Puppy Growth?

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Puppy Growth?

Post by RoseHunter »

Hi there,

Been a while since I've been on but got some questions about Leyna's growth. She's nearly 5 months old now however she measures at around 16 inches to the shoulder already. I mean this is quite big from what I've read, Her father was on the tall side but surely the growth slows down at some point since using the puppy growth chart she'd end up around the same size as a giant!
Also she does have really big paws too so I do suspect she'll be quite a big schnauzer but to be the size of a giant is not what I expected, either way don't worry she'll be kept regardless of her size, she's too precious after all.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Puppy Growth?

Post by Dawnspell »

I cant help Im afraid I only know about minis. Barney stopped in height growth at around 7 months Jasper was more like 10 months. The breed standard says ideal 18in for bitch but anything from 17" to 19" is ok so shes not over sized. Could be shes just had a growth spurt. They do go through a stage where theyre really all legs no body :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Post by RoseHunter »

Well she isn't going to be a show dog simply a companion but just surprised by her height at less than 5 months
1Daniel55
First Name: Dan

Post by 1Daniel55 »

Our boy Mateo is almost 16 inches and about 30 lbs he will be 6 months oct 21 he grew like crazy but between 3and 5 months he had slowed growing now his dad was 50 lb and that’s what the vet estimated he would end up between 45 and 50 pounds when full-grown.