Chewing my trouser legs!

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Stedders
Puppy
First Name: Paul
Dog #1: Ziggy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Aug 2020

Chewing my trouser legs!

Post by Stedders »

Ziggy (12 weeks old) has the rather irritating habit of biting at my trouser legs (my short term strategy is to tuck my trousers into a pair of old football sock!) but I am looking for any longer-term solutions.

The standard approach I take is to have other toys to hand, that I can use to distract him – this normally lasts for about five minutes before he reverts back to his default of just wanting to chew my trousers (or remnants of football socks).

I appreciate that all puppies go through such stages and that (hopefully) it is something he will grow out of – but I just wondered if anyone here had any tips or pearls of wisdom on this.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Chewing my trouser legs!

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ha, my Oscar used to do this and when I walked he used to sweep the floor with his bottom. Otto never did it, he likes to lick the floor instead. I think you are doing the right thing in not allowing it to happen re tucking your trousers away.. that's perfect, it's such a fab game for them. Distraction for something more interesting works also until they get bored as you have found out. He will grow out of it I promise, in the meantime, just remember it will be a fab memory for the future.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Just to add, great advice given to me was.... Ignore what you don't like, praise what you do like and manage what you think is unacceptable.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Is this just while you're walking or when sat down aswell ?

Jasper was an absolute teeth monster. He didn't go for trouser legs though he used to sink his needles into your feet:)) I taught him the touch command to touch my hand. Especially useful if you're trying to walk somewhere and don't have a distraction toy. You can put your hand to the front or side and ask for "touch" and reward and repeat to go where you want. With Barney my son was only 10 at the time and terrified of him biting, he wore wellies in the house and would stand still like a free if he started going for his feet :)) That worked :D

Have treats on you at all times so you can reward behaviours you like as they happen. I always have a little bank coin bag with some treats in a pocket at all times even now he's 18 months old.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Stedders
Puppy
First Name: Paul
Dog #1: Ziggy
Born: 04 Aug 2020

Post by Stedders »

Update: almost three weeks on and Ziggy just seems to have grown out of this. He's not done any of this sort of thing for the last couple of weeks.