by this because both Oscar and Sasha do eat relatively constantly during the day and always get a little treat before bed when they come in from the garden (and sit nicely and let me clean their paws) but I'll try the rich tea or digestive trick and see how that goes.

I'm sure they will be happy with that :D
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Mike - I agree with Alison and Julie re the empty stomach / bile being the likely cause but just wanted to add that the YuDigest Plus powder is really for occasional use and more serious upset digestion (diarrhoea and vomiting) . I am sure it won’t do any harm to give more regularly but probably not needed. The YuDigest tablets can be used on a regular basis if necessary. It could explain why Oscar is drinking more than usual though as the powder contains a special kind of clay that is designed to bind to toxins and remove them from the gut and will be likely to make him need extra fluid :)

*edited to take out my comment re the amount as just checked our YuDigest plus box and it is 1 sachet for 5kg plus although the website states “ Small Breeds (up to 15kg) – ½ sachet” ! Sorry :D
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Mike,

Rosie has a defined in and out and has never brought anything up. Edie, on the other hand, does bring up a variety of substances and for different reasons.

What you describe, I am sure, is as described by Alison and Julie. Edie used to do the same but they now get a biscuit at bedtime, and since I started this, haven't had an occurrence of the morning bile problem.

Smashing photo of your pair. Sasha's just about staying where you wanted her :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 16:05 Thanks very much for your replies Alison and Julie. I guess I'm a bit stumped by this because both Oscar and Sasha do eat relatively constantly during the day and always get a little treat before bed when they come in from the garden (and sit nicely and let me clean their paws) but I'll try the rich tea or digestive trick and see how that goes.

I'm sure they will be happy with that :D
It doesn't seem to matter what the biscuit, but a biscuit has worked better than giving moist food before bed, Jasper normally has the small charcoal bones or homemade biscuit. Morning is normally small piece homemade dehydrated meat of some sort.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

We always have Rich Tea biscuits in the house so no problems there; Oscar and Sasha were very pleased to have one before bed last night and Oscar was fine this morning. We'll continue to repeat this and see how we go :)
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

That's good news :-bd
Our first family dog
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

How we all wish everything was so simple to fix... glad it's worked Mike.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Thanks; day two of a Rich Tea biscuit before bed and no sign of sickness for two mornings on the trot, so fingers crossed it was such a simple fix :)