Schnauzers disliking each other

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
SnailPorridge
Puppy
First Name: Margherita
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 2012

Schnauzers disliking each other

Post by SnailPorridge »

Dear all,
I am writing for some advice. I have two schnauzers, Lottie, an 8 yrs standard (spayed) and Axl, a 3 year old giant (entire). They cohabited harmoniously until about a couple of months ago when Axl growl, snarled and went for Lottie on a number of occasions, generally in my presence, for example they would have previously sat beside me in my office and then boom one day he goes for her. A few other instances, so after ensuring he had no medical issues, we engaged a behaviourist and followed his advice, ingnore, praise when together, leave the room if he growls (he does not look like been taken by the collar and moved), go over basic training again, etc. This all seemed fine, till agin for two nights in a row, when they go out for a night tinkle, he goes and comes back, Lottie meanders in the garden, he will the position himself in the corridor and growl at her. We are now so concerned that are thinking these two cannot leave together and one will need to be rehomed. Based on the behaviourist and observation I think he is resource guarding spaces directly where I am, the corridor, leads to the stairs and in both latest instances he saw me heading upstairs. Any suggestions, tips, experiences anyone has had I can draw upon would be very helpful, I already feel I failed both dog and giving one up not a rod I want to go down to and my son would be devastated. Thank you for reading and supporting. SnailPorridge
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Schnauzers disliking each other

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Have you spoken to your vet or behaviourist about the option of neutering Axl. I am not an advocate of neutering a healthy dog but in this instance for the sake of harmony and to keep both your dogs it might be the right option. There is a chemical castration implant called Suprelorin that totally mimics surgical castration. It could help with this problem as the behaviour doesn't appear to be fear driven. The implant wears off, lasts over 12 months so gives you plenty of time to judge whether the operation would be beneficial. I would definitely talk it over with your vet/behaviourist.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Please don’t give up yet with Axl and Lottie as it does sound very much as though this is a ‘resource guarding’ situation which is actually very common in some form or another with dogs. We have a few of our toy breed dogs who are likely to react at different times to defend their position on my lap or beside me on the couch. When this happens, if they are going for each other, I separate them and have each in a different room / crate to calm down and, in general, knowing which dogs are more likely to react and in what situation, I try to avoid anything which I know may trigger a spat between them (we have 12 dogs). I would say that although they often sound as though they are killing each other it has always been noise and wrestling and never any actual injury. I realise that with a giant schnauzer being the more reactive / jealous there is the worry of the size difference but dogs do often threaten through scary and aggressive noise much more than actual injury and it can sound worse than it is. How does Lottie react - does she back away or act afraid? I am not saying to ignore the situation as you do want the two of them to be happy and relaxed with each other again but it easy to fear that a dog is being more aggressive than they actually are.

The advice from the behaviourist sounds good and it is encouraging that it was working.

I know from years back as well as currently that any one of our dogs can ‘guard’ entrance doorways or stairs against one or more of the others and this may include growling but is not at all as full on as resource guarding behaviour can be. Is Axl as ‘aggressive’ to Lottie on these occasions as when he didn’t want her to share your company in the office or is it just that you think it is a return of his previous behaviour? Has anything changed in the recent past - e.g. working from home more? Apparently many dogs are being identified with behaviours that are related to the unusual situation during the pandemic - barking more, suffering separation anxiety and becoming overly attached to owners who are around 24/7. Not that this means it isn’t a problem of course but it may not be something specific to Axl and Lottie.

Sometimes, situations that are causing a problem can be helped by managing them rather than trying to eliminate them. For example, if Axl is guarding the entrance to the house at night, try to let Lottie out on her own first and let Axl wait in another room and he can go out once she is back inside. It may be question of looking at each and every instance that the situations occur and see if there is a way of avoiding Axl becoming tense and reacting.

I know that at times some situations between dogs can seem insurmountable but it is rare for two dogs that have been living in harmony with each other for several years to suddenly be unable to live together without aggression. Relationships between dogs as with people may evolve into something different - tolerance rather than a close bond for example - but I am sure Axl and Lottie will be able to share your family life into the future and there is no need to contemplate rejecting one or the other. Don’t feel you have failed either dog but see if you can continue to work on the advice given by your behaviourist and return to ask for more help there if need be.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
SnailPorridge
Puppy

Post by SnailPorridge »

Thank you for the support and direction. It is encouraging to hear I do t own devil dogs. Indeed it has been on the back of me being home 24/7 alongside emu son and partner without the usual coming and goings, those two must be fed up of he sight of us 😀
SnailPorridge
Puppy

Post by SnailPorridge »

I hit submit too quickly, Lottie now backs away whereas before she reacted back, now she backs off and checks where he is when back in the room.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

SnailPorridge wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 22:18 I hit submit too quickly, Lottie now backs away whereas before she reacted back, now she backs off and checks where he is when back in the room.
I am sure that changes in routine in the household such as those associated with the pandemic / lockdown restrictions etc. are bound to affect dogs in any family and can lead to changes in behaviour.

I asked about Lottie’s reaction as it would make a difference if both dogs were getting into a fight especially being large dogs! However, if Lottie is accepting to some extent of Axl asserting himself as regards sitting on the sofa or similar situations, it may be easier to allow this hierarchy between them. It can be challenging to us humans at times when we want the dogs in the family to have equal status and the dogs have other ideas but having one dog as ‘top dog’ of the canines is not necessarily a problem as long as it is accepted by the others and does not result in any dog being bullied or mistreated by the other/s.

Do rely on the advice of the behaviourist who has been able to personally assess your dogs and the situation but just to share some thoughts from our family. With 12 dogs of two different breeds, we have noticed a definite hierarchy among them with our affens all regarding themselves as superior to the miniature schnauzers and the eldest affenpinscher (14 years old, only 3.8 kg in weight and almost the smallest of them all) as ‘top dog’. The mini schnauzers give way to the affens in any dispute over a place on the sofa (for example) and different affens are aware of their position in the ‘pecking order’ among themselves. There will be the periodic warning growl or even a spat between them on the odd occasion but they are all happy, get plenty of individual attention from us and have their favourite companions or special private dens depending on their personal preference.

It is different to some extent with only 2 dogs but, as Axl has matured and, given the effect the changed routines at home may have had on him, he may be feeling he wants to assert his position as he sees it with regard to Lottie. As I say, certainly intervene if you feel Lottie is being bullied, frightened or distressed by Axl’s behaviour but, if it is intermittent and only in certain circumstances and Lottie is dealing with this in her own way, it may be easier for you and the dogs to manage the situations rather than become overly anxious about wanting them both to be best friends again.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/