puppy clothes

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy
First Name: Vivian
Dog #1: Limuh
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Nov 2020

puppy clothes

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently shopping some stuff for a puppy who will be coming in early Feb and I wonder if I should get some clothes for him. I'm assuming it will be freezing cold during Feb in Paris and I am planning to start a potty training right away to my outdoor balcony. I live in the top floor so, it might be taking forever to go down every hour to let him. My husband says he doesn't need any clothes since he has fur, but I think most puppies still need clothes during the winter if you take them outside.

What do you guys think? I think a raincoat is must to have to avoid their long hair soaking wet in rainy days, and maybe some onesie PJ for stepping outside to the balcony? (I don't know how long he will take to do his business out there, but I'm thinking 5-10mins on the balcony in winter) Feel free to let me know what you guys have for your puppies! :)
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: puppy clothes

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Vivian there will be different views but I have never used a coat on my schnauzers until they were very old and started to feel the cold, particularly the ciipped one I had. So I would see how they feel in the cold weather first. My current schnauzer is stripped with a double coat and he would overheat very quickly in a coat even in Winter. It's the Summer heat that's a problem, not the cold in my experience.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

You will soon get fed up of trying to put a onesie or a coat on every time you take pup out. The time it takes would also be issue. You need to take them out as soon as they wake-up, straight after food, and at end of a play session to ensure capturing success of a wee outside. A pup isn't going to wait for you to put coat on before it goes especially after a nap.

I do have raincoat for Jasper he's only worn it twice and those were days when I was also in full weather wet gear. Jasper is more prone to feeling cold rather than overheating, don't know if that's to do with him being white, but in winter provided he's on the go he doesn't get cold.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Thanks for the advices! I think I will wait until I see how he feels then.😊
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I have coats, hoodies, vests and boots for my mini. When he was a young pup (4lbs), he used to shiver outside in the evening (October Canada), so I made him a sweatshirt out of a sleeve from one of my hoodies.

Then I had him wear a tight fitting hoodie as a thundershirt to calm his anxiety at puppy class.

Now he wears a raincoat that I altered for him and sewed boots onto it because of the snow here. It sticks to his fur and makes HUGE snowballs by the end of our walk, and those are no fun for anyone. So it's worth it to me to gear him up for walks, he stays nice and clean and dry. Dogs pretty much have to wear boots here, the salt stings their paws. I remember I was "scolded" for not having boots on my girl for her walk in the winter. I used vaseline for her pads, but boots are just that staple here.

I don't see a deal with getting functional clothing for dogs personally, but I know a lot of folks aren't into it. As for time to get them on, I have a winter vest that just velcros on like a cape with a band around the belly/chest from the CKC. It takes literally 20 seconds to get on.

I never used to dress my dogs, but when my last girl was elderly, she would get chills easily and we got her some sweaters and coats. I guess I just followed suit for my pup when I saw what was all available. I admit, my husband didn't think he needed clothes either and wasn't a fan, but once he saw how cute he is in his hoodies and how much Ozzy seems to feel comforted, I haven't heard him oppose since.
UrbanGypsyViv
Puppy

Post by UrbanGypsyViv »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 06:03 I have coats, hoodies, vests and boots for my mini. When he was a young pup (4lbs), he used to shiver outside in the evening (October Canada), so I made him a sweatshirt out of a sleeve from one of my hoodies.

Then I had him wear a tight fitting hoodie as a thundershirt to calm his anxiety at puppy class.

Now he wears a raincoat that I altered for him and sewed boots onto it because of the snow here. It sticks to his fur and makes HUGE snowballs by the end of our walk, and those are no fun for anyone. So it's worth it to me to gear him up for walks, he stays nice and clean and dry. Dogs pretty much have to wear boots here, the salt stings their paws. I remember I was "scolded" for not having boots on my girl for her walk in the winter. I used vaseline for her pads, but boots are just that staple here.

I don't see a deal with getting functional clothing for dogs personally, but I know a lot of folks aren't into it. As for time to get them on, I have a winter vest that just velcros on like a cape with a band around the belly/chest from the CKC. It takes literally 20 seconds to get on.

I never used to dress my dogs, but when my last girl was elderly, she would get chills easily and we got her some sweaters and coats. I guess I just followed suit for my pup when I saw what was all available. I admit, my husband didn't think he needed clothes either and wasn't a fan, but once he saw how cute he is in his hoodies and how much Ozzy seems to feel comforted, I haven't heard him oppose since.
I see your point and I agree with you. I don't need to dress up my dog with a bunch of fancy stuff for showing, but I would have some basic necessary gears like raincoat, sweater, and eventually the boots for snowy or hot days. I just don't know the size of my pup yet as he will be coming in February. Thanks for sharing your experience! :D
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I see your point and I agree with you. I don't need to dress up my dog with a bunch of fancy stuff for showing, but I would have some basic necessary gears like raincoat, sweater, and eventually the boots for snowy or hot days. I just don't know the size of my pup yet as he will be coming in February. Thanks for sharing your experience! :D
Well it all depends on where you buy it, but bust is usually 16-22", length is about 12-14" for an adult mini. My boy is/will be at the max of that.

His paw size is about 2.10" long by 1.75" wide.