Fussy GS eater: what’s best alternative to raw?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Backfromthedead22
First Name: BD

Fussy GS eater: what’s best alternative to raw?

Post by Backfromthedead22 »

Hi there,

My 12 month old bitch has become very fussy since moving to adult food.

She used to be on Ava, then Eukanaba and Orijen (all
large breed varieties) mixed together as a puppy (she wolfed all of it down).

Then when we began moving to adult food, she was eating a mix of Orijen, Bentley’s and Wolfworthy. (Often with sardines and salmon oil — or an egg mixed in, as she was less keen on adult than puppy food…)

Now, however, she won’t touch any of the aforementioned food, unless it’s heavily mixed with some form of wet food. And even then, she spits a lot of her kibble out.

If I put plain kibble down, she just goes without…

She very recently tried some raw defrosted food at my parents’ house (as they feed their boys raw) and she lapped it up. But, we don’t have the freezer room for it, unfortunately.

So, I tried Pure’s ‘tailored’ dehydrated food, which she liked. But her stomach still hasn’t taken to it. (She doesn’t have a particularly sensitive stomach, but it’s been quite loose…)

Pure is also very expensive — and I don’t know if it is worth it. Slightly loathe the naff pretence that it is tailored to her etc.

Are there any recommendations of wet, dehydrated or ever raw that doesn’t require vast freezer room, which have worked well for you?

Would love to hear what people do with their fussy Giants!

All best,
B.D.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Fussy GS eater: what’s best alternative to raw?

Post by Dawnspell »

I dont have a fussy giant but I do have a fussy mini. He wont eat any of the raw complete, he'll take one nugget if I hand feed it and wont go near the minced type =))

He doesnt have any stomach issues so can be fed a variety of different foods without any problems. Ones he has regularly are Natures Variety freeze dried raw nuggets no freezer required but close to feeding raw, Naturo grain and gluten free canned, Platinum and Eden semi moist, the semi moist is a lot easier for them to digest than the hard kibble but its still firm enough not to make any mess and is nice a smelly in a good way :)) Both companies send out samples but I think I had to pay small fee for Eden. Ziwi peak air dried but not very often its very expensive, I also tried Innocent pet air dried, again you can get sample for small charge, he liked it but they wanted to charge more for the postage than the food to Guernsey :D I did also try Aatu kibble and tinned which he liked I dont feed the kibble anymore but he has the occasional tin.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"