Harness ?

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
katieb
Puppy
First Name: Kathy
Dog #1: Gracie
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Jun 2021

Harness ?

Post by katieb »

Hi there

We are due to pick up our MS puppy next week (Gracie) when she will be 8 weeks old & I would appreciate any advice re using a harness for walks? She wont be going for walks until about 12 weeks I know & will still be small - should we start with a harness so that she gets used to it & we don't hurt her if she pulls on the lead? Can you get harnesses that small?

Many thanks

Kathy
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Harness ?

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes I would use a harness. I bought one for Jasper to wear before he could go on the ground for fastening him in his carry pouch and in the car. They grow so quick I think Jasper had 3 different sizes before his final one so dont spend a fortune. Most pet shops will allow you to take puppy in and help with the fitting. Introduce it to her slowly over a few days. Just reward her for going near it to start with, then start touching it to her body and rewarding before actauly putting it on. I'm sure Kikopup on youtube has a video about introducing a harness. I prefer one with a neck clip and body clip. Step in ones are a real faff with a wriggly puppy and a lot of dogs dont like the other type going over their heads.

She could hurt her neck on a collar by pulling far easier than on a harness. Yes you can get them for Chihuahuas so no problem for a mini
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
katieb
Puppy

Post by katieb »

Thanks Dawn - I'll have a look on Amazon & pop into Pets at Home
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I would highly recommend Perfect Fit harnesses - we have used these for many years now for all our pups and dogs. As they come in separate sections you can upgrade pieces if need be without having to buy a whole new harness. The company are very helpful if you contact them about specific sizing but there is a link here to their website:

https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfec ... rness.html

You do need to be careful when buying harnesses that they do not go straight across the chest or impede the shoulder movement as these can have a detrimental effect on puppies’ growth and cause orthopaedic problems later in life. We have been advised of this by the canine chiropractor we visit with our elderly affenpinscher. You need a Y shape front piece for the chest :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
katieb
Puppy

Post by katieb »

Great thanks Zeta - I'll have a look & any advice very much appreciated. Regards Kathy
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014