Giant Schnauzer shedding/grooming/heat

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Old_time_madisonian
First Name: David

Giant Schnauzer shedding/grooming/heat

Post by Old_time_madisonian »

Please clarify this for me. I've read that the GS is close to hypoallergenic and does not shed. That long curly haired breeds are often like this. One only has to spend the time or money to cut the hair a few times a year (if one is not fussy about its appearance and just for good health) and the just brush daily. You will see little dog hair in the house.

I have also heard that the GS does shed. If so, does it shed often? Could I keep it outdoor for the brief period when it sheds and the rest of the time indoor?

Where I live is dry and hot in the summer, up to 40C but low humility 20% RH or lower. If I cut its hair very short, to about an inch throughout, would it do OK for a few days like this? My GSD does OK, no problem at all. Would the GS be much less heat tolerant? Of course, it will always be under the shade will plenty of drinking water, as my GSD is.