Splayed or "eastie westie" feet on 5m.o. puppy

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Greything
Puppy
First Name: Inna

Splayed or "eastie westie" feet on 5m.o. puppy

Post by Greything »

We have a 5 months old standard schnauzer puppy - quite substantial heavy boned one and he is displaying splayed (outward turned) feet. Is it something to worry about and try to correct or is it normal at this age?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Splayed or "eastie westie" feet on 5m.o. puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum, Inna :)

I have no experience of standard schnauzers but this does not sound normal to me. Have you spoken to your puppy’s breeder about this? I would definitely have your puppy examined by a vet, preferably one with orthopaedic expertise who will be best placed to give you a professional opinion on this and they may also be able to offer a view on how to correct it if it is necessary.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Greything
Puppy
First Name: Inna

Re: Splayed or "eastie westie" feet on 5m.o. puppy

Post by Greything »

Hi, Zeta, the breeder is concerned about the feet but I have read on the other forum about Dobermans :) that this is a developmental issue and usually corrects itself when puppy matures and chest develops /drops down. So the elbows will be pushed out and feet will straighten. So I was hoping to see if anyone else encountered similar thing and if it got resolved with growth?